Replaced Fan Relay and Now have p1491 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 08-20-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
WJJarvis

Replaced Fan Relay and Now have p1491

I replaced my fan relay this morning after my engine reached way past the 210 mark and overheated. I bought a Dorman 902-303 relay before replacing the relay my fan would not come on when the temperature of the engine reached past 220 only came on when I had defrost on. I replaced it with the wiring harness provided and matched the wires with the previous and hooked everything up and when I turned it on the code p1491 came on. I was wondering if muons has used this relay or if maybe I did something wrong? Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-20-2017, 07:25 PM
jra8858-2

Well first question would be is your fan working correctly now? If it is, try clearing the code and see if it comes back
post #3 of 30 Old 08-20-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
WJJarvis

No fan does not come back on tried turning ac on and letting it reach temp and nothing

post #4 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 06:32 AM
halofreaks

Garage
A p1491 in a Jeep means the relay is open or shorted, so you might have wired it improperly? That fan is only meant to work when the defrost or A/C is working. The engine mounted fan is supposed to do all the work, i'd pop the relay back in and see if the fan still turns on and off as normal with the A/C

We are everywhere.
We are the Three Percent.
post #5 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 AM
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

I just installed my second Dorman 903-303 this past Saturday. My fan motor went bad and pulled too much power, this fried the relay into stuck on all the time and melted the harness at the relay. I needed to install a new headlight header panel, so I tore off the whole front of the DubyaJay and got to work.
When you installed the harness, did you match the wires by location or by color? The color on my harness was completely off, so I matched by location. I also soldered all my connections instead of crimping them. Having the header panel off made that part super easy. It only takes a few minutes extra to pull the bumper cover and the panel, so I would recommend that. I also popped off the upper radiator support and pulled the bolts out of the radiator mounts to allow it to tilt forward to make it easier to reach those ever so fun lower bolts on the shroud. If I were a smart man I would have dropped in a mechanical fan while I was in there, but that didn't cross my mind till I was too far along to go get those parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99 WJ Laredo - Mine once again!
post #6 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
WJJarvis

I contacted Dorman and they said match the wires by location which I did so I recrimmped them to save time. I tried everything again still the code and even tried clearing it and it would come right back. I tried my old relay and still the code came up. I tried turning the ac on with both of them still nothing came and even tried hand turning the fan and it wouldn't move. I'm beyond frustrated lol
post #7 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 09:05 AM
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

When you spin the fan by hand, does it turn easily or does it take force?

post #8 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
WJJarvis

The fan spins pretty freely when I tried to spin it not really any force
post #9 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 AM
halofreaks

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJarvis View Post
and even tried hand turning the fan and it wouldn't move.
Wait the fan doesn't move?

If that is so and it's electric, then that means the bearings are shot or the graphite brushes are damaged/broken and jamming the fan which might be what is giving you the short circuit code... If its the metal fan mounted to the engine then it'll be impossible to turn, too much torque is required to hand crank the engine and spin the mechanical fan.

Hook the fan up directly to the battery..... if it spins then there is something else damaged, likely a wire.

We are everywhere.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
WJJarvis

The fan doesn't move at all when I try to spin it with the ac on it spins pretty freely. The thing is it worked before I changed the relay then as I snipped the wires and replaced it I get the code and no working.
post #11 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 11:29 AM
halofreaks

Garage
Ok... That makes no sense at all.... It is stone-still and nigh unmovable but when when the AC is on it can turn freely but it still won't turn on?

Please take a picture of your setup so I know what fans I am dealing with.

We are everywhere.
post #12 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
WJJarvis

Ok I'll take a picture of my set up when I get off work and hopefully be able to figure it out
post #13 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 12:48 PM
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

If the fan spins freely by hand, the motor is not shot. You can disconnect the fan, and as long as the relay is working, you won't get a code for it. Something is either not wired correctly or there is a poor connection in the crimp connectors.

post #14 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
WJJarvis

Here is my setup with the wiring and the fan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0523_1503359653780.jpg   IMG_0525_1503359679244.jpg   IMG_0527_1503359705848.jpg  
post #15 of 30 Old 08-21-2017, 06:15 PM
halofreaks

Garage
Ok... So.... The four wires coming into that Relay are as follows.... (Mind you I am looking at the 2000 WJ)

Grey Wire is Fused positive 12v power
Dark blue/Pink wire Radiator Fan Relay Control
Dark Green is Radiator Fan Output.
Black is Ground.

In the pic it looks like the ground wire is actually connected to the signal wire. Connect the relay black wire to the WJ Black wire. Connect the Relay Blue Wire to the WJ Dark Blue/pink wire. Connect the relay Green to the WJ's Green. That should fix your issue.

We are everywhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.