Reverse light help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Reverse light help

*STOP UNWANTED LIGHT BAR NOISE* with Pandemic LED Light BaRuffstuff 10 year saleRegear now with Gear Packages from JeepHut.com

Unread 12-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
WJ_MOOSE
2004 WJ 

Reverse light help

I've had this problem for a while now where my reverse lights won't come on when I throw it in to reverse. Is there a switch somewhere that went bad? Something on the shifter not picking up that it's in reverse? I can reverse no problem. Put in two new bulbs for each side didn't affect it.

WJ_MOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Vaporhead
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_MOOSE View Post
I've had this problem for a while now where my reverse lights won't come on when I throw it in to reverse. Is there a switch somewhere that went bad? Something on the shifter not picking up that it's in reverse? I can reverse no problem. Put in two new bulbs for each side didn't affect it.
There is a PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH that controls the power to those lamps. This switch is located on the left side of the transmission housing. The two outer terminals of the switch connector control the power to the lights. You could probably test for continuity on these locations to verify the switch is bad or not.
Vaporhead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
WJ_MOOSE
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporhead
There is a PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH that controls the power to those lamps. This switch is located on the left side of the transmission housing. The two outer terminals of the switch connector control the power to the lights. You could probably test for continuity on these locations to verify the switch is bad or not.
Thanks, I was told by someone that I'd have to open the whole transmission to fix it, didn't think that was right
Unread 12-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Vaporhead
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_MOOSE View Post
Thanks, I was told by someone that I'd have to open the whole transmission to fix it, didn't think that was right
Yeah, that would be crazy. The switch is fairly simple to swap out if it's the cause. What engine do you have? I should have been more clear in my posting. Those posts were for the 42RE transmission common with the 4.0 motor. If you have the 545 transmission, then yeah, looks like yours is inside the valve body housing in the transmission. More work involved there.
Vaporhead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
WJ_MOOSE
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporhead
Yeah, that would be crazy. The switch is fairly simple to swap out if it's the cause. What engine do you have? I should have been more clear in my posting. Those posts were for the 42RE transmission common with the 4.0 motor. If you have the 545 transmission, then yeah, looks like yours is inside the valve body housing in the transmission. More work involved there.
Yea I have the 4.7 H.O.
Unread 12-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

If I am correct it is the TRS cam plate that the shift solenoid sits on. I just replaced mine with the updated solenoid and cam plate.
weaselsmopar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
WJ_MOOSE
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselsmopar
If I am correct it is the TRS cam plate that the shift solenoid sits on. I just replaced mine with the updated solenoid and cam plate.
How was that, replacing it?
Unread 12-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

It really was not that bad. very messy and it took me a bit to do because i wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up also since i had the valve body out I did the transgo shift upgrade.
weaselsmopar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.