Replacing the glove box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing the glove box?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
FatalIll
2001 WJ 

Replacing the glove box?

I'm in the process of buying a 2001 WJ, the only thing that I noticed while test driving it was an annoying rattle, which I determined was the broken glove box. The handle is completely missing from it, and there's no way to open it up, and for some reason it shakes and rattles, and is really annoying.

I'm hoping its just the latch piece that needs to be replaced and not the entire box. I'm just wondering where I could find the latch assembly, how much it would cost, and how to replace it. I've never done anything with the glove box or the dashboard so any help would be appreciated.

FatalIll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
Duh

Mopar parts, but a junkyard might be best. Im sure someone might make an aftermarket, but never had need to look for one. At least if you take a junkyard one you can see how it goes together first or take the whole box
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
mountaintracker
2004 WJ 

Honestly I started down this road, but just went to Ebay for a 20 dollar used glove box of the same color. It was much easier. I broke my latch off completely being in a hurry once and slamming the glove box shut. The latch itself is two opposing spring loaded rods. When you move the latch, it slides two half triangle pieces, one from each latch, together. When they form a triangle, the box will open. It took maybe a week, but I found a used in good shape replacement online. The glove box itself has three plastic c shaped hinges that fit on a rod at the bottom. Two face the floor mat, the center one faces opposite. So you just have to pop one at a time off in sequence and the glove box slips off. But first, you have to make sure the glove box is laying completely down. To do this, with the box open, reach your hand towards the dash side of the box. There are two rubber stoppers, in rails, that stop the glove box from opening out too far. You just slide those stoppers down and it will allow the box to open out much more. To put the new one on, is just a reverse. Get the three c clamps onto the hinge. Then I put the stoppers on the rails first, you can push the glove box past the stoppers on the way up fairly easily.
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

My Jeep came with black interior. I went to the junkyard and found a WJ with grey interior and took all the lower dash trim pieces and glove box. The guy there wanted $25. Removal is simple. Just have patience and be gentle.

When you open the glove box, it hits 2 rubber bump stops. Pull those out. This will allow the who glove box (basically a tray with a hinge on the side) to hang down and expose the fasteners. Then I believe you need a Philips screw driver. I learned all this from WJ Jeeps.com, but as of now I cant get the site to open.
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.