Resetting Jeep Completely? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Resetting Jeep Completely?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Colton800
2001 WJ 

Wj Resetting Jeep Completely?

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.0L I6. I want to reset the Jeep COMPLETELY. I've tried unhooking the battery for 20 mins, reset my MPG and clock, nothing on the overhead computer or any presets. Tried unhooking the battery over night for around 10 hours did the same thing. I tried unhooking the battery waiting 20 mins getting jumper cables and hook them up to the terminals (unhooked from battery, jumper cables because terminals are to far away to touch) for 30 seconds to drain the capacitor, did the same thing as before with the other 2. I just tried unhooking the possitive for 20 mins, then using jumper cables to the unhooked terminal to a ground for 30 seconds then leaving the possitive unhooked, unhooked the negative and using jumper cables, I connected the cables to each unhooked terminal and waited 30 seconds, then hooked them back up. Turned the Jeep to the ON, waited for the beeps, turned the headlights from the off position to the ON possition, then turned the headlights to the off possition, then turning the Jeep from the ON to taking the key out. Then I started the engine. Reset my mirrors, my MPG (on Overhead), and clock. Radio left alone and all the presets for the Overhead computer and seats and whatnot. I got these ways from various forum posts and nothing has worked yet. Does any of you know how to completely reset the Jeep's Computer? Thanks for your replies!

Colton800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton800 View Post
I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.0L I6. I want to reset the Jeep COMPLETELY. I've tried unhooking the battery for 20 mins, reset my MPG and clock, nothing on the overhead computer or any presets. Tried unhooking the battery over night for around 10 hours did the same thing. I tried unhooking the battery waiting 20 mins getting jumper cables and hook them up to the terminals (unhooked from battery, jumper cables because terminals are to far away to touch) for 30 seconds to drain the capacitor, did the same thing as before with the other 2. I just tried unhooking the possitive for 20 mins, then using jumper cables to the unhooked terminal to a ground for 30 seconds then leaving the possitive unhooked, unhooked the negative and using jumper cables, I connected the cables to each unhooked terminal and waited 30 seconds, then hooked them back up. Turned the Jeep to the ON, waited for the beeps, turned the headlights from the off position to the ON possition, then turned the headlights to the off possition, then turning the Jeep from the ON to taking the key out. Then I started the engine. Reset my mirrors, my MPG (on Overhead), and clock. Radio left alone and all the presets for the Overhead computer and seats and whatnot. I got these ways from various forum posts and nothing has worked yet. Does any of you know how to completely reset the Jeep's Computer? I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.0L I6. I want to reset the Jeep COMPLETELY. I've tried unhooking the battery for 20 mins, reset my MPG and clock, nothing on the overhead computer or any presets. Tried unhooking the battery over night for around 10 hours did the same thing. I tried unhooking the battery waiting 20 mins getting jumper cables and hook them up to the terminals (unhooked from battery, jumper cables because terminals are to far away to touch) for 30 seconds to drain the capacitor, did the same thing as before with the other 2. I just tried unhooking the possitive for 20 mins, then using jumper cables to the unhooked terminal to a ground for 30 seconds then leaving the possitive unhooked, unhooked the negative and using jumper cables, I connected the cables to each unhooked terminal and waited 30 seconds, then hooked them back up. Turned the Jeep to the ON, waited for the beeps, turned the headlights from the off position to the ON possition, then turned the headlights to the off possition, then turning the Jeep from the ON to taking the key out. Then I started the engine. Reset my mirrors, my MPG (on Overhead), and clock. Radio left alone and all the presets for the Overhead computer and seats and whatnot. I got these ways from various forum posts and nothing has worked yet. Does any of you know how to completely reset the Jeep's Computer? Thanks for your replies!
Mountain of words... All I saw was, "Thanks for your replies!"

You're welcome.
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Yeah for real, paragraphs are sweet.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? I've heard that on any vehicle disconnect the negative terminal and then pumping the brake pedal several times drains the stored charge. I think likely your best bet is do all that, and then unplug the ECU. You should be able to do all this in under an hour, no need to wait over night. If you truly accomplish your task your vehicle has no concept of time...
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Op. Im on my phone so can't see what year your Jeep is or where you are but UK spec 2004 WJs cannot be reset (except evIc and radio code) just by disconnecting battery and discharging capacitors.....no matter how long you do it for. You need the drb3 to reset it as all the running parameters are stored in a "hard" memory that is permanent. This is at least true of the CRD so might well also be true of the gas models.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.