Repainting WJ wheels - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Repainting WJ wheels

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #31
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

Thanks! I used a can of heat resistant matt black spray paint (not sure about the brand, but I will check) I did not use any primer, since there was paint on previously, I hope it doesn't peel... I did do the back as well, so I used about a whole can for the wheel.

Sorry about the hi-jack scross!

2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #32
scross1220
2002 WJ 

No problem. I hope it all went well with your painting and post a picture.
l_---l_l__l---[[COLOR="yellow"]o[/COLOR]]llllll[[COLOR="yellow"]o[/COLOR]]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)[/COLOR]

[SIZE="5"]If you're not fixing it, you're not driving a Jeep.[/SIZE]

---My Chariots past and present---

[COLOR="red"]1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 196,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Sold[/B]
[COLOR="yellow"]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 161,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Sold[/B]
[COLOR="blue"]2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 147,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Own[/B]
[COLOR="green"]2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.6L Stroker 122,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Own[/B]
scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

I did the spare last weekend and have a pic posted on page 2, its gonna take some time to do the rest of the wheels between all the DIY the wife wants done around the house, but I'll be sure to post pics as I go!
2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #34
csoehn
2004 WJ 

your before pic looks better than my current pic lol, i was thinking of trying this on my WJ, you have inspired me now

so you used 150-600 grit sand paper to sand the wheels, then Dupicolor silver rim paint and clear coat, then wetsand with 1500 grit?

keep us posted on how long it lasts, i did this to my car rims and winter took a beating on them...they started to peel a little, but i probably could have sanded them better
csoehn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #35
scross1220
2002 WJ 

Sorry for the delay getting back to you I was in California on business for a couple of weeks and just got back. Yes I used 600 grit to sand but if you have a really badly chipped or scratch wheel then start with the 150 grit first. I used the Dupicolor clear adhesion promoter first then 3 coats of silver and 3 coats of clear. Only wet sand with 1500 or 2000 grit if you want the hi shine but I only did it to one wheel since I did a better job on the clear coat on the other wheels. Still looks good and its been over a month.
l_---l_l__l---[[COLOR="yellow"]o[/COLOR]]llllll[[COLOR="yellow"]o[/COLOR]]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)[/COLOR]

[SIZE="5"]If you're not fixing it, you're not driving a Jeep.[/SIZE]

---My Chariots past and present---

[COLOR="red"]1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 196,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Sold[/B]
[COLOR="yellow"]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 161,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Sold[/B]
[COLOR="blue"]2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 147,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Own[/B]
[COLOR="green"]2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.6L Stroker 122,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Own[/B]
scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.