Rough Idle, Spark plugs, vacuum leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Idle, Spark plugs, vacuum leak

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
snorander
2001 WJ 

Rough Idle, Spark plugs, vacuum leak

Well I finally got around to changing my spark plugs. Turns out the previous owner had platinum's in it and they were pretty nasty. It was pretty easy to change them even the passenger side rear wasn't bad at all I just used two 3" extensions and a flex head socket wrench and it came right out with no trouble. The pain in the *** for me was after installing the new plugs the plug socket would get stuck & not come out, happened on 8! Had to climb up a grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it out.

So prior to changing my plus I had a fluctuating low idle. I changed the tps sensor, cleaned the intake, & the other sensor which I can't remember what it's called at the moment, but the problem persisted. I just assumed it was the plugs, and the plugs were pretty bad. While I was in there I noticed one of the vacuum connectors was dry rotted & cracked. so I replaced it.

So far so good, runs & idles like a champ. So before you go replacing sensors take a minute to check the vacuum connectors and you might save yourself a few bucks!

Steve

snorander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
CLUBSFIT
2003 WJ 

Thanks for info! Can you show which hose that was? I have been chasing a low idle especially when hot.
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
snorander
2001 WJ 

It is one that connects to the intake, there are two hoses that connect, check them both
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
snorander
2001 WJ 

here is a pic, it is the small ruber hose that connects the tube to the intake. The one closest to the firewall was the bad one on mine. Much to my dismay, this morning the low Idle showed up again at a stop light. It only seems to happen when in Drive and at a stop. If I shift into park or neutral the idle jumps right back up.....and it doesn't happen all the time which makes it more frustrating....

Unread 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
beaverbuster420
2002 WJ 

Wj vacuum line

Had the same issue on my 4.0 ended up just bring the vacuum lines for my idle speed controller. Had one totally disconnected and another all cracked and dried. Needless to say, those $2 parts fixed the idle problem, and overall performance.
beaverbuster420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.