Rola Roof Rack Tire Mounting.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rola Roof Rack Tire Mounting..

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
maxwellmgray

Wj Rola Roof Rack Tire Mounting..

Want to mount a tire on a Rola Roof rack..but as far as I can tell you have to make your own. Anyone want to make me one for some money? or have a suggestion?

maxwellmgray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

I personally hate my spare on my roof. I'll ne making my rear tire carrier soon. You can tell with the added weight up top. I would try something else.. And I'm freaking tall. I can't get in parking garages.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
volvite
1999 WJ 

I had mine on the roof for about 2 months prior to me purchasing a hitch mounted tire carrier. The roof really kills your MPG, not that JEEPS are good anyway, but like spitnail said you can feel the weight of the vehicle shift for the worse as your center of gravity is higher.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

When i get mine lifted i will prob. just throw spare in the back till i can get rear tire carrier,dont get me wrong i do love the looks of tire up top but mine is DD and it would kill mpg's and prob. a lot of wind noise but biggest reason is i want to still park in my garage,I want to get a roof rack too but i'm gonna wait to see how much clearence i will have before buying one.
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
I had mine on the roof for about 2 months prior to me purchasing a hitch mounted tire carrier. The roof really kills your MPG, not that JEEPS are good anyway, but like spitnail said you can feel the weight of the vehicle shift for the worse as your center of gravity is higher.
What hitch mount did you get?

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I have 35's, and my wife uses the WJ as her daily driver. There is no way she could ever get a 35 off of the roof, so it goes in the back of the Jeep.

Bad mileage, inconvenient to load/unload from the rack, and it will make you top heavy when wheeling.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
volvite
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitnail View Post
What hitch mount did you get?
I bought the hitchgate brand hitch mounted tire carrier. Here are my pics on photobucket of when I bought it. They are crazy expensive but I found a used one in CA when I lived in TX and shipped to Del Rio was 200. It was a steel.
http://s645.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/Jeep%20pics/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
I have 35's, and my wife uses the WJ as her daily driver. There is no way she could ever get a 35 off of the roof, so it goes in the back of the Jeep.

Bad mileage, inconvenient to load/unload from the rack, and it will make you top heavy when wheeling.

Agreed. My wife uses the JEEP during the winter as it's are reliable vehicle and for her to try and lift a tire off the roof wouldn't happen. I wouldn't want her stranded on the side of the road especially with it being cold and having to take care of my 15 month old son.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.