Rough Country 4 inch kit rides bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Country 4 inch kit rides bad

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Rough Country 4 inch kit rides bad

I am a mechanic at a jeep dealership. I had to do an alignment on an 01 grand Cherokee with a rough country 4 inch lift. The customer brought it in to have the steering box replaced and the mechanic who did it asked me to do the alignment since I have a 2000 lifted grand Cherokee. I have a 3 inch IRO lift. Even with a bad rear ball joint and upper control arm bushings my grand Cherokee still rides better than the 01 I had to work on. I got the alignment in as good as I could but the owner brought it back because the steering wheel was off and it pulled to the right. This thing did have a dropped pitman arm and dual steering stabilizers. The camber on the left side was out slightly. Is a dropped pitman arm necessary for this lift? It was a real bear to get the alignment right especially the steering wheel. All the tie rods and ball joints were good. Mine was easy to align compared to this one.

metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Panocha
1999 WJ 

I have a 4in rough country lift on my 99 and I dont know another lifted jeep that can drive in a straight line with no hands on the wheel. I know they dont come with a track bar in the 4in kit, instead a spacer with a tiny bolt holding everything together. It steered like garbage until I replaced the track bar with the right track bar and steering stabilizer. I had constant death wobble and the little bolt snapped on me while driving! did the this jeep have a track bar or stock with a spacer? that fixed my issues, maybe it can help narrow the problem
Panocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
I am a mechanic at a jeep dealership. I had to do an alignment on an 01 grand Cherokee with a rough country 4 inch lift. The customer brought it in to have the steering box replaced and the mechanic who did it asked me to do the alignment since I have a 2000 lifted grand Cherokee. I have a 3 inch IRO lift. Even with a bad rear ball joint and upper control arm bushings my grand Cherokee still rides better than the 01 I had to work on. I got the alignment in as good as I could but the owner brought it back because the steering wheel was off and it pulled to the right. This thing did have a dropped pitman arm and dual steering stabilizers. The camber on the left side was out slightly. Is a dropped pitman arm necessary for this lift? It was a real bear to get the alignment right especially the steering wheel. All the tie rods and ball joints were good. Mine was easy to align compared to this one.
Drop Pittman arm is not necessary. Chances are if it has a drop Pittman, it has a drop trackbar bracket. Ditch them both. But, doing so will require an adjustable trackback. As for ride quality, chances are he has cheap shocks. Upgrading to bilsteins is going to be the only way to make a significant improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panocha View Post
I have a 4in rough country lift on my 99 and I dont know another lifted jeep that can drive in a straight line with no hands on the wheel. I know they dont come with a track bar in the 4in kit, instead a spacer with a tiny bolt holding everything together. It steered like garbage until I replaced the track bar with the right track bar and steering stabilizer. I had constant death wobble and the little bolt snapped on me while driving! did the this jeep have a track bar or stock with a spacer? that fixed my issues, maybe it can help narrow the problem
Mine drove perfectly straight on 4.5" short arms. No hands on the wheel and only one stabilizer.
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
mikeyc1821
2004 WJ 

my RC 4 inch rides near stock and steers perfect now with all new ball joints and TRE... im using the RC shocks.. I did the alingment in the drive way and then took it to a shop and they said it was perfect.... steers straight and does not pull at all.... Yes it is a bit stiffer then stock but not much...
mikeyc1821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

My RC lift rode decent in the beginning too. Then the bushings wore out and the shocks started to age and I started to replace everything. Never rode terrible and for the money I was happy for the two years I had it. Could it of been better? Absolutely, but a it's a cheap kit. The biggest difference between high dollar kits and cheaper ones are the bushings and joints and that's why I replaced it all. And the terrible RC trackbar, that made a huge difference.
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

my RC 4 inch long arm (bought not built) on my Black 04 Overland rides near stock and steers perfect I am using the RC shocks and one is leaking. Steers straight and does not pull at all. Yes it is a bit stiffer then stock but not much. Overall I am satisfied and glad a good mechanic installed it.
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Kolak
Vendor

A set of Bilsteins will dramatically improve the ride quality and handling of the RC lift. I still have them on special so send me a PM if you'd like to get a set.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.