Royal Purple Differential - FM? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Royal Purple Differential - FM?

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
wschilawskiw
2002 WJ 

Question Royal Purple Differential - FM?

Hey all,

I have an '02 4.7 with Quadra-Trac II. I'm looking at changing the differential fluid and I'm wondering what to get. I've heard great things about royal purple, but I'm unsure if I need to have FM added. Some people say yes, some people say no. Also, I don't tow very often, a few times out of the year.

I know there are plenty of threads out there, but all I need is a simple list of things to get.

Thanks in advance!

wschilawskiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The Royal Purple is a Full Synthetic and you shouldn't need to add anymore LSD additives. I was using RP in my 05 Rubicon until I recently removed the diff cover to repair a leaky air locker hose. I went with the cheap Full Synthetic that Wal-Mart sells at 11.50 a jug vs 19.00 for the RP Full Synthetic.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I run just the RP with no extra FM and have had no issue. The FM in the RP is sufficient for quadradrive even.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
straty1987

i ran RP with the FM for limited slip and i need to add some FM, i used the mopar FM since i oicked up some with the 247 fluid.

put RP in, if you get sounds just add soem FM
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
wsar10
2003 WJ 

If you hav the D44 rear than you need to add a FM, I would go to the "stealer" and get the MOPAR FM.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

What sounds are you refering to?
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Royal purple is the best stuff. I use royal purple for all the fluids exept oil because oil gets changed more often than the other fluids so its too expensive to use their motor oil. If you have the dana 44 with LSD than you may need to add some fm if you get any noise from the rear on sharp turns at slow speed. I have it but didn't bother with the fm but when I change the fluid I may add some this time.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe View Post
What sounds are you refering to?
when you make a sharp turn at slow speeds sometimes the tires will screech if the FM is not right in the Diff with Limited slip
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My 05 Rubicon has an Dana 44 with LSD and I run straight RP 75w140. Zero issues and I had the RP in for close to 25K and it still looked clean and purple. On the RP and Mobil1 bottles they say fully compatible with LSD.

I've never had the rear end of my Jeep chatter with the RP/Mobil1 or Lucas 80w90/75w140 diff fluid. On my old 89 Mitsubishi Montero's with a LSD they did chatter and required an LSD additive, but at the time I also was running straight dino 80w90 gear oil vs full synthetic.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

I use RP in My diffs on My WJ Quadradrive, Had to add some mopar FM to Get rid of the chatter/bindings in the diff.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Strange, I get no tire lockup or chirp with straight RP, but then again im on 32s.
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I'm not a big Royal Purple fan, but it all comes down to what 4WD system you have. The JKs use a different LSD so there's no point comparing the two. If you have Quadra Trac II, you do not need friction modifier of any sort as there is no limited slip differential to worry about.

Also, just because a fluid is synthetic does not mean it has FM or is compatible with QuadraDrive. The only two fluids known to be "good to go" right from the bottle are Redline 75W140 GL5 and Amsoil SevereGear 75W140. I prefer the Redline.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschilawskiw View Post
Hey all,

I have an '02 4.7 with Quadra-Trac II. I'm looking at changing the differential fluid and I'm wondering what to get. I've heard great things about royal purple, but I'm unsure if I need to have FM added. Some people say yes, some people say no. Also, I don't tow very often, a few times out of the year.

I know there are plenty of threads out there, but all I need is a simple list of things to get.

Thanks in advance!
It would be very rare for a 2002 Quadra-Trac II WJ to have a Vari-Lok rear (LSD) differential. It would have had to be ordered and it would have been an extra cost option. Normally only Quadra-Drive WJs were certain to have Vari-Lok differentials. All WJs with the 4.7 came with the D44a whether it had Vari-Lok or not. Only Vari-Lok equipped differentials need FM.

If you remove the cover to drain the old lube, as most people do, a Vari-Lok differential will look different than an open differential. That would definitely tell you whether or not FM is needed. As I indicated above, it is very, very unlikely that your 02 QTII will need FM.
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Well gents all this talk about diff's prompted me to check my records and I have not done my rear in 20k mi.
So i just ordered up some AMSOIL extreme gear 75w140 and will be doing it tomorrow, got it for 15 bucks a qt. at my buddy's 4x4 shop.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

RP says right on the bottle Limited Slip/Posi-Track.....

From Royal Purple's website:

Quote:
"All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary."
And who is talking about JK's?? My 05 IS NOT a JK lol

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.