removing stock trailer hitch on 2001 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > removing stock trailer hitch on 2001

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
68W10
2003 WJ 

removing stock trailer hitch on 2001

My roommate totaled his 2001 WJ and he's letting me grab the trailer hitch off of it. Its at a body shop so I dont have all day to sit there and figure out how to do this when i get there. Can some please give me a write up on how to do this and what size sockets ill need and everything? That would be a huge help.

2003 WJ Limited 4.7L, IRO 4" Basic Lift, Bilstein 5100s, Addco Rear Sway Bar, Tenneco SS, IRO Track Bar, JK Rubi Take offs, Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 265/70/17, 5000k DDM Tuning HID Slim Ballast 55W, Spyder CCFL Projectors, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers, 3" Kolak Exhaust
68W10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
stone white 99

You'll need a 1/2" 18mm socket with at least a foot and a half of 1/2" extensions just to be safe a ratchet and a big breaker bar just in case.
A hydraulic jack to lower it (recommended)
It is 4-6 bolts, 4 are easy to see and two are under the bumper. I took a step drill bit and made a big ol hole in the bumper below the bolts so i could get the exstension in there to loosen them oh yeah pb blaster and If he has the thick gas tank skid, and you dont Id get that too.
Youre going to need a drill with a 1/4" bit to drill out the plastic rivets holding the bumper to the tank, then pull out the hitch bezel and the hitch will come out of there without removing the bumper. get all the skids if you can
stone white 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/trailer.htm#DIAGRAMS

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.