Rocker Rust Repair Quesitons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rocker Rust Repair Quesitons

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Rocker Rust Repair Quesitons

Hey everyone,

was looking at the WJ today and noticed some rust coming on. Now I know its not as bad as some on here but it still bothers me. As far as fixing it, I'm pretty set on cutting the old out and welding in my own sliders.

That leads me to my questions, can i see some pics of what everyone has done to theirs and if anyone has a good "how-to" or write up could you post a link?

first pic is front passenger side

second pic is of rear passenger side

20130911_180544.jpg   20130911_181131.jpg  
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
tim0

2002 WJ 

Check out this repair, This is the best rocker repair I have seen.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-weld-1460733/
tim0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
lemiller
2001 WJ 

timO thank you for the link.

I have been doing tons of research on here and think im going to do something similar to infernored's sliders (pics below). However i would like to know what to expect after cutting out my rockers. whats behind them? things to look out for etc.. Pics would be a great help. Anyone with input I am all ears.
inferno-red.jpg   infernored-2.jpg  
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

I have seen infernored's slider/rocker set up in person, and it is a solid looking and feeling piece. I plan on doing the same thing as he has done. He warned me to beware of the foam that is behind the rockers, it can flame up when cutting the old metal out. That's the best I can give you for what I know is behind them.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
I have seen infernored's slider/rocker set up in person, and it is a solid looking and feeling piece. I plan on doing the same thing as he has done. He warned me to beware of the foam that is behind the rockers, it can flame up when cutting the old metal out. That's the best I can give you for what I know is behind them.
Thank you i'll keep that in mind.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
lemiller
2001 WJ 

One question I am having a hard time finding info on is, after I Cut the inner and outer rocker panel off (yes I need to completly remove it to get all the rust) should I tack in some sheet metal to cover the opening then put my slider in place. Or just chop it out and weld in my slider. I can't seem to find any pics of teh process, mostly just before and after pics.

Im lookng to tackle this in the next couple weeks (before it gets cold) so i need all the info I can get. I dont like starting jobs not have any clue what to expect, have never done something like this before.
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
lemiller
2001 WJ 

So I never got a chance to fix my rocker panels.....I plan on starting this project with in the next month (IL winter destoryed my rockers). So rather then start a new thread I figured I would revive my old one. So I'm back to doign research and I am looking for as many pics/ideas/tips/tricks that I can get. Anyone have a "how-to" or "in-progress" pics that they can post or link me to? thanks in advance
Unread 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Bump: Anyone with more insight?
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
icanhithimman
2002 WJ 

Where do you live?

I chopped mine out, inner and outer. Replaced them with 3x4 structural box steel 3/16 thick. I did not add any sheet steel to cover the hole. I sprayed chassis saver up inside and let it dry before I continued. Then I welded them to the existing body and boxed in the existing rocker panel supports with 1/8 plate. Then used 1x1 angel to close up the gaps and spot welded them to the body. Take the time to pull out your carpet and seats, don't grind or weld need glass it will ruin it. I took out the carpet and found more rust i had to fix. I ended up using chassis saver on the interior floor after i made repairs.
icanhithimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanhithimman View Post
Where do you live?

I chopped mine out, inner and outer. Replaced them with 3x4 structural box steel 3/16 thick. I did not add any sheet steel to cover the hole. I sprayed chassis saver up inside and let it dry before I continued. Then I welded them to the existing body and boxed in the existing rocker panel supports with 1/8 plate. Then used 1x1 angel to close up the gaps and spot welded them to the body. Take the time to pull out your carpet and seats, don't grind or weld need glass it will ruin it. I took out the carpet and found more rust i had to fix. I ended up using chassis saver on the interior floor after i made repairs.
I live in Naperville, IL (just outside of chicago) Thanks for the tip about removing the seats and the carpet, didnt think about that. Do you have any pics of yours.
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
icanhithimman
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiller

i live in naperville, il (just outside of chicago) thanks for the tip about removing the seats and the carpet, didnt think about that. Do you have any pics of yours.

image-2779409783.jpg
image-3066703172.jpg

image-1920751727.jpg

image-411651335.jpg

icanhithimman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.