Replacing battery cables - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing battery cables

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
wj-jeepdrew

Replacing battery cables

Need to replace my battery cables. I've got a 2000 WJ 4.0L. Never replaced battery cables before. Do I need vehicle specific cables or can I use universal cables? How hard are they to replace? Thanks for the help.

wj-jeepdrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
js12278
1999 WJ 

You will want to get yourself something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-O-E-M-...937163&vxp=mtr
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

You can make your own cables. Part stores have different lengths you can pick from then put them together.
dsc01749.jpg  
rep-tile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
wj-jeepdrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep-tile View Post
You can make your own cables. Part stores have different lengths you can pick from then put them together.
What size cables did you use? Id rather make my own than spend so much on the complete harness.
Unread 02-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj-jeepdrew View Post
What size cables did you use? Id rather make my own than spend so much on the complete harness.
By size you mean diameter or length? It's all standard 4 AWG battery cable. For the length, I don't remember. I just took the old ones off and measured them, then grabbed new ones at carquest. They sell different predetermined lengths, so whatever matching length or a tad longer. These are top post cables, but you can also use universal battery terminals with clamps and cut the cables to size; I've done it before.
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

Making your own cables is very do-able, if you know what you are doing. My only concern, and to be frank, is your basic question of what size cable is used. To start with, you should get a wiring diagram to plan your materials. If you make your own cable set, you will probably spend near $50 if you use good quality cable and especially high quality battery clamps. Besides the battery clamps, you will need connectors for the chassis ground, the starter, and for the alternator.

I'm with js12278 on this one. An OEM set is 'plug-and-play'. All cables are the right length, and have the correct 'connectors' on all the right ends.

Quote:
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
multmigs
2003 WJ 

You can definitely make your own cables and use better than stock cable as well as upgrade to a marine type terminal which is SOOOO much better for later on when you have to do any removal of the battery or just disconnect for repair work. Lots of people just do that upgrade by chopping off the factory lead ends from the stock cables and then installing new ends only and get a much better connection just from that.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-swap-1356634/

I did this and the cable at the same time with generic parts store stuff, I just bought stuff that was 4ga and cut into correct size pieces from what they had in the premade section. They also sold a better wire maybe 0 ga by the foot there but I felt it was overkill considering I'm all stock radio etc. Think it cost me a bit over $50 total and a couple hours. Jeep starts up like a champ even in 5 degrees we have had repeatedly this winter
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

www.kelleyswip.com
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
js12278
1999 WJ 

After you build your new cables or install a new OEM harness, get yourself some Battery Corrosion Preventer spray. Products called NCP-2. Spray it on the battery terminals to prevent corrosion/oxidation usually found on poorly maintained connections. Use of this spray will keep any corrosion at bay. Spray it on ground connections exposed to the elements as well.
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
lemiller
2001 WJ 

i just upgraded all my cables to 2AWG. Wasn't too difficult of a job, just take your time with it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...g-3-a-2049009/
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
wj-jeepdrew

Thanks for all the info guys, it has all been very helpful.

My positive terminal is in bad shape and continues to corrode causing the Jeep not to start and gauges going crazy. When I disconnect and clean post and terminal, then reconnect it starts fine.

If I was to just replace the terminals, would that help my problem? Kinda needing a quick fix til I can make a harness.
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
wj-jeepdrew

This is the positive terminal.

cam01575.jpg
Unread 02-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Quote:
This is the positive terminal.

Attachment 1115809
If you remove a portion of cable insulation near the connector you might see corrosion hiding there.
Unread 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
lemiller
2001 WJ 

+1^^^^

That's what I found on mine. So I decided to just run all new wires. But it is possible to just cut off your battery connector and install a new one. I would use marine style or my preference, military style terminals.
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
wj-jeepdrew

I like the military style terminals. Can those be found at an auto parts store, or gotta be ordered online?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.