Remove inner fender liners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remove inner fender liners

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
outbackmatt

Remove inner fender liners

Anyone else discard their wj's inner fender liners? I have done so on mine and it makes cleaning up mud more efficient. Also my front tires would rub them when I turned while reversing.

I was just wondering if there is a known downside to removing them? I noticed driving in rainy weather my front floor boards form a puddle underneath the carpet. I've narrowed it down to the road spray from the tires coming in through the door weather stripping due to there being no inner liners.

I tested this by removing the carpet and spraying a garden hose through the inside of the front fenders the same way as the road spray would and the water seeped in right away. Curious to know if others have had the same problem. Since the puddle is happening underneath the carpet, it usually does not make the carpet visibly wet. Therefore some people may not even know the floor boards are getting soaked.

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
bradywgn71
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

There were some foam pieces in mine that were stuffed into the door jam area behind the liners. I kept those in there to help keep spray out. You could buy a couple pool noodles and cut and stuff them in there. Paint them if you don't like the neon colors.

Pic of my wheel well. You can kinda see the black foam pieces in there:

Unread 09-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
outbackmatt

Good idea! The foam piece fell out on my driver side and I've been meaning to replace it.
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
ultimo
2002 WJ 

Wind noise loads of it on the free way without the liner and foam padding....drove around once without fenders and it was unbearable.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I have never had liners on my WJ. I do have to spray mud off of the front bumper after wheeling though...it tends to escape in the space between the headlights and the bumper.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
webby88
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimo View Post
Wind noise loads of it on the free way without the liner and foam padding....drove around once without fenders and it was unbearable.
^ this X~

The wind noise is just maddening. But with a lift and off road tires, wind noise is the least of your worries I guess.
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
TimMcc

Never noticed wind noise without inner liners, maybe because of tire noise...lol
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Forget the wind noise....I would be more worried about all the mud being thrown into inaccessible parts of your US spec ungalvanised wings..sorry fenders! Rust holes here we come!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
outbackmatt

I havent noticed much wind noise either with the mud terrains. lol

Partly why I removed the liners besides rubbing issues was to help with clean up. Somehow mud gets past the liners anyway and goes into all those inaccessible places of the fenders. With the liners removed you can more thoroughly pressure wash these areas clean.

I dont want water coming inside everytime I drive on wet roads though, so I picked up some new liners from rock auto to trim them and maybe they will work without the tires rubbing.
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Took mine off when I got my 32's never looked back no more rubbing and I have a can of undercoating I am going to apply to them.
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
bmandubj10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Forget the wind noise....I would be more worried about all the mud being thrown into inaccessible parts of your US spec ungalvanised wings..sorry fenders! Rust holes here we come!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.

You sure about that?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
You sure about that?
What part??? If you mean the galvanised bit, I could be wrong but I was lead to believe that only Austrain built WJs thay we get here were fully galvanised....but im happy to be proven wrong.
If you mean the inaccessible bit then jet washing up under the arches after every run in the mud is not my idea of fun!
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
What part??? If you mean the galvanised bit, I could be wrong but I was lead to believe that only Austrain built WJs thay we get here were fully galvanised....but im happy to be proven wrong.
If you mean the inaccessible bit then jet washing up under the arches after every run in the mud is not my idea of fun!
The part where you said mud was getting into inaccessible parts of the fender, since you know, they're inaccessible

Just givin' ya a hard time.

Even with fender liners, mud gets everywhere under there. The worst place is the lip of the fender.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.