Rough idle at cold start --- 01' Grand with I-6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough idle at cold start --- 01' Grand with I-6

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-27-2003, 02:57 PM   #1
VA_Jeepster

Rough idle at cold start --- 01' Grand with I-6

Hey everyone. Great site yall got here. Tons of info.

I have an 01 Grand with 40k on a 4.0. When I start it in the morning or after sitting a long time, it idles roughly for a few minutes until I start driving it. When it is started after running or any other time, it runs just fine. Any thoughts?

VA_Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 06:55 PM   #2
JEEPTECHNICIAN

Is the MIL light on?
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
VA_Jeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPTECHNICIAN
Is the MIL light on?
Not sure what the mil light is, but no lights in the dash cluster are illuminated (ie check engine)
Unread 08-27-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
JEEPTECHNICIAN

Does it take longer than normal time to start after it sits a while also? BTW the mil is the engine light. Stands for malfunction indicator lamp.
Unread 08-28-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
VA_Jeepster

I have not noticed that it takes longer to start. It has the patent 4.0 start up sound, just when it revs down after starting it idles roughly until it is driven.
Unread 08-30-2003, 03:30 PM   #6
VA_Jeepster

bumping my post
Unread 09-02-2003, 12:05 PM   #7
Joseph Humphrey

I drive a 98 ZJ with the I6 Engine. i have approx 120K miles on mine and its doing the exact same thing that yours is doing. i tore apart the throttle body about a month ago and it did clear up a little bit of the roughness in the idle, but its still there. i am going to take her in to the dealer and see what they recommend.

whatever happens, i will post back here and let you know. but you can look at the butterfly on your throttle body and see if it needs any cleaning. it might help.

joe
Joseph Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 05:07 PM   #8
JEEPTECHNICIAN

have you guys tried carbon cleaning the engine with mopar combustion chamber cleaner. if not go to the dealer and get you a can. it's about 8 bucks. and follow the directions on the back of the can.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.