Rough Idle and misfiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Idle and misfiring

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 11-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Bshearer25
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rough Idle and misfiring

I purchased a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 last winter and I've had constant issues with it even after putting a different engine in it. I've talked to several people and had it at a mechanic and no one can seem to figure out what is wrong with it. HELP!

A little background history.. In the original engine, the electrode fell out of the spark plug and put a whole in the piston, which in return messed up the cylinder. I purchased another motor that had a cracked piston skirt for $100. I fixed the piston and went through the rest of the motor and put new bearings, rings, gaskets on it. I put the engine back in and it still not running correctly.

It runs smooth at times (not very often, but sometimes) but it seems that when it acts up it's like it only runs on a couple cylinders. It loses power and had trouble maintaining speed. It idles rough and jerks every once in a while like it is running out of gas. It has been sucking the gas. I put $15 in an 30 miles it was on E again. I did notice that the temperature is staying on about 150 degrees when being driven so I'm going to put a new thermostat on it. The mechanic said that # 1 and 6 are showing a dead cylinder. All sensors have check out fine, the fuel pressure is good, and compression is good. I've replaced the injectors in 1, 5 & 6. The catalytic convertor was glowing red and clogged so I cut them off, beat the honeycomb out, and welded them back up. Today, I reset the computer and it ran fine for a while, but started acting up again. If I turn the Jeep off and turn it back on the problem goes a way (for a few miles). I'm completely stomped on this... anyone have any ideas?

Bshearer25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
new2site
2002 WJ 

Check the wiring harness feeding the coil rail where it curves around the back of the head/valve cover...make sure no wires are frayed.
Also...maybe the coils are bad on 1 & 6 .....replace coil rail...

Was the donor 4.0 out of a 2004 GC? ....and if so did you "carry" it's coil rail over to your 02? ..if so..that's your problem...need to keep 02 coil rail for 02 PCM....04 will fit but not work properly.

This is off an 01 ..so it will work fine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-02-03-...04db0f&vxp=mtr
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.