Rough Country 4 inch lift for wj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Country 4 inch lift for wj

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
ChickenOnAWire
2000 WJ 

Rough Country 4 inch lift for wj

what do you guys think of the rough country 4 inch lift kit for the wj? I really what to lift my jeep but ultimately I want to put the IRO 6.5 inch long arm lift on it but thats gonna take sometime to do (got some serious cash). so i just wanted to know what you guys think i should do.

Unread 10-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wait until you can afford the lift you want. That way you spend less money overall.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
SDT03GCOverland
2003 WJ 

The Rough Country 4 inch lift (as I received mine) was not what I would have liked it to be. I know you are aware of the rougher ride to expect but even knowing this, I was STILL surprised at JUST how stiff it was. Also, I had three problems with mine. The first one was that I was apparently sent the wrong rear shock upper washer-bushings. I had to cut down what they sent me. The second issue was with the trac-bar drop bracket (which, as delivered, REALLY sucked) The THIRD issue was a knock under emergency braking which turned out to be split bushings after a very short period of time. (I don't think I have 1000 miles on my lift yet) I have all of this written up on my car domain link with pics (link in my signature). If you DO go with the Rough Country I would HIGHLY suggest ordering a JKS adjustable trac-bar and not bother with the drop pitman arm or trac-bar bracket.

Note: I just clicked on my sig link and HALF of my CARDOMAIN is GONE! I need to get all the pics and write-ups back on there.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3369302

Last edited by SDT03GCOverland; 10-17-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: noticed my page is hacked up
SDT03GCOverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
baja1ab
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDT03GCOverland View Post
The Rough Country 4 inch lift (as I received mine) was not what I would have liked it to be. I know you are aware of the rougher ride to expect but even knowing this, I was STILL surprised at JUST how stiff it was. Also, I had three problems with mine. The first one was that I was apparently sent the wrong rear shock upper washer-bushings. I had to cut down what they sent me. The second issue was with the trac-bar drop bracket (which, as delivered, REALLY sucked) The THIRD issue was a knock under emergency braking which turned out to be split bushings after a very short period of time. (I don't think I have 1000 miles on my lift yet) I have all of this written up on my car domain link with pics (link in my signature). If you DO go with the Rough Country I would HIGHLY suggest ordering a JKS adjustable trac-bar and not bother with the drop pitman arm or trac-bar bracket.

Note: I just clicked on my sig link and HALF of my CARDOMAIN is GONE! I need to get all the pics and write-ups back on there.
Good to know. It's nice to hear people with real life experience post their issues, good or bad. I was considering the same lift as a temporary fix until I can afford a LA kit. I posted questions on another site and all I got was a bunch of fan fare for other kits - no actual owners. Thanks SDT03GCOverland
baja1ab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
JPTX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have about 1000 miles on mine and have no complaints. Didnt use the drop bracket, just used the JKS adj trackbar. No issues on the install and the ride is quite nice. I would reccomend the kit to anyone that is not going to beat on it. Mine gets no offroad use, if it was going to see the dirt I would replace the A arm spacer with one that has a bit more beef.

Poison Spyder F/R Stingers, Fenders, Rockers, Corners.
JPTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
WJay09
2002 WJ 

Anyone know if extended brake lines are needed with the Rough Country 4" kit?
WJay09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

they are not needed.

I have had the kit for a few months now and have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. Easy install, and i hate when people complain about ride quality. If you want ride quality, dont lift your jeep. buy a bmw....
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDT03GCOverland View Post

first if you bothered to search anyone one on here with a lift of 4 or more on their WJ will tell you not to use a bracket you need and adj tbar

second i'm guessing the reason your bushing split was improper installation. did you torque it when your jeep was on the ground?
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
WJay09
2002 WJ 

Yeah, im not terribly concerned about the ride quality. Im glad for all the info about the track bar issues so i can keep a close eye on that until i can correct the situation however i decide to do so. Either way it seems like that is the main issue with this kit. Im hoping to recieve mine this week and install it this weekend. Thanks for all the info everyone.
WJay09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.