Runnin' Her Until She Dies. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Runnin' Her Until She Dies.

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wj Runnin' Her Until She Dies.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with my 03 WJ. My dad bought it when I was 15 and I drove it once in a while in high school. My dad would let me drive it on weekends if I washed it Sunday afternoon. "My" car was a 1998 Toyota Tercel, so getting to drive the WJ was a treat. I went to college, my parents sold the Tercel and all was good. About junior year in college and doing Army ROTC it got to the point where I needed a vehicle. I was looking at buying some junker and my dad decided to give me "an early graduation/Army commission present." I bought the WJ from him for a nice $7,000, 0% interest parent-loan. I paid him about $150-250/month depending on how my finances were for the month. I graduated college, commisioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Army and paid him off for the Jeep. Shortly after I deployed to Afghanistan and my fiancee (now wife) had a POS car so she sold that and drove my Jeep while I was deployed. I come home the next year and it seems to be running great. I change the fluid in the tranny, diffs, and transfer case and next thing I know the tranny crapss on me while on a road trip. A $1,100 fix and major headache later I'm not in love with the Jeep anymore. Now I'm paranoid it's going to crap on me all the time.

It's been a year now since I've put any big money into it, just routine maintenance and trying to get ahead of any issues. My wife and I decided that instead of selling it while it's still worth decent money, I'm going to drive it until it costs more to fix than it's worth. It's got about 115k miles on it and runs pretty well. I'll post the work I do in this thread, but it's not going to be nearly as cool as the real "build threads" I've seen. I like to spend $$ and mod my motorcycle so the Jeep is low on the totem-pole.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the forum and of Jeeps in general. Hopefully my WJ will look almost as cool as most on here some day!

dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a huge fan of plastidip and while being forced to "be at work" but have no work to do today (gotta love the Army), I decided to plastidip the cladding. I wasn't sure if I would like the white/black scheme so I'm going to give it a few days. I'm going to do the bumpers tomorrow. I underestimated how much plastidip I would need.

Here are some pics:

I ripped all the "chrome" plastic wrap off the grill and painted it to make the bumper last Fall. I also put in the mesh inserts that I made with gutter guard.

More pics tomorrow when I finish the bumpers.

Last edited by dcocch; 08-04-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
waxon
2000 WJ 

Welcome to the forums! Plenty of good help around here. I have a 2000 WJ with 120k on it. Just keep up with the maintenance. They are loads of fun and good family vehicles also.

Sent from my iPhone using that little keyboard
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the welcome. I was actually a member for a year or so before but I couldn't remember what my username/password were so I made a new account in Jan. I'm much more of a "regular" on motorcycle forums but I'll try and add my two cents when I can.
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Welcome! 115,000 miles? Thats just getting broken in especially for a 4.0. I love mine and I wont ever junk it for any reason unless it gets totaled somehow. Transmission prolems for the 42re are hit and miss, some never die, others do at a low mileage. Mines still on the original trans and I service it yearly with cheapo walmart atf+4 and a cheap rock auto filter kit. Last time I dropped the pan it was clean inside. Hope it stays that way.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota View Post
115,000 miles? Thats just getting broken in especially for a 4.0.
It's not the engine I'm worried about...it's the dang transmission!

My goal is to get to 200,000 miles which will probably take me 10 more years b/c I don't put a lot of miles on her. I think she's got about 2k miles since Jan...and that includes a 500 mile move.
My wife works from home and I ride the bike to work most days. I'm not really into wheeling unless I'm in a GOV and I don't have to pay to fix it!
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've been doing some reading and being fairly fresh to the Jeep lingo, I'm getting confused. Hopefully I'm not completey off base...but BB = Budget Boost(?) = 2" or 3" lift?

I've also read that if I replace my spring isolators I could get 1/2" - 1" higher since they are almost 10 years old. I put on Bilstein shocks back in January but I have never done anything else suspension related. Is it just as simple as buying springs, removing old springs, and installing new ones? Or are the additional parts that need to get replaced with springs?

Finally...I saw on a different thread someone posted about doing a "cheap lift with 2" spacers." I'd love to get 2" on the cheap! The most off-roading I do is on gravel roads so I don't need anything too crazy.
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
waxon
2000 WJ 

Talk with Kolak here on the forums. He can see u up with a bb. Yea that's a budget boost and yea isolators go bad they get compressed and you loose height. So If you did a 2 inch budget boost with new isolators you"could" gain up to 3 inches from where you are now depending in how bad your isolators are. I gained 2.5 when I did my BB with isolators.

Unread 08-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
waxon
2000 WJ 

Spacers would be the BB. And no you wouldn't have to replace your springs with one. It is just a rubber spacer that you put between the frame and spring to give you added height

Unread 08-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I sent Kolak a PM. Thanks for the help.
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
waxon
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcocch
I sent Kolak a PM. Thanks for the help.
He's a good guy and can get you darn near anything you would need for your jeep.

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcocch View Post
It's not the engine I'm worried about...it's the dang transmission!

My goal is to get to 200,000 miles which will probably take me 10 more years b/c I don't put a lot of miles on her. I think she's got about 2k miles since Jan...and that includes a 500 mile move.
My wife works from home and I ride the bike to work most days. I'm not really into wheeling unless I'm in a GOV and I don't have to pay to fix it!
Service it on a regular basis (yearly) and you wont have any issues. These transmissions arent as bad as people make them seem. But they do require attention and special fluids. Change that, adjust your bands, add a cooler and youll get a long service life out of it. I had a 42re in my 98 dakota so this isnt my first rodeo with these.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
JayPeePee
2001 WJ 

I have an 01 4.0 with the 42re that looks just like yours. I got it with about 80k on it and the trans was never quite right in it, it would just slip here and there. But it lasted until 260k when I found pieces of snap ring in the pan. I love mine so much I just put a junkyard tranny in there and hopefully I'm good to go for quite a few more
JayPeePee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I finished the rest of the plastidipping today. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about white/black, but I actually like it. As I stared at the WJ I wondered why on earth did they make a white jeep with greyish-brown bumpers/cladding, and black handles, mirrors, and roof rack?!?
I'm not sure how well the 'dip will hold up. I've used it on my motorcycle with great durability so I'm hopeful. Worst case, if it peels I'll rip it off and use rustoleum bedliner now that I know I like the black.

I also plastidipped the tail lights. I've heard it's basically a non-permanent way to do nightshades so I gave it a shot. I masked the reverse lights b/c it looks cool with the white. It's nice to know that if a cop ever pulls me over I can just peel it off in front of him.

You can still see the tail lights and turn signals (hazards here) really well.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied for about $20 worth of plastidip and 3-4 hours of time.
Next up is plastidipping the wheels!
Unread 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
robby65
2007 XK Commander 

looks great,
you did the handles and roof rack over too?i like the way the lights came out.
robby65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.