Replacing thermostat housing, 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing thermostat housing, 4.0

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
matt726
2004 WJ 

Replacing thermostat housing, 4.0

Hi all, I noticed my thermostat housing is leaking a bit. I was planning on replacing the thermostat, housing and gasket. I have 130,000 miles and as far as I know it's the original water pump. So my question is, since I'm working on the cooling system, should I just go ahead and replace the water pump? No overheating issues, just the slow leak from the housing, any advice is appreciated.

matt726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

You can if you want, I don't think you'll need a new housing, a good gasket and some rtv on both sides should be all you need. I just replaced my radiator and thermostat and didn't touch the water pump as it was still in good condition. I guess there is really no way to tell until you look at it

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
car5car
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt726 View Post
So my question is, since I'm working on the cooling system, should I just go ahead and replace the water pump?
Sure, replace waterpump, fuel pump and rear differential and, considering transmission is pretty close, rebuild it too.
Do not replace good parts.
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

What you need to replace is all the coolant that is left in the block. Since the thermostat housing is off this is a good time to do a thorough flush. Contrary to what some people think GO-5 is just a hybrid version of Dexcool or Prestone Any make/any model. It is organic acid technology and works well if everything is in order. BUT let air get into the system (via a leak) and you will soon have a engine full of acidic coolant. This acidic mess will eat plastic,gaskets and METAL.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADWOLF
What you need to replace is all the coolant that is left in the block. Since the thermostat housing is off this is a good time to do a thorough flush. Contrary to what some people think GO-5 is just a hybrid version of Dexcool or Prestone Any make/any model. It is organic acid technology and works well if everything is in order. BUT let air get into the system (via a leak) and you will soon have a engine full of acidic coolant. This acidic mess will eat plastic,gaskets and METAL.
Where did you hear this? It may be true but I've never heard this before. Please excuse my ignorance, but you say once air is present it turns into a corrosive acid, so in theory if you left it in the bottle with the cap off long enough it would eat away at the bottle? I find that hard to believe, but hey if it's true than its true haha

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04 View Post
Where did you hear this? It may be true but I've never heard this before. Please excuse my ignorance, but you say once air is present it turns into a corrosive acid, so in theory if you left it in the bottle with the cap off long enough it would eat away at the bottle? I find that hard to believe, but hey if it's true than its true haha
No, nothing would happen in the bottle. However, in the engine once OAT/HOAT breaks down for a number of reasons (air in system,overheating, mixing with ethylene glycol type antifreeze or exceeding the 5 year limit) the coolants protective barrier breaks down. This protective barrier is the ingredient that isolates the water from the iron in your block/head. Once that barrier is compromised iron oxide will begin to form....iron oxide and OAT combined form an EVIL emulsion.
If you ever notice your coolant turning brown you better react ASAP!
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #7
matt726
2004 WJ 

Thanks everyone, sounds like just a gasket replace and a cooling system flush. I just wasn't sure on the water pumps condition after 130k, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess.
matt726 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.