Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rough Country Long Arm squeaks

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sharpysharp 
#1 ·
I've had my rough country long arm kit installed for a few months now. At first all was well, no squeaks. Overtime it developed a squeak in the rear, now it squeaks everywhere! I have greased every flex joint until it squeezes out but I still have the annoying squeaks. Are the rough country joints junk? Should I upgrade to Currie Johnny Joints?

#5 ·
One trouble I have had with some flex joints is when assemble and preloaded the plastic races touched in the middle and blocked the grease from getting to the ball. If that happened I removed some material from the center end of each race until there was about a 1/8" gap between the race ends in the center. The gap holds some grease an acts as a small grease reservoir so the joint stays greased longer.

I have used about every kind of grease, marine grease or boat trailer grease works good but the very best grease I have used is Super Lube silicone grease. I buy it in regular grease gun cartridges, it is expensive but it does last longer than any other grease I have used. I order it from Home-Depo online because they do not stock it at their stores. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lu...ing-Grease-with-Syncolon-PTFE-92150/202932699

#6 ·
I have been looking at just replacing the joints all together.... I know that the flex joints that came with the kit are a cheaper version of the Johnny joint, I've seen trail gear joints and also metal cloak joints... I really like what I've read and seen about the metal cloak durojoints, but in order for them to be most effective I'd need to chop off the oem style joint and weld on a second adjustable joint to make it adjustable on both ends..... I'm still debating on what o really want to do....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.