Replaced heater core . . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replaced heater core . . .

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Replaced heater core . . .

And the new one blew less than 24hrs later.

WTF?!?!?!?

Is this even possible?

cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

PLEASE HELP.

Could I have reversed the coolant lines running to the heater core? Does anyone have a diagram of how they are suppose to connect to the inlet/outlet tubes of the heater core on a 4.7 V8? Thanks.
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Even if you had reversed them all coolant does is run through the lines. Something else is going on. Blocked upstream perhaps..
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie
Even if you had reversed them all coolant does is run through the lines. Something else is going on. Blocked upstream perhaps..
I took everything back apart. The heater core was blown. The HVAC box was full of coolant AGAIN.

What do u mean blocked upstream?

When I put everything back together the first I drained the radiator. I ignored the bleeder screw and just filled the rad and left the reservoir open (as was suggested to me by my buddy who is a mechanic). Needless to save that left air in the system and the jeep briefly overheated for maybe a minute. I quickly turned it off and waited for it to cool down before refilling the coolant the proper way as listed on wjjeeps. Everything was fine. I drove the truck home 40 miles and drive it to work the next morning and when I went to leave work I saw a list mist starting from the vents. ; (

I have the new heater already installed in the HVAC box and the box is sealed and ready to be installed. I just want to try and figure out what went wrong so this doesn't happen AGAIN.

1. Briefly overheating with air in the system blew the core?
2. I somehow reversed the lines going to the heater core (which I didn't think mattered)
3. A faulty part (someone would have to die if that's the case)

What's everyone think?? Help please Im trying to get it put back and running as soon as I get off work today so any input would be great. Thanks!!
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

Whos heater core, parts store and manufacturer, probably a bad core.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003
Whos heater core, parts store and manufacturer, probably a bad core.
Spectra . . . It's the same one that had been in there since new. 140k on the truck. The new one I got from pep boys appears to be aluminum.
image-2928367508.jpg

Unread 12-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Use the bleeder screw, that's what it's there for. Chances are you had an air pocket in the core, and as the air pocket heated up it created enough pressure to crack one of the solder welds on your core. Hope your mechanic buddy is willing to help you in the event you damaged the headgasket and/or drop a valve seat since you've overheated the engine.

That heater core looks to be copper, not aluminum. It's also possible that you may have tweaked one of the hard lines coming out of the core when reinstalling. That's the one issue with copper cores, they don't do so well with slight bending as the solder joints can crack easily.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
Use the bleeder screw, that's what it's there for. Chances are you had an air pocket in the core, and as the air pocket heated up it created enough pressure to crack one of the solder welds on your core. Hope your mechanic buddy is willing to help you in the event you damaged the headgasket and/or drop a valve seat since you've overheated the engine.

That heater core looks to be copper, not aluminum. It's also possible that you may have tweaked one of the hard lines coming out of the core when reinstalling. That's the one issue with copper cores, they don't do so well with slight bending as the solder joints can crack easily.
Right, the picture is the one that just blew. I already took that one and replaced it with an aluminum one, last night.

I knew all about the bleeder screw. I read as much as I could before attempting to tackle this project but I'm by no means a mechanic. It's my own fault for going against my better judgement.

I was extremely careful handling the heater core prior to install so I know I didn't tweak or bend anything ,especially, enough to break a solder joint.

I just wondered if that brief overheating is the reason it blew. Wouldn't I have known right away if that was the case? It seems like it didnt actually "blow" til the next morning.
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

It might not of been anything you did.. maybe it was just defective from the git go.

I pondered that myself after doing this a few weeks ago.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Maybe, pressure test the new one before you put it in, to make sure it has no leaks.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Installed another new heater core on Wed night. Everything was fine except the blend air door is now f@$&'d. But it's blowing cold on the drivers side so I believe I can go thru the glove box to replace the actuator.

Went to start it today and I was about to pull out of the driveway when the "coolant low" message appeared. Checked the reservoir and it was almost completely empty. I refilled with g-05 so it's almost impossible to see where it's leaking from with snow on the ground. I refilled the reservoir and left it sitting there. I guess I'll see what happens when I drive it to work in the morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.