Rotted rockers to box steel sliders Q's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rotted rockers to box steel sliders Q's

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wj Rotted rockers to box steel sliders Q's

PO had ghetto repaired some rocker rust but after this winter the issue will have to be dealt with for good. Was going to buy or get sliders made but discovered people cutting them out and doing boatsides. Going to get some made with 3/16 steel in 2x6 for door protection. Been reading up on these, mostly zj/xj, all night but have a couple questions. Keeping in mind I'll be cutting maybe 1/2-1" from bottom of door and eliminating the pinch seems as it's rusted.

Should I push the box flat onto the inner part of the rocker (under floor) and weld or make the box overlap it and have the box basically under everything? Common sense tells me it's easier to weld the first way since it's right in your face then trying to weld in such a tight area between the body and steel box.

Second is bracing to the unibody rails, just looking for suggestions on how many legs and designs.

Pics are worth 1000 words

Unread 05-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
berndog67
2003 WJ 

i would go the first way if i had to do that, and u can run some kickers to the center frame rails if u want, but i doubt it will make it any stronger, just stiffen the whole center section more, just be careful when welding on the body, i usually unplug the battery, computers, pull back any carpet and sound deadening and make sure u have absolutely no evap leaks, because if u do u will find out very quickly (friend lost his garage that way two yrs ago)
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'd add the braces mostly for peace of mind and make the sides a much better jacking point. Waiting on a quote from the Fab shop. Might just buy a welder and do this myself
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
berndog67
2003 WJ 

thats exactly what i would do, if your a diy guy then get the tools and teach yourself, cant even begin to guess how much i have saved from not having to pay someone to do automotive work for me, altough welding can be one heck of a thing to self learn, but it can be done, heck i just got done making my overland rock rails into a better version of the $400 level 3 rock sliders, and for only $50 in materials
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

Plus this is only the start of the fabbing that will be done, been wanting a welder for quite a while but know basically nothing about them. I would prefer 110v since I don't think I have a 240 here, but can a 110 go up to 1/4"? Or even 3/16...
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
VA-WJ
2000 WJ 

Sub'ed.
VA-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWJ View Post
Plus this is only the start of the fabbing that will be done, been wanting a welder for quite a while but know basically nothing about them. I would prefer 110v since I don't think I have a 240 here, but can a 110 go up to 1/4"? Or even 3/16...
If you're serious about it, might be worth having the line run out to your garage so you can run the bigger one.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

It not being my garage is the problem lol
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWJ View Post
It not being my garage is the problem lol
Hah. Fair enough. You could get a generator specifically for that then and run the welder off the that. Then again if you wanted to really drop a pretty penny, you could get yourself one of them big tow behind generator welder trailers. Hah

Sent from my blimp fortress using my carrier pigeons.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
Hah. Fair enough. You could get a generator specifically for that then and run the welder off the that. Then again if you wanted to really drop a pretty penny, you could get yourself one of them big tow behind generator welder trailers. Hah

Sent from my blimp fortress using my carrier pigeons.
Haha that would be a bit overkill, see what I can do about running a 240. Wouldn't see why not if I pay for it..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.