Rough idle black smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough idle black smoke

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 05-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
agony691
2000 WJ 

Wj Rough idle black smoke

kk, i have a 4.7 wj 2000, w/206000 miles. Its idling rough... i mean rough.
I have tried a new tps, seafoam in the vacuum line in the gas and in the oil to no effect, replaced all the injectors. also it has overheated twice bad water pump (replaced). im thinking coil pack .... but they are expensive so trying to make sure before i buy.... HELLLLP!!!

agony691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Justindbrooks92
2000 WJ 

Try used coil packs.. Craigslist is awesome if you know the jeep ran fine before than the new coils should still work for yours if that's the problem
Justindbrooks92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agony691 View Post
kk, i have a 4.7 wj 2000, w/206000 miles. Its idling rough... i mean rough. also it has overheated twice bad water pump (replaced).
How's the head gaskets... 4.7s don't like overheating...although blown head gaskets don't often produce black smoke (usually white) that has my attention...
Unread 05-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
PirateB
2004 WJ 

Black smoke indicates rich condition. Head gasket usually white-sweet smell from the exhaust.

Why do you suspect coil packs? I'm sure you could test them with a multimeter. Have you looked at the plugs for signs of coolant or oil? Oil in the coolant, or vice versa?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum
PirateB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Thus the reason I said a blown head gasket produces white smoke... I was alluding to the not so great history the 4.7s have with overheating... If It were me I'd be keeping a close eye on that especially being it happened more than once.
Op do you have any codes present?
Unread 05-04-2014, 02:45 AM   #6
MadderThanMax

O2 Sensors!! & TPS....
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
agony691
2000 WJ 

Had a loss of tps signal code gotta new one, cleared the codes. that code has not returned as yet. no white smoke at all no coolant in oil.
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
MadderThanMax

Still Black Smoke??
Unread 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
agony691
2000 WJ 

yep still black smoke, and a idle so rough that the truck might shake apart.
Unread 05-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
MadderThanMax

Video Please??
Unread 05-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Cleaner13

If it were me, I would start with cheap stuff first and move on from there. Maybe check for fouled plugs first. I cant be 100% sure, but I would think if a coil was bad it would show a misfire via a trouble code. However if you had bad plugs I dont think that would show. You should know that using seafoam in the vacuum line has been known to foul plugs. I always change my plugs after running it through the vacuum line (intake manifold)

This is what I would do first (this is assuming your plugs arent brand new, if they are skip the new plug part). Go to nearest auto place and rent a compression checker (they are free by me, just leave a deposit in case you lose it). Get new plugs and take the old ones out one at a time. Before putting the new one in check the compression of that cylinder. Compare the #s and you also just eliminated 1 piece of the ignition. I would say if you had a misfire, you could see what cylinder it was from via the code and then swap the coil with a known good cylinder and see if the code changes. In my experience the coils on these engines are pretty reliable. However if you need some, I believe the 3.7 in the liberties and dakota and ram use the same coil.
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #12
bradywgn71

2002 WJ 

Change your fuel filter above the rear axle (~$30). It is also the fuel pressure regulator. Chances are the fuel pressure is sky high. After that, change your oil because it is probably thinned out with all the extra fuel being pumped into the cylinders. If you don't change the oil, you can destroy your engine bearings. Pull your oil dipstick and sniff it for gas fumes.
Unread 05-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #13
racecrazed85

The black smoke indicates that the fuel isn't burning efficiently. The engine is choking off and not getting enough air. Last time you changed the air filter? Is the air box clean free of debris? Any vacuum lines plugged or kinked? Any codes? Likely this is not a coil problem unless you can confirm a genuine misfire condition and even then what happens is that the unburned fuel gets pushed into the CAT and you would have a fuel odor and not black smoke. Could be O2 sensors but I would look for the simpler items first and if you can check for codes or pending codes.
racecrazed85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
agony691
2000 WJ 

I bought a code scanner will update shortly
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
agony691
2000 WJ 

ok got my scanner today, im getting a p0202 error on cylinder 2, so i changed that injector cleared the code.... ran it code came back. i cant see any corrosion on the cable but... cant be sure. Suggestions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.