post #1 of Old 12-28-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
WJ_MOOSE
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kings Park
Posts: 107
Reverse light help

I've had this problem for a while now where my reverse lights won't come on when I throw it in to reverse. Is there a switch somewhere that went bad? Something on the shifter not picking up that it's in reverse? I can reverse no problem. Put in two new bulbs for each side didn't affect it.

WJ_MOOSE is offline  
post #2 of Old 12-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Vaporhead
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Moore
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_MOOSE View Post
I've had this problem for a while now where my reverse lights won't come on when I throw it in to reverse. Is there a switch somewhere that went bad? Something on the shifter not picking up that it's in reverse? I can reverse no problem. Put in two new bulbs for each side didn't affect it.
There is a PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH that controls the power to those lamps. This switch is located on the left side of the transmission housing. The two outer terminals of the switch connector control the power to the lights. You could probably test for continuity on these locations to verify the switch is bad or not.
Vaporhead is offline  
post #3 of Old 12-28-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
WJ_MOOSE
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kings Park
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporhead
There is a PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH that controls the power to those lamps. This switch is located on the left side of the transmission housing. The two outer terminals of the switch connector control the power to the lights. You could probably test for continuity on these locations to verify the switch is bad or not.
Thanks, I was told by someone that I'd have to open the whole transmission to fix it, didn't think that was right
WJ_MOOSE is offline  
post #4 of Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Vaporhead
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Moore
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_MOOSE View Post
Thanks, I was told by someone that I'd have to open the whole transmission to fix it, didn't think that was right
Yeah, that would be crazy. The switch is fairly simple to swap out if it's the cause. What engine do you have? I should have been more clear in my posting. Those posts were for the 42RE transmission common with the 4.0 motor. If you have the 545 transmission, then yeah, looks like yours is inside the valve body housing in the transmission. More work involved there.
Vaporhead is offline  
post #5 of Old 12-28-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
WJ_MOOSE
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kings Park
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporhead
Yeah, that would be crazy. The switch is fairly simple to swap out if it's the cause. What engine do you have? I should have been more clear in my posting. Those posts were for the 42RE transmission common with the 4.0 motor. If you have the 545 transmission, then yeah, looks like yours is inside the valve body housing in the transmission. More work involved there.
Yea I have the 4.7 H.O.
WJ_MOOSE is offline  
post #6 of Old 12-28-2015, 04:44 PM
weaselsmopar
Member
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canton
Posts: 268
If I am correct it is the TRS cam plate that the shift solenoid sits on. I just replaced mine with the updated solenoid and cam plate.
weaselsmopar is online now  
post #7 of Old 12-28-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
WJ_MOOSE
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kings Park
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselsmopar
If I am correct it is the TRS cam plate that the shift solenoid sits on. I just replaced mine with the updated solenoid and cam plate.
How was that, replacing it?
WJ_MOOSE is offline  
post #8 of Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 AM
weaselsmopar
Member
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canton
Posts: 268
It really was not that bad. very messy and it took me a bit to do because i wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up also since i had the valve body out I did the transgo shift upgrade.
weaselsmopar is online now  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome