post #1 of Old 12-28-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
WJ_MOOSE
2004 WJ 

Reverse light help

I've had this problem for a while now where my reverse lights won't come on when I throw it in to reverse. Is there a switch somewhere that went bad? Something on the shifter not picking up that it's in reverse? I can reverse no problem. Put in two new bulbs for each side didn't affect it.

post #2 of Old 12-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Vaporhead
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_MOOSE View Post
I've had this problem for a while now where my reverse lights won't come on when I throw it in to reverse. Is there a switch somewhere that went bad? Something on the shifter not picking up that it's in reverse? I can reverse no problem. Put in two new bulbs for each side didn't affect it.
There is a PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH that controls the power to those lamps. This switch is located on the left side of the transmission housing. The two outer terminals of the switch connector control the power to the lights. You could probably test for continuity on these locations to verify the switch is bad or not.
post #3 of Old 12-28-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
WJ_MOOSE
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporhead
There is a PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH that controls the power to those lamps. This switch is located on the left side of the transmission housing. The two outer terminals of the switch connector control the power to the lights. You could probably test for continuity on these locations to verify the switch is bad or not.
Thanks, I was told by someone that I'd have to open the whole transmission to fix it, didn't think that was right
post #4 of Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Vaporhead
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_MOOSE View Post
Thanks, I was told by someone that I'd have to open the whole transmission to fix it, didn't think that was right
Yeah, that would be crazy. The switch is fairly simple to swap out if it's the cause. What engine do you have? I should have been more clear in my posting. Those posts were for the 42RE transmission common with the 4.0 motor. If you have the 545 transmission, then yeah, looks like yours is inside the valve body housing in the transmission. More work involved there.
post #5 of Old 12-28-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
WJ_MOOSE
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporhead
Yeah, that would be crazy. The switch is fairly simple to swap out if it's the cause. What engine do you have? I should have been more clear in my posting. Those posts were for the 42RE transmission common with the 4.0 motor. If you have the 545 transmission, then yeah, looks like yours is inside the valve body housing in the transmission. More work involved there.
Yea I have the 4.7 H.O.
post #6 of Old 12-28-2015, 04:44 PM
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

If I am correct it is the TRS cam plate that the shift solenoid sits on. I just replaced mine with the updated solenoid and cam plate.
post #7 of Old 12-28-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
WJ_MOOSE
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselsmopar
If I am correct it is the TRS cam plate that the shift solenoid sits on. I just replaced mine with the updated solenoid and cam plate.
How was that, replacing it?
post #8 of Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 AM
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

It really was not that bad. very messy and it took me a bit to do because i wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up also since i had the valve body out I did the transgo shift upgrade.