Rocker panel rot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rocker panel rot

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
WJ_allday04

2004 WJ 

Rocker panel rot

I have been searching all over jf and and seen what everyone has been doing with the rotting rocker panels but i found these on ebay and i was wondering if anyone knows if these are an exact weld in replacements? i have a 04 wj and typically when i have seen these replacements, they go to 03 but not 04 so does anybody have any insite on why/how these work and if they are worth the money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-04-Jeep...167#vi-content

Im getting my tax return soon and if these dont work out, im gunnabuy these
http://4xguard.com/side-guards-grand...black-100.html

24" light bar//x2 3" duallys//JK steelies//31's

My Build Thread
WJ_allday04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
berndog67
2003 WJ 

well i would def fix any rot before covering it up with any protection, cancer spreads much faster than u think, especially when u cant see it, and it becomes much more expensive later too, and depending on how bad it is u can just cut out the rockers and put in some 2x4 steel stock, some guys on here have done that and provides alot of protection, sleek look and no ground clearance loss, plus 2x4 stock is much cheaper than those guards, which lets u put it into the jeep elsewhere
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I do not know why they would not fit an '04, I don't think they changed the body from '03 to '04.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

check the pinch seam they would be welded to. if it's rotten too, there's no point in just ordering the fronts as you will not be able to attach it to anything.

here's an example of using 2x6 square tube as rockers/sliders as berndog67 suggested doing. they're great and provide you with sturdy place t jack your vehicle up. if you like that idea, you're just a couple steel plates away from turning this style of rockers into boat sides by joining it to the unibody rails
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
WJ_allday04

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
check the pinch seam they would be welded to. if it's rotten too, there's no point in just ordering the fronts as you will not be able to attach it to anything.

here's an example of using 2x6 square tube as rockers/sliders as berndog67 suggested doing. they're great and provide you with sturdy place t jack your vehicle up. if you like that idea, you're just a couple steel plates away from turning this style of rockers into boat sides by joining it to the unibody rails
thanks the pinch seem is perfectly fine with no rust or damage. I think I'm going to do that. where can I buy that steel because I couldn't find that at home depot

My Build Thread
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
berndog67
2003 WJ 

im not to familar with stores out that way, but just do a google search for metal stores and metal stock suppliers near u, i found 3 places within 20 miles of me when i needed bigger stock, they will also have better prices than your local home improvement stores, and if u go there enough and make friends they might let u go through the scrap bins! gotta love free or dollar pieces!
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Philagony04WJ
2004 WJ 

Rocker repair

Please do not buy those rockers. I ordered them 6 months ago to repair a spot on my WJ and the panel lines were not even close to matching. I returned the panel and ordered up the more expensive rocker panel listed on eBay. If you are patching in a section its worth it to spend the extra $ to get a perfect fit.
A few before and after shots. I used black Monstaliner to paint the rockers on both sides and it REALLY looks good in person.

Philagony04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philagony04WJ View Post
Please do not buy those rockers. I ordered them 6 months ago to repair a spot on my WJ and the panel lines were not even close to matching. I returned the panel and ordered up the more expensive rocker panel listed on eBay. If you are patching in a section its worth it to spend the extra $ to get a perfect fit.
A few before and after shots. I used black Monstaliner to paint the rockers on both sides and it REALLY looks good in person.

so were those cheap panels meant to be cut and welded in, or just welded on top of existing rocker?
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
WJ_allday04

2004 WJ 

I think im going to do the 2x6 tubing...i like the look of it and its cheaper than the 4x sliders

My Build Thread
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

follow my picture to photobucket and look at a ton of other pictures of the job. please feel free to enhance the design and show us what you do! i for one wish the front edge was angled so slush/mud does not collect on the right angle as much. the reason we offset it to the outside was to provide the doors with some edge protection. the reason why we didn't bring it forward to the front wheel well more was because i'm looking to open it up some and add flares...well that and that 1/4 panel gets complicated quick while not really being necessary unless you crawl off a rock. odly enough, i actually did just that before i had the rockers on the passenger side, you'll see it in the passenger side pictures. serves me right for forgetting to back up after taking poser pictures on a rock pile :P
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

So which e-bay vendor did you use, and how good was there rocker patch panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philagony04WJ View Post

Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Philagony04WJ
2004 WJ 

I don't remember the exact vendors name but the drivers side rocker cost somewhere around $150 shipped. It seems to be a factory style replacement part. The curvature of the rocker matches the lines/curves of the one on the Jeep perfectly. If you see an pics of black primered rockers on eBay that's most likely them.
The rocker panel I ended up with could have been replaced as a whole. I chose to repair/section a piece in. So much less work because I didn't have to cut out the whole side from front to back. It wasn't that hard to do. Just take time with welding in the new piece cause the sheet metal is thin and blowing through/warping is a possibility.
Philagony04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

check out my build thread. I did this about 4 years ago. its all documented from my zj build.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.