Rough idle after reman engine install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough idle after reman engine install

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
ikey
2000 WJ 

Rough idle after reman engine install

Hi everyone,

I just had a reman engine put in my WJ (2000, with the 4.0) and I can't seem to get it to idle right.

On a cold start I can feel it rumble a bit more than normal and it gets progressively worse as it warms up. After a bit of driving the idle is considerably worse. It will idle at 900-1000RPM when cold and 600-750 warmed up. There is a slight popping/puffing that is heard every 15-20 seconds too from the exhaust.

This is what I have done so far:

I checked for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold and the attached hoses.

Pulled a spark plug to verify the gap and check the deposits. It was properly gaped and had a very light white deposit on it.

Cleaned the the throttle body.

Had a small exhaust leak after the 1st o2 sensor patched.

Took it to the dealer to have the fuel timing set. It was 20 degrees off, but that didn't change the idle once timed.

The exhaust seems to be flowing fine.

I did have the CEL come on a couple of days ago for the 2nd o2 sensor (P0138), but I cleared it and it hasn't come back after ~40 miles of driving.

I already have 300+ miles on this engine and I am not sure were else I should be looking... any ideas?
Thanks!

ikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.