Replaced radiator, water pump and thermostat - fan question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replaced radiator, water pump and thermostat - fan question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
doomi
2002 WJ 

Replaced radiator, water pump and thermostat - fan question

I just replaced the radiator, water pump and thermostat and I have a couple questions.

The FSM says to bleed the system to remove the bleed nut... mine is frozen on there. Any other options?

Also, I am doing the warm up/ cool down cycles and the fan isn't kicking on. The temp gauge got a bit past the 210 mark, so I assume it should have turned on. Any ideas?

EDIT: I believe I got the fan problem taken care of. Most of the power steering fluid seems to have drained out when I replaced the radiator. I added fluid and the fan runs... now it is making a bad groaning noise, even though I used the approved PS fluid.

doomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
bendafinga
2004 WJ 

You can leave the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens if the bleed valve is stuck..
bendafinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
bendafinga
2004 WJ 

If you have air in your system the fan may not switch on. Bleed air by removing radiator cap..
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
doomi
2002 WJ 

I believe I got the fan problem taken care of. Most of the power steering fluid seems to have drained out when I replaced the radiator. I added fluid and the fan runs... now it is making a bad groaning noise, even though I used the approved PS fluid.

I'll work on bleeding the system with the rad cap off now.
Unread 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Park with the jeep front end on a curb to bring the nose up,this way the air will rise out of the system easier.You can also spray PBblaster on the bleed nut,let it sit overnight,should be easy by morning.When you put it back dont forget to dope the threads,loctite,or any thread sealant.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
doomi
2002 WJ 

My power steering is worrying me a bit. I opened the reservoir and it looks kind of like a milkshake.

Is there any way I could have hooked the lines back up incorrectly that could cause the groaning and discoloration?
Unread 04-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Drain that fluid out asap,then look at your connections again to make sure their right.Then fill with fresh fluid.Ive never seen that fluid look like a milkshake,but i wouldnt risk it.

Also check for air leak.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
doomi
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACNY View Post
Drain that fluid out asap,then look at your connections again to make sure their right.Then fill with fresh fluid.Ive never seen that fluid look like a milkshake,but i wouldnt risk it.

Also check for air leak.

That's what I'm thinking. Do you happen to know of a diagram that shows the proper connections. When I put them back together I was 100% sure that I did it right... now I'm questioning myself.
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
doomi
2002 WJ 

Reading the FSM it mentions foamy power steering fluid. Which is what I would probably consider mine to be. I didn't see the procedure to bleed the PS system after my radiator change so I imagine that's my problem. I'll still drain it and start over just to be safe.
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
bendafinga
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomi View Post
Reading the FSM it mentions foamy power steering fluid. Which is what I would probably consider mine to be. I didn't see the procedure to bleed the PS system after my radiator change so I imagine that's my problem. I'll still drain it and start over just to be safe.
I thought that you can bleed P/S by turning steering wheel all the way left and then all the way right...
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
specia1k
2004 WJ 

If you search on "Power stearing fluid flush" on this forum, you'll get a detailed step by step instructions. Good luck...
"Three daughters, three Jeeps"
specia1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

yes your correct, as far as im aware you turn the wheel from lock to lock a few times to bleed the system, then id shut it off and restart it a minute or two later, thats how i bleed them at work

Rusty's 2.5" coil/shock lift
265/70/16 (~31") General Grabber AT2's
custom painted silverblade wheels
Flowmaster 40 series cat-back exhaust
MOPAR transfer case skid plate
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

2004 BMW 325i Sedan
164,000+ miles

"my project"
factory sport package
5-speed manual
plasti-dipped wheels and wood trim

1997 BMW 328i Sedan
236,000+ miles

H&R OE sport springs
Bilstein sport struts/shocks
Eibach sway bar kit

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
BOTTLEDZ28

I could be wrong but I think the fittings for the PS lines to the pump are different from each other which would make it impossible to connect them wrong. Again, I could be wrong though
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #14
doomi
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28 View Post
I could be wrong but I think the fittings for the PS lines to the pump are different from each other which would make it impossible to connect them wrong. Again, I could be wrong though
Yeah, I had everything hooked up correctly... I just didn't realize all of the PS fluid drained out while replacing my radiator. And it looked frothy (which I guess can be normal when adding fluid) which worried me.
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Tezzating
2000 WJ 

The foam in the power steering is from the air in the system getting pushed out, causing frothing. Thats normal and it'll stop once all the airs out of the fans hydraulic system. Same as the noise, its the air getting forced out. Just keep the resevoir topped up and it'll stop after a proper drive.. no need to bleed.

Filling the rad.. my prefered method is to fill until it'll take no more, then squeeze the top radiator hose to get the air out. Top it up then start the engine with the cap off, leave it running and top up as needed. At some point the water level starts to rise and spew out the top, then its time to put the cap on.
Top up the overflow tank and go for a drive to get to operating temperature. Leave to cool overnight and top up the overflow in the morning.

Too easy.
Tezzating is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.