Replacing a Throttle position sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing a Throttle position sensor?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 08-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Grazsrootz

Replacing a Throttle position sensor?

ok i have an 01 wj limited and since i bought it used i have a slight annoying but not fatal problem with the idle of the engine. the idle tends to be high (1100 rpm) and goes up and down sometimes. it will go as low as 500 rpm sometimes. and other times it will idle normal. some have told me its a vaccum line which i checked and replaced some of the cracking grommits. i dont think there was ever any leaks in the vaccum lines. which leads me to believe that the problem is being caused by the throttle position sensor. are these hard to replace. and how much am i looking to spend on the sensor it self at cheapest. Thanks alot fellas

Grazsrootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
lma1973

I just did one for the first time the other week and it was a piece of cake. Takes about 10 minutes.
Unread 08-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

what engine do you have? You may way too look into cleaning or replacing Your IAC first its

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Grazsrootz

4.7. i just had the throttle body cleaned, new sparks put in, new iginition coil because a local shop insisted it just needed a new tune up
Unread 08-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
alexo1us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazsrootz
4.7. i just had the throttle body cleaned, new sparks put in, new iginition coil because a local shop insisted it just needed a new tune up
4.7 which coil did they replace? and why I suspect the cleaning did more then anything else.
01 Grand limited 4.7V8/QD
SFN Silver on Grey
alexo1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
Grazsrootz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo1us
4.7 which coil did they replace? and why I suspect the cleaning did more then anything else.
well i bought it at a toyota dealership and it came with a warranty so for free they replaced all of the spark plugs, throttle plate, all of the the ignition coils and cleaned the throttle body, the best they could do. i am getting no codes and it runs great except for the annoying idle. i am almost 100% positive it is the throttle position sensor because i lubed the cable and everything else has been done also i checked for a leak in the vaccum lines and i cannot find any, i even replaced all of the grommets. i just need to know how much a TPS usually costs and how to replace it, i hear it isnt hard but i am not an expert at auto repair, ive replaced o2 sensors before but is this alot harder? i mean i am mecanically compident but i need help! THANKS ALOT! ANYONE!
Unread 08-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #7
Redsand
1998 ZJ 

Definetly try replacing the TPS, i had the same problem on my 5.9 and replacing the TPS solved the problem right away. It only takes about five minutes, its really easy to do.
Redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
alexo1us

I was trying to put the page up. But way too big
PM me and I'll send you the page.
I'm still betting on the IAC had to clean mine once twice took it right out be careful with it but clean it up good be sure to spray in the hole to
But tps are relatively cheap auto parts store
01 Grand limited 4.7V8/QD
SFN Silver on Grey
alexo1us is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.