Remote Start & Keyless Entry ... VERY EASY! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remote Start & Keyless Entry ... VERY EASY!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #106
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

Just ordered this for my 01 and going to do the install myself. Wondering if you cut and spliced the wires or if you used a connector like a scotch lock

Hlude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #107
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

alright just finished the install and everything seems to work, but jeep won't start on first try. It always has to wait for the second try. I noticed that the all lights come on with first start. Headlights and parking lights. On second start only parking lights. Everything seems to be wired correctly and everything else seems to work. Also on first attempt it cranks acts like it's going to fire and then cough instead
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #108
remmargorp

I just did this installation last weekend (2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee)... it definitely took me longer than 1.5 hours but I managed to do it while I was sick

I bought the Avital 4013 and ExpressKit DBALL from SonicElectronix, I asked if they could load the firmware for the DBALL and they did (confirmed by using an XKLOADER2), without affecting my delivery date (awesome)

Things worth noting:
  • I installed the Avital and DBALL behind the fuse box, I'm not thrilled with the location, it's tight... now that I've gone through the install, I would probably relocate to the center console area... would require a little more planning to get everything run/mounted there, but I think it could be cleaner then behind the fuse box
  • I did not ground PIN6 on the black 10-pin harness for the security system... this was not required per the DBALL Type 3 installation (which is for all Jeeps 99-04)... the stock security system functions properly
  • When using the remote starter the headlights will not come on until you press the brake to deactivate the Avital (key in ignition and on)... this caught me off-guard the first time I remote started at night
  • I would highly recommend installing a hood switch of some sort... unless you have the on/off toggle and trust that you'll always remember to turn it off when you're working on your vehicle... I installed a Directed 8601 magnetic switch... you have options... mechanical pin switch (hoodpin or doorpin), tilt switch, magnetic switch... keep in mind this switch should be Normally Closed... wire grey PIN4 on the 5-pin (H3, Remote Start) harness for the Avital 4013 to the switch then from the switch to ground

Connection notes:
  • I soldered almost all the connections, there were a few where I used a scotch-lok... I'll probably go back and solder the few connections I made with a scotch-lok
  • I soldered the ignition wires using the "Tap Soldering" method http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/connections.htm
  • I used scotch-lok's for: the tap on the OBDII connection, the tap on the headlight wire, one ground tap to the main ground on the Avital 4103
  • I made interior grounds to the lower-left bolt (13mm?) on the firewall for the steering wheel

Thanks to the original poster for making this cut-and-dry!! All the info is found in the Avital 4103 and DBALL install manuals... but that initial post is fantastic!!

Last edited by remmargorp; 11-24-2013 at 07:46 PM..
remmargorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #109
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

I had asked sonic about loading the firmware and they said they didn't do that. I ended up ordering from 12voltsavings.com. It was cheaper and shipped two day priority mail for free. It was pre flashed and real easy to deal with them.
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #110
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmargorp
I just did this installation last weekend (2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee)... it definitely took me longer than 1.5 hours but I managed to do it while I was sick

I bought the Avital 4013 and ExpressKit DBALL from SonicElectronix, I asked if they could load the firmware for the DBALL and they did (confirmed by using an XKLOADER2), without affecting my delivery date (awesome)

Things worth noting:
[*]I installed the Avital and DBALL behind the fuse box, I'm not thrilled with the location, it's tight... now that I've gone through the install, I would probably relocate to the center console area... would require a little more planning to get everything run/mounted there, but I think it could be cleaner then behind the fuse box[*]I did not ground PIN6 on the black 10-pin harness for the security system... this was not required per the DBALL Type 3 installation (which is for all Jeeps 99-04)... the stock security system functions properly[*]When using the remote starter the headlights will not come on until you press the brake to deactivate the Avital (key in ignition and on)... this caught me off-guard the first time I remote started at night[*]I would highly recommend installing a hood switch of some sort... unless you have the on/off toggle and trust that you'll always remember to turn it off when you're working on your vehicle... I installed a Directed 8601 magnetic switch... you have options... mechanical pin switch (hoodpin or doorpin), tilt switch, magnetic switch... keep in mind this switch should be Normally Closed... wire grey PIN4 on the 5-pin (H3, Remote Start) harness for the Avital 4013 to the switch then from the switch to ground

Connection notes:
[*]I soldered almost all the connections, there were a few where I used a scotch-lok... I'll probably go back and solder the few connections I made with a scotch-lok[*]I soldered the ignition wires using the "Tap Soldering" method http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/connections.htm[*]I used scotch-lok's for: the tap on the OBDII connection, the tap on the headlight wire, one ground tap to the main ground on the Avital 4103[*]I made interior grounds to the lower-left bolt (13mm?) on the firewall for the steering wheel

Thanks to the original poster for making this cut-and-dry!! All the info is found in the Avital 4103 and DBALL install manuals... but that initial post is fantastic!!
I have a question for you.... When you remote start and you have your heat and fan set to hi, does the fan go to hi when you remote start? I have a 02 Overland and when I go and get in the fan is not running... It will come on when I put the key in and depress the break.

Thanks in advance!
dadamets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #111
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadamets
I have a question for you.... When you remote start and you have your heat and fan set to hi, does the fan go to hi when you remote start? I have a 02 Overland and when I go and get in the fan is not running... It will come on when I put the key in and depress the break. Thanks in advance!
Put your temp as desired, fan and everything Ells on auto, then it will chill or heat your Jeep as needed.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #112
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk

Put your temp as desired, fan and everything Ells on auto, then it will chill or heat your Jeep as needed.
I did this tonight. 20 degrees f out and when I climbed in no fan running? I moved the fan speed dial and it started up?
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #113
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Does auto function Work as normal when you drive the Jeep?
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #114
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk
Does auto function Work as normal when you drive the Jeep?
Yes, the auto function works fine as well as everything else when I drive the jeep.
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:18 AM   #115
briandor
2004 WJ 

Did you hook up the second accessory power input and outputs? The auto climate control runs on the second accessory circuit in the ignition switch and you'll need to hook up the second accessory input and output to power it. I just did a Viper in mine and had the same thing happening until I hooked up the second accessory power input.
briandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #116
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor
Did you hook up the second accessory power input and outputs? The auto climate control runs on the second accessory circuit in the ignition switch and you'll need to hook up the second accessory input and output to power it. I just did a Viper in mine and had the same thing happening until I hooked up the second accessory power input.
As far as I know, I hooked up everything as the OP of this thread did. Now once in awhile, I will notice that the fan is running, when I get in to the jeep? Kind of stumped without going and checking all the wiring. Not sure when I will have time but I will have to do it. Now an odd thing happened last night, when I used the remote start...... When I got in the jeep, the fan wasn't running but the moonroof was open? Definitely stumped on this one!
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #117
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

The auto climate control will do that. The fan will not go full blast if the motor is cold. One of the things I like about it. Its smart enough not to blast you with cold air until the motor warms up and it can blow hot air. Try it with the fan knob turned to full blast and the location knob to something other than auto. I'll bet it works just fine.

Edit: didn't see the part about the moonroof initially. That is completely unrelated to anything else, though.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #118
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip
The auto climate control will do that. The fan will not go full blast if the motor is cold. One of the things I like about it. Its smart enough not to blast you with cold air until the motor warms up and it can blow hot air. Try it with the fan knob turned to full blast and the location knob to something other than auto. I'll bet it works just fine.

Edit: didn't see the part about the moonroof initially. That is completely unrelated to anything else, though.
I will have to do some testing. As far as the the moonroof???

Thanks for all the ideas!
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #119
ellenberger
2000 WJ 

I have a 2000 grand Cherokee and I want to install a remote start cause its my quad hauler and it sits down under my shed now since winters coming. I want to obviously be able to start it if I'm going to get it or just let it run for a bit on a weekend I dont use it. Its a good 100+ yards so my lazy a$$ isn't going in the cold to start and shut it off haha

So here's my question, I dont have a OEM remote, just a grey key. Can I still use this system and set it up to use the aftermarket key fob? Thanks!
ellenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #120
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenberger View Post
I have a 2000 grand Cherokee and I want to install a remote start cause its my quad hauler and it sits down under my shed now since winters coming. I want to obviously be able to start it if I'm going to get it or just let it run for a bit on a weekend I dont use it. Its a good 100+ yards so my lazy a$$ isn't going in the cold to start and shut it off haha

So here's my question, I dont have a OEM remote, just a grey key. Can I still use this system and set it up to use the aftermarket key fob? Thanks!
Yes. The OEM key fob would not be needed anyway.
rep-tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.