Rubbing sound when making a left hand turn... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rubbing sound when making a left hand turn...

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
skullman80
2004 WJ 

Wj Rubbing sound when making a left hand turn...

Ok... so I just got my first Jeep, a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited Edition with about 79k on it.

... with that being said yesterday after I started driving it for a bit, I noticed a slight vibration/humming sound when making a left hand turn. This only happens when making a left hand turn, and it seems like it's more pronounced the sharper it is.

I don't think the tires are rubbing, any ideas?

The other thing that pops up as soon as I turn my jeep on is bad tire sensor/sensor missing on the EVIC. Now when I test drove this thing, I didn't drive a full 10 miles, so I think that's why this didn't pop up then.

I read through the book, and how to retrain the sensors as I thought that might be the the problem, but no matter what I do I cannot get the horn to chirp as the book says when you put that little round magnet on the stem of the tire. It just stays at testing left front tire/wheel and eventually aborts because I've taken to much time.

I'm hoping this is an easy fix, I got this at a dealer and did get an extended warranty on it, but they can't get me in till mid next week, so I was hoping for some things I might be able to check/try myself.

Thanks!

skullman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
mirra9112
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I do not know much about WJs, but I had an issue with my TJ where I heard a noise from under the Jeep only when turning right (and braking hard). It turned out to be my front driveshaft rubbing against the exhaust down pipe. I'm not saying this is definitely your issue, but check to make sure your driveshaft is not rubbing something.
mirra9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Lil_Ape
2002 WJ 

The rubbing sound could be low friction modifier In the diffs.

Sent from my LG Optimus using JeepForum
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
skullman80
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Ape View Post
The rubbing sound could be low friction modifier In the diffs.

Sent from my LG Optimus using JeepForum
So changing the differentials might do the trick?

Is this easy to do?

This stuff is kind of greek to me, but I'm trying to learn.
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Add FM to your diff fluid If you have the Quadradrive??? Or change diff fluid and transfer case fluid. If its a Quadradrive its very important you put the right Stuff in There. Nv-247 fluid only for transfer case. 75w-140 syntetic gear oil front and rear diff. Add about 4oz FM (friction modifier) to both diffs.

If you dont have the Quadradrive, dont care of What i wrote.

Post What 4x4 system you have so We can give you right recomandations about fluids etc.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
skullman80
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Add FM to your diff fluid If you have the Quadradrive??? Or change diff fluid and transfer case fluid. If its a Quadradrive its very important you put the right Stuff in There. Nv-247 fluid only for transfer case. 75w-140 syntetic gear oil front and rear diff. Add about 4oz FM (friction modifier) to both diffs.

If you dont have the Quadradrive, dont care of What i wrote.

Post What 4x4 system you have so We can give you right recomandations about fluids etc.
I do have a Quadradrive yes.

Is that what you mean by 4X4 system?
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Yes, change all fluids and use the proper ones as described in pre post. That Will fix your problem.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
skullman80
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Yes, change all fluids and use the proper ones as described in pre post. That Will fix your problem.
Am I doing any damage waiting til mid next week to do this? That's my only concern.

I don't know if I feel I can do it, and that's the earliest the dealer can get me in to have it looked at.

Do you think this problem would have thrown a bad tire sensor problem as well on the EVIC?
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

The fluid change Are quit easy If you have some minor tools and a place to do it and a little skills. No lift needed.

I Had bindings in My diff for a while without braking anything but i recomend you fix it, the faster the better.

Unread 07-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
skullman80
2004 WJ 

Quote:
The fluid change Are quit easy If you have some minor tools and a place to do it and a little skills. No lift needed.

I Had bindings in My diff for a while without braking anything but i recomend you fix it, the faster the better.
Well hopefully that is all that it is, I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hopefully the sensor isn't bad on one of the tires either, but I'll have that looked at by the dealer too. I tried to retrain them, but had no luck.
Unread 07-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #11
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

My FM and fluid was low on my front and the axle would feel locked when I turned corners. This was do to a bad inner axle shaft seal.
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.