Replacing battery cables on your WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing battery cables on your WJ

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

Replacing battery cables on your WJ

I'm sure a couple of you have thought of doing this seeing that WJ cables are terrible. My 2000 has had cable/corrosion issues for the last couple years. They are the solid ones and stretch after awhile so I could never get them super tight. One was also cracked. Me being a lazy bastard would neglect replacing them and just clean them up only to be left stranded four to six months later. Two weeks ago I went to go start it to drive it to work in the snow so I wouldn't have to take my other car. Nothing happened. I cursed. I went to work. I made it home anyway. Yippee.

I called the dealer that day after looking online for the part # and pricing. It was $154 for the whole harness from the dealer and they would have it the next morning. Sold.

This really wasn't that bad of an install. Take out old one, put in new one. Was done in an hour and half and probably could have been faster. With two people it would take no more than 1/2 hour.

The cables connect to the battery (obviously), one to the alternator, a ground down the front of the engine to the back of the engine block, one to the fuse box, and another plug/ground that goes behind the engine to the starter. The starter one was annoying. I tied it to the long end of a ratchet strap, dropped the hook end down, and pulled. Presto.

Wal mart even replaced the battery for free for me. Yay warranty. I also had to get a new one 6 months ago because of this, also free. Now everything is new and I don't have to worry about it again.

Point if this post: this really isn't that hard to do. Change your entire harness for a few bucks extra and never worry again.

Out with the old junk.
[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/pete95sierra/media/image_zpsc565b962.jpg.html][/URL

New

Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

only 154 total? i just spent $300 on mine.
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

Yup, total. Where did you get it from?
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

shoot. I had bought them through a shop that was doing some other work.
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.