Request for Diagram for 2002 Grand Cherokee EVAP System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Request for Diagram for 2002 Grand Cherokee EVAP System

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
wsmm
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Question Request for Diagram for 2002 Grand Cherokee EVAP System

Looking for a good diagram, with explanation , if possible, of the EVAP system on a 2002 Grand Cherokee and my codes went away, P0442 and P0455. Getting a P0455 error once again, have replaced some of the hoses so far. Last smoke test, I received some smoke out of the Vent that was part of an earlier recall. I believe that it was called the orvr valve, I know it is a vent to the atmosphere, but I don't know if it is open to the system all the tme or opened and closed by some part of the system. Ages ago when I got started in Jeeping, I had a dealer and club that I could go to and get most if not all of my information. Not so now a dyas. Also the older manauls seemed to explain all of the systems much better.
Thanks,
Bill

wsmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
JGCIndy
2003 WJ 

Here is what I found.

Mine is giving the same two codes. I found 3 different split hoses, which I replaced, but the code keeps coming back.
It still ran fine until I overfilled the gas tank and it wouldn't start, so I waited a bit, and pumped the peddle repeatedly and it finally started.
Since then, it will intermittently die...either while idling or even while driving down the highway.
A couple of times so far I couldn't get it to start after several tries. I let it set for a few hours and then it'll start right up.
I'm almost thinking my PCM is going out.

The first diagram has the parts identified here... http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ssembly=630873
00i72084.jpg  
part.jpg

JGCIndy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

subscribed, this is a great picture, i need to fix mine, been too lazy to try and diagnose tho lol
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
JGCIndy
2003 WJ 

I solved my problem by doing two things...
1 was by cutting the split end off of one of the hoses connected to the charcoal canister and reconnecting it and the other was to replace the crankshaft position sensor.
Now, the check engine light has stayed off for over 100 miles and it hasn't died on me a single time.
The sensor only cost me $34 at O'Reilly Auto Parts.
JGCIndy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
Prickett10
Daddy dubJ

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCIndy View Post
Here is what I found.

Since then, it will intermittently die...either while idling or even while driving down the highway.
A couple of times so far I couldn't get it to start after several tries. I let it set for a few hours and then it'll start right up.
I'm almost thinking my PCM is going out.
this sounds exactly the same as my problem, I have yet to figure out why the codes happening but I was able to keep it from dying by disconnecting the hose that runs from the purge solenoid to the throttle body. And no its not the solenoid, that's been replaced repeatedly trying to solve this problem.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #271 2000 4.7L WJ
1980 Ford F100 4.9L I6 <------- My baby

Man makes the weather then stands in the rain and says S*** its rainin
Prickett10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.