Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Remote Start & Keyless Entry ... VERY EASY!

186K views 336 replies 95 participants last post by  three_jeeps 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I thought I would share with you all my remote start experience on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee....

Total install time... 1.5 hrs

Equipment you will need...
1. Avital 4103 Remote Start & Keyless Entry System D2D compatible $75.
2. Expresskit DBALL Integration / Bypass Module $50.

Before we begin, let me start off by saying, although this is relatively an easy DIY install, if you feel you're not up to the task or do not really know what you're doing, leave it to a pro. The wire colors I have stated are what I used on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and from my research should be the same for all 99-04 Grand Cherokee models, but DOUBLE CHECK all yours to be sure. NEVER just go by what they say the wires are on paper, always TEST THEM to be sure!

Step 1...
A. Remove the plastic panel directly underneath your gauges, by prying it up and out. There are no screws that hold it in place. It simply will pop off.

B. Remove the large panel under your dash (the panel across your knees). It is held in place by a total of 5 screws.

C. Remove the steering wheel column cover. One recessed philips screw hold it together, and then you simply pull the two halves apart.

Now you have access to all the areas of your vehicle where you will need to tap / connect into to install your system.

Step 2...
A. On the DBALL module, connect the PINK (+) ignition input lead coming from harness 10 (there are five harness inputs, labeled 2, 12, 14, 4 and 10) to the YELLOW (+) ignition output of the Avital 4103.

B. Tap the VIOLET / YELLOW J1850 lead coming from harness 14 on the DBALL module to PIN 2 on the Jeeps OBDII diagnostic connector.

C. On the bottom side of the steering column, you will find the key immobilizer module. Cut the wire coming from PIN 3 (DARK BLUE / WHITE) and connect the immobilizer side end to the ORANGE / YELLOW wire coming from harness 14 on the DBALL module, and then connect the car side end to the YELLOW wire coming from harness 14 on the DBALL module.

D. On the left side of the steering column, you will find the headlight switch. Tap both the VIOLET / GREEN and VIOLET / BROWN wires coming from harness 12 on the DBALL module to PIN 11 (YELLOW) on the white headlight switch connector.

E. On the bottom side of the steering column, you will find the ignition switch connector. Tap the two RED 12V high current input wires coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the single RED wire on the ignition switch connector. Tap the PINK ignition output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the DARK BLUE on the ignition switch connector. Tap the VIOLET starter output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the YELLOW on the ignition switch connector. Tap the ORANGE accessory 1 output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the RED / BLACK on the ignition switch connector. Tap the PINK / WHITE ignition 2 output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the BLACK / ORANGE wire on the ignition switch.

F. Connect (or ground) the BLACK / WHITE neutral safety shutdown wire coming from the Avital 4103 unit.

G. Connect (ground) the BLACK ground wire coming from the Avital 4103 unit.

H. Plug in the extended range antenna to the Avital unit. Route and install in an appropriate location.

I. Plug in the valet / programming button to the Avital unit. Route and install in an appropriate location.

That's it for the wiring! You can tie up or cut all the extra unused wires and leads. Now it's time to program the module for D2D mode and finalize the installation.

Step 3...
A. Connect the D2D harness to the Avital unit but NOT to the DBALL module. Now connect harness 10, 12, 14 to the DBALL module. Press and hold the programming button, then connect the 4-pin D2D harness. Wait until the LED turns on ORANGE then release the programming button. The LED should now be RED. D2D connection is now complete!

B. To program the key bypass, insert the key into the ignition barrel and turn it to the ON position. The LED turns on solid GREEN for 3 seconds and the turns off. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key. Bypass is now complete!

And you're done!!! Give yourself a pat on your back!!!

Go ahead and test the system out, and if everything's working as it should, it's time to zip-tie and clean everything up. A good place to secure both the Avital unit and the DBALL module is right behind the fuse panel. It's a tight space, but everything does fit there nicely.

Naturally you can use any remote start / keyless entry system, but one that is D2D compatible (as with the the Avital 4103 and most late model Viper systems), really does simply everything. It eliminates the need to cut, tap and splice a dozen plus more wires.

Good luck and enjoy!
:2thumbsup:

See less See more
#212 ·
I think it's 402.CHRYSLER2 V2.02.01. This firmware is what comes up when you enter the vehicle information on XpressKit's "Find a system that fits your vehicle". Unless someone points me to a different firmware, this is what I'll be installing on mine this week.

#214 ·
#215 ·
Between Thanksgiving and a party hosted at our house on Saturday, my time went to cleaning and visiting with friends/family. I hope to get time this coming weekend.

#217 ·
I just did this install a couple weeks ago it went very smooth. I bought my stuff on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351022563777?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130800506206?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

for less than $100 I got the dball from loudnprecision and they flash it for free, you just have to send a note at checkout they also send a wiring diagram too. just follow the directions in the original post and youll have no problems.

the only thing that is happening for me is the key light on the dash sometimes stays on.. havent figured out whats going on there, range for me is about 1 city block, but i have my antenna under the dash.

jeff

#218 ·
I have a couple questions that I'd appreciate some clarification on. First off, the following is the list re-typed from post 1. I'll even color code it:

DBALL H10/9 (Pink) - Avital H1/3 (Yellow)
DBALL H14/2 (Violet/Yellow) - Jeep OBDII Pin 2
DBALL H14/9 (Orange/Yellow) - Jeep Immobilizer Pin 3 (Dark Blue/White) - Immobilizer Side
DBALL H14/8 (Yellow) - Jeep Immobilizer Pin 3 (Dark Blue/White) - Car Side
DBALL H12/9 & 8 (Violet/Green, Violet/Brown) - Jeep Headlight Switch Pin 11 (Yellow)
Avital H2/4 (Red) - Jeep Ignition Switch (Red)
Avital H2/6 (Red) - Jeep Ignition Switch (Red)
Avital H2/1 (Pink) - Jeep Ignition Switch (Dark Blue)
Avital H2/2 (Purple) - Jeep Ignition Switch (Yellow)
Avital H2/3 (Orange) - Jeep Ignition Switch (Red/Black)
Avital H2/5 (Pink/White) - Jeep Ignition Switch (Black/Orange)
Avital H3/1 (Black/White) - Ground
Avital H1/8 (Black) - Ground

Plug in the extended range antenna to the Avital unit. Route and install in an appropriate location.

Plug in the valet / programming button to the Avital unit. Route and install in an appropriate location.

As said previously, the above is the wiring described in Step 2 of the original post "to a T". Looking over my DBALL2 wiring diagram and matching it to the Avital wiring diagram, why wouldn't you connect the following, especially the last two that are underlined?

Avital H1/9 Light Flash Output (White) - DBALL H10/7 Parking Lights Input (Pink/White)
Avital Door Lock 1 Unlock (Light Blue) - DBALL H10/2 Unlock Input (Blue)
Avital Door Lock 3 Lock (Green) - DBALL H10/1 Lock Input (Green)
Avital Satellite Harness 1 Status Output (Blue) - DBALL H10/10 GRW (Status) Input (Blue/White)
Avital Satellite Harness 3 Starter Output (Purple) - DBALL H10/8 Starter Input (Violet)
Avital H3/2 Tach Input (Violet/White) - DBALL H12/5 Tach Output (Violet/White)
Avital H3/4 Hood Pin Switch Shutdown (Gray) - Jeep Hood Pin Switch

DBALL H14/13 12v (Red) - Jeep Ignition Switch (Red)
DBALL H14/14 Ground (Black) - Ground

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before Saturday!

:tea:

#219 ·
Chris, in a D2D configuration certain connections are not required which saves time. Although you certainly can wire them even if you plan on going with D2D. In fact I was having issues until I started wiring some of them. I think the ones you underlined are worthy.

#220 ·
Excellent. I figured the additional weren't necessary because of D2D but wanted to be sure. Since these don't cause harm, I'll likely wire them up "just 'cuz". Heck 6 of the 9 extra connections listed wire directly between the Avital/DBALL2. I can do that ahead of time while watching TV.

Thanks rep-tile!

:highfive:

#223 ·
Just being thorough! :)

It looks like I'll have time tomorrow to crank this out. I may tinker a little looking for a nice place to tuck the modules and wires out of sight. I hate having a bundle of 'stuff' smashed up under the kick panel.

I'll report back with my results!

#226 ·
Alright fellas, I need some quick help.

I have everything wired up and seems to be working EXCEPT that it won't stay started using the remote start. I can lock and unlock the doors, start it by key, and start it by remote but it keeps shutting off after a second or so when started by remote. The sentry key light is on as well when I use the remote start. This tells me the DBALL isn't learning the key?

I've tried grounding the white wire with a blue stripe but I'm not positive it's doing anything.

Help!!!

#227 ·
I got it! That was a pain...

I must not have been in D2D mode, though I was messing with it a little. Once I had that set, I had to hold the program button on the DBALL while plugging in the 4 harnesses. Solid red light = good. Turned the key to ON, waited a good 10 seconds or so, then saw the DBALL 'learning' and flashing lights. Shazam. Finally works. Now to clean up these wires!

#228 ·
ChrisHager said:
I got it! That was a pain... I must not have been in D2D mode, though I was messing with it a little. Once I had that set, I had to hold the program button on the DBALL while plugging in the 4 harnesses. Solid red light = good. Turned the key to ON, waited a good 10 seconds or so, then saw the DBALL 'learning' and flashing lights. Shazam. Finally works. Now to clean up these wires!
how much did the system cost you?

#229 ·
Now that it's freezing cold, I've decided to jump on the bandwagon. I just purchased the following:

XpressKit DBALL2 Databus All Combo Bypass Module - $47.26
Directed Electronics Inc XKLOADER2 XpressKit - $26.00
Avital 4103LX Remote Start System with Two 4-Button Remote - $41.36

Grand Total: $114.62

Hopefully I'll have time to install this over Thanksgiving weekend. I'll report back with my experience.
The XKLOADER isn't necessary if you take it somewhere to have it programmed. I wanted to have it for ease and can now program for others if needed.

#232 ·
It should work. The Avital has a "diesel wait-to-start bulb input" wire that would need to be connected to the wait-to-start bulb in the dashboard (unless the DB-ALL already takes care of that?). My only concern would be making sure the firmware for the DB-ALL works for diesel versions.

#233 ·
I finally installed mine last night.. took longer than I hoped but it's in. It worked without missing a beat last night in the garage but this AM I tried it and it
doesn't seem to crank long enough to start... yesterday was in a heated garage today was outside. It's about as quick as bumping the key and that's it.

Starts fine with a key...

After I had everything hooked up and working,, I unplugged everything, rerouted the wires, plugged everything back in and it started fine, locks everything.
I did not go back through the "hold the button, plug in the D2D cable..learn the key" Is that what the problem might be?? If you unplug do you have to go back through
the "learning sequence"? Is there a way to extend the crank time?

Thanks for the great writeup.. made it go way smoother!

Appreciate any help

#236 ·
I finally installed mine last night.. took longer than I hoped but it's in. It worked without missing a beat last night in the garage but this AM I tried it and it
doesn't seem to crank long enough to start... yesterday was in a heated garage today was outside. It's about as quick as bumping the key and that's it.

Starts fine with a key...

After I had everything hooked up and working,, I unplugged everything, rerouted the wires, plugged everything back in and it started fine, locks everything.
I did not go back through the "hold the button, plug in the D2D cable..learn the key" Is that what the problem might be?? If you unplug do you have to go back through
the "learning sequence"? Is there a way to extend the crank time?

Thanks for the great writeup.. made it go way smoother!

Appreciate any help
It should crank 'til it starts. You need to set the Avital to Tach threshold ON and have the module learn the tach signal. The module then knows the engine has started when it gets the tach signal from the crank position sensor.

#238 ·
ChrisHager said:
Does the Avital have that? I don't recall seeing it after all the work I recently did. I'll check the wiring diagrams again. Perhaps I overlooked it. I have a ton of pictures I'll post in a day or two of the process I went through. It may help future people's installs.
May be start a new thread. Doing this to my 04 will eliminate the weak key FOB plus add a nice feature. Grammies 04 has remote start but not the brand in this discussion.

#241 ·
Technically, it would not eliminate the key fob per say but render it obsolete. My Jeep keyfobs still function with this setup, only now they're sitting in a box somewhere.

#240 ·
Correction on Diesel wait to start

OK guys my bad, Avital 4103 has a diesel wait to start feature, but it is not wired, it is a preset timer (off/15/30 or 45 sec) to allow diesel start delay.... H2/5 wire has a different purpose on 4103, but it is the correct wire on Avital 4300 which does have the wired feature.

#247 ·
Here's my Write-Up on the entire process. I started a new thread only because of the massive amount of information and pictures I posted.

Avital 4103LX/DBALL2 Installation Write-Up

Thanks again for all the help!

:tea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.