Remote start options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remote start options

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Remote start options

Have seen write ups about adding remote start to a WJ. I am looking to read opinions and maybe what are some of the products used. Thanks

coloradowjowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Remote starts waste gas and are for *******. Man up and endure the cold.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
Wow. Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradowjowner View Post
Have seen write ups about adding remote start to a WJ. I am looking to read opinions and maybe what are some of the products used. Thanks
DEI modules are excellent products (Avital, Viper...), but their instructions suck.

The first step is to determine whether you have sentry (if key is gray, you have sentry), because you will need a bypass module and the approach to wiring will change big time. Let's put it this way, wiring will be easier with a bypass module, but troubleshooting why it doesn't work may be more difficult, since you have two modules to worry about. I've used DB-ALL as a bypass module, it took awhile to figure it all out, but now I'm happy with it (part of the problem was corroded battery cables...).
rep-tile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric
Really? It's for my wife and my two babies. But hey thanks for your opinion.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

I will be needing a bypass
Unread 11-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
dadamets
2002 WJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-easy-1312756/

The total cost was approximately $85 and after I got the nerve to start tapping into the wires it went very easy as the above post is a step by step guide. I think the hardest thing was tucking the 2 modules and associated wiring up under the dash.
dadamets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
ForeverJeep86
2002 WJ 

I actually have an appointment this Friday at bestbuy for them to install my Viper remote start/ alarm system. I bought my 02 GC Limited earlier this year around March from a Nissan dealership who said it had an aftermarket alarm installed. That said "aftermarket alarm" is actually factory, and somehow my alarm is always going off, plucked out the hazzard relay fuse(blinkers) and the horn fuse also. Been driving without blinkers this whole time(Yikes!!), thank god no accidents nor even any near accidents(Driving like a Mass hole?)

Anyway, new Viper remote start going in on Friday. I don't have the skills to do it myself, so I paid the $168. Bypass module will be required. Original price on RS/alarm was $400, bestbuy manager dropped it to $100 due to being an "older" model lol.
ForeverJeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverJeep86
I actually have an appointment this Friday at bestbuy for them to install my Viper remote start/ alarm system. I bought my 02 GC Limited earlier this year around March from a Nissan dealership who said it had an aftermarket alarm installed. That said "aftermarket alarm" is actually factory, and somehow my alarm is always going off, plucked out the hazzard relay fuse(blinkers) and the horn fuse also. Been driving without blinkers this whole time(Yikes!!), thank god no accidents nor even any near accidents(Driving like a Mass hole?)

Anyway, new Viper remote start going in on Friday. I don't have the skills to do it myself, so I paid the $168. Bypass module will be required. Original price on RS/alarm was $400, bestbuy manager dropped it to $100 due to being an "older" model lol.
Have you ever checked the wiring in the doors for broken wires? (Alarm always going off?)
dadamets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
Plebeian.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I, also, want to add a remote start to my WJ. I don't have a SKIM module (no sentry key - no chip in my key) so I'm thinking the remote start will be pretty easily installed in mine. Has anyone installed theirs without the need for the bypass module?
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
j201ton
2004 WJ 

My 92 Xj has had an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry/ alarm with start disable since I purchased it in 2000 from the PO. All those wires and modules under the dash always made me paranoid. I have never had any issues though. It Has been on rough trail duty since I bought it.It is an old "Ungo Box' unit if any one remembers those. I would just be worried about creating an issue with the wiring integrity. A lot of people use them though.
255/70R17 Cooper AT3's, JK Moabs
Fawkes Fab Modular Mounts, Shackle Tabs, BB Brackets
j201ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitsy View Post
Yes I was joking and making fun of Michigan... That's why I added the giggling smiley.

Although I agree with the part about wasting gas. The car warms up fastest by driving, not idling. Or you could park it inside the garage and use a block heater....
You sure do assume a lot. Like its not gunna be a little colder in Co than Tx, he has a garage or he has a place to plug a block heater in, like lives in an appt complex with no outlet in the parking lot.

Also yo should let your car warm up and give fluids a chance to get warm before driving.

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
greeky510
2000 WJ 

How much is best buy charging you total for install and buy of the remote start?
What model are you getting?
I installed a Viper 5704 on my 00 grand cherokee, not difficult at all as long as you have some common sense.
Sent from AutoGuide.com App
greeky510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

To start he asked for opinions, which is what I gave. My post was on both a serious and joking note. The remote start systems waste a lot of gas, hence money. Most things I have read is that it is better to start driving as soon as you start your vehicle (idle about 30 Seconds) instead of letting it idle to warm up. My WJ would start to get heat within about 2 miles of driving, so to me preheating is a waste. The man up comment was on the lighter side.

http://www.autohausllc.com/automotiv...to-warm-up.htm

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
stifmeister

Winter is not the same everywhere. Using a link from Lexington, SC that talks about "Cold Morning Start: To Warm Up Or Not to Warm Up?" is a joke at best. I have been in cars that were so cold that the windows fog up with a coating frost within a minute just from breathing in the car. Colder it is outside the longer it takes to get heat. Driving around like stevie wonder is out right dangerous.
stifmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.