Replacing front wheel bearings with no 4WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing front wheel bearings with no 4WD

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 09-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Linus
2004 WJ 

Replacing front wheel bearings with no 4WD

I have been hearing some grinding from the front end, more so during sharp turns. And I am getting some vibration through the gas and brake pedals. I am going to rotate my tires this weekend so I will check to see if there is any play in the wheel bearing to confirm it is bad.

But my issue is if it is bad, I took my front drive shaft out when the rzeppa joint broke so I how do I lock up the front axle with no 4WD to remove the big 36mm bearing nut?

Also those who have removed it, do yall recommend a breaker bar or an impact wrench? I have a medium sized breaker but would have to buy a cordless impact wrench. And I'm in Alabama so rust isn't a huge concern.

Thanks

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
bradywgn71
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

An impact wrench would be easiest, but try having someone hold the brakes down hard while you loosen it.
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Linus
2004 WJ 

I believe I can rent a 36mm socket and torque wrench (mine only goes up to 100ft/lbs) from Autozone. So a $100 impact wrench is still cheaper then taking it to a shop and I get to keep the tool.

Is it recommended to replace both sides? I don't want to add work or costs to the repair but want to eliminate whatever might be causing the noise and vibration.
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
WJChris01
2001 WJ 

Unless something damaged it to cause the issues (instead of them just being 10+ years old and finally wearing out), then I would probably replace both while you are doing it. Chances are if age and miles are causing one to grind, then very soon the other one will start as well.

I've always just used a big pipe wrench on the shaft/ears where the ujoint is, then let it rotate and bind against the knuckle. Big breaker bar and I've never had a problem busting the axle nut loose.

- 1998 XJ Sport
Bone stock for now......
WJChris01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Linus
2004 WJ 

I've got 135k miles on it and half dozen off road trips with 31"s and a lift on it. I figure that combination wore them out. The noise and vibration aren't real bad now but I want handle it before it gets worse.

Part of me just wants to take it to mechanic to keep me from dropping $ and time on a repair that I don't need. Could also be the pinion bearing, axle shafts, or rotors making the noise.
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
tim0

2002 WJ 

Have someone hold the brake with the engine running, so the brakes will hold the wheel from turning while you get the nut lose.
tim0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Linus
2004 WJ 

Checked the bearings best I could today when I rotated my tires. I couldn't feel any play, movement, or clicking when I tried to move the wheels. I did feel some resistance when I spun the wheels so I think my rotors might be warped.

Bigger issue, getting some wobble now at 40mph since I rotated the tires. Thinking I need to get the tires balanced and hope that takes care of it.
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
WJFrank88
2004 WJ 

Funny... I replaced both front wheel bearings today. My WJ has 130k on the clock and was def showing signs of bad wheel bearings--vibrations, shaky steering and making the classic womp womp womp noise when in gear. I'll give you some tips:

The 36mm nut was not the worst of it, tho my impact wrench couldn't budge it but I used a breaker bar. Keep the vehicle on the ground, it allows you to use the weight of the vehicle as leverage.
PB blaster, PB blaster, PB blaster. Those 3 12pt 13mm bolts that keep the hub on were a pain. Patience is key. Again, breaker bar proved better than my cheap sears impract wrench (rated for 150ft lbs)

The job is definitely doable alone, I did mine by myself and only dropped the F bomb 5 times (Mostly at the hub bolts).

Good luck. BTW, Steering feels 10x better, womp womp womp noise is gone and it rolls down the road a lot smoother after replacing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.