Rubbing/Binding sounds while making sharp turns on payment. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rubbing/Binding sounds while making sharp turns on payment.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
VA-WJ
2000 WJ 

Wj Rubbing/Binding sounds while making sharp turns on payment.

As I pulled though a sharp left hand turn at the drive though last night, it was as if the wheels were having the break applied as I was trying to move forward. A rubbing sound came from the front wheel/axle area. The second I straightened out the wheel from the sharp turn, everything freed up. Almost like a binding / grabbing feeling. When I turned out of the parking lot (another sharp right turn) it grabbed / rubbed for a second time. When I straightened up the wheel, everything went back to normal.

Do you guys think this is a binding differential? Should I change front and rear differential fluids? Do I have something wearing out?

I am slowly approaching my service change interval for the front and rear differential fluid. Could my binding issue be related to my fluids needing to be changed?

VA-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

If it's a limited with quadradrive, it could be the all-time 4wd kicking in due to the difference in wheel speed when turning tightly. Mine does this constantly, even though I don't have QD but have a detroit true trac in front. It never hurts to swap your diff fluid with factory recommended fluids and add some new OEM friction modifier.
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
VA-WJ
2000 WJ 

Planetcat - I did forget to mention I have a 4.7 Limited with Quadradrive full time 4wheel drive with 154,000 miles on the clock.

I know that my father in law had synthetic diff fluid added (unknown vendor) and I see that Friction Modifier was added according to the service records that were provided to me at the time I purchased the vehicle.

I have seen posts about Redline diff fluid having the FM already added and I have also seen posts where people just run OEM Fluids only in their differentials.

I have about 8,000 miles before the change is due, but I didn't know if you guys saw any value add from changing fluids early and if you would recommend going with a different fluid for the differentials?

Thanks!
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
cuttysark

VA-WJ: Are you referring to the service interval denoted by the dealer when you say youre 8k out from change? if so, I believe they ask for it to be changed every 60K, I have read many people say a minimum of 30K, for our transfer cases (I dont have Q-Drive but have the same case - 247 just different axles), I am heeding everyones warning to be on the safe side, Im going to do mine every 30,000 KM. In fact I just did it.

I would definately change yours asap, why not? It's only $17/qt from dealer and AFAIK no friction modifier is needed. NV247/249 Mopar Fluid (light honey in color). Dealer only.

EDIT: HAHA! when I heard binding I immediately thought transfer case, you were talking about differentials..! Definately check your transfer case first, not your differentials! Can almost guarantee its that. I would change fluid, warm it up and do some figure 8's in a parking lot to see if it helped.

If not, you may need it to be serviced.
cuttysark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

VA-WJ: It's your front diff. When I get close to my service interval sometimes I'll get a little binding, also if I do a super tight turn and it's getting good traction it will bind a little. It's normal... Just make sure when you service the diff's you use the correct friction modifier.

Personally I just buy the friction modifier from the dealer and the regular 75w-140 synthetic diff. fluid from any parts store...

http://wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm#FAXLE

After I change it I go into the desert by my house and do tight figure 8's to get it all worked in. If you haven't done a lot of tight turns/offroading, it probably wouldn't hurt to find a gravel/dirt lot and do some tight figure 8's anyway. There should be no binding on that type of surface b/c it will allow the wheels to travel at different speeds easier.
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttysark View Post
! Definately check your transfer case first, not your differentials! Can almost guarantee its that.

It's not... it's the front diff., what he described is normal
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
99WJdan
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
If it's a limited with quadradrive, it could be the all-time 4wd kicking in due to the difference in wheel speed when turning tightly. Mine does this constantly, even though I don't have QD but have a detroit true trac in front. It never hurts to swap your diff fluid with factory recommended fluids and add some new OEM friction modifier.
Mine does it too, its normal for quadradive systems. Like Planetcat said, it thinks the wheel is slipping and 4wd kicks in. Happens all the time when turning into/out of tight parking spaces.
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

Agree with everyone that this is normal. Mine does it too. I just try not to force it since having the quadradrive kick in on pavement is rough on the diffs. Better and nicer to make wider turns once you get a feel for it. Save the abuse for the trails.
fosterjd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
VA-WJ
2000 WJ 

Thank you to everyone who posted! I will rest a little easier this weekend when I take "Ol' Rusty" out on the beach this weekend in the Outer Banks.

I have never noticed the issue off road before but on road in drive-thru's especially, I would hear the binding/rubbing.
Unread 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

You don't notice it off-road b/c the loose traction allows your wheels to travel at slightly diff. speeds easier. When on pavement that doesn't happen as easy, which causes the binding issue. I only notice it when making hard, tight u-turns in town, when I have the steering locked all the way to one direction.
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
cuttysark

lesson learned. QD systems this is normal. glad nothing is wrong OP
cuttysark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
jeeplover93
1999 WJ 

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread...

My dad and step mom have an 02 Limited with Quadradrive. I've been getting it ready for a road trip for them by changing out all of the fluids, this includes the transfer case and diffs. For the transfer case I used Mopar fluid, since a WJJeeps says that's the only thing recommended. For the front and rear diffs I used Valvoline Synthetic for limited slip, 75w-140. My dad noticed that while making a u-turn that there is a horrible rubbing sound now. I took it for a drive and found that the sound seems to be coming from the back of the car and sounds like the rear diff binding up. But as I continued driving and turning in different ways, the sound seemed to go away. I've heard on some cars the diffs won't behave well until the fluid gets warm, I wonder if that is what's going on. A little insight would be very much appreciated!!
jeeplover93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplover93 View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread... My dad and step mom have an 02 Limited with Quadradrive. I've been getting it ready for a road trip for them by changing out all of the fluids, this includes the transfer case and diffs. For the transfer case I used Mopar fluid, since a WJJeeps says that's the only thing recommended. For the front and rear diffs I used Valvoline Synthetic for limited slip, 75w-140. My dad noticed that while making a u-turn that there is a horrible rubbing sound now. I took it for a drive and found that the sound seems to be coming from the back of the car and sounds like the rear diff binding up. But as I continued driving and turning in different ways, the sound seemed to go away. I've heard on some cars the diffs won't behave well until the fluid gets warm, I wonder if that is what's going on. A little insight would be very much appreciated!!
Did you add FM to it, even though the Valvoline says it is added? You might want to get some from a dealership and add, run it in figure 8's until it goes away.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
pat85
2001 WJ 

jeeplover93, I used the same stuff you did and I got that growl from my front diff. I went to the dealer and got Mopar's FM. The growl went away in short time.
Sold: 98 ZJ
pat85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.