Remote Start & Keyless Entry ... VERY EASY! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remote Start & Keyless Entry ... VERY EASY!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #91
rockyrivermark
2002 WJ 

Did you install the hood pin switch? Vital safety feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiguynyc View Post
Hey guys, I thought I would share with you all my remote start experience on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee....

Total install time... 1.5 hrs

Equipment you will need...
1. Avital 4103 Remote Start & Keyless Entry System D2D compatible $75.
2. Expresskit DBALL Integration / Bypass Module $50.

Before we begin, let me start off by saying, although this is relatively an easy DIY install, if you feel you're not up to the task or do not really know what you're doing, leave it to a pro. The wire colors I have stated are what I used on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and from my research should be the same for all 99-04 Grand Cherokee models, but DOUBLE CHECK all yours to be sure. NEVER just go by what they say the wires are on paper, always TEST THEM to be sure!

Step 1...
A. Remove the plastic panel directly underneath your gauges, by prying it up and out. There are no screws that hold it in place. It simply will pop off.

B. Remove the large panel under your dash (the panel across your knees). It is held in place by a total of 5 screws.

C. Remove the steering wheel column cover. One recessed philips screw hold it together, and then you simply pull the two halves apart.

Now you have access to all the areas of your vehicle where you will need to tap / connect into to install your system.

Step 2...
A. On the DBALL module, connect the PINK (+) ignition input lead coming from harness 10 (there are five harness inputs, labeled 2, 12, 14, 4 and 10) to the YELLOW (+) ignition output of the Avital 4103.

B. Tap the VIOLET / YELLOW J1850 lead coming from harness 14 on the DBALL module to PIN 2 on the Jeeps OBDII diagnostic connector.

C. On the bottom side of the steering column, you will find the key immobilizer module. Cut the wire coming from PIN 3 (DARK BLUE / WHITE) and connect the immobilizer side end to the ORANGE / YELLOW wire coming from harness 14 on the DBALL module, and then connect the car side end to the YELLOW wire coming from harness 14 on the DBALL module.

D. On the left side of the steering column, you will find the headlight switch. Tap both the VIOLET / GREEN and VIOLET / BROWN wires coming from harness 12 on the DBALL module to PIN 11 (YELLOW) on the white headlight switch connector.

E. On the bottom side of the steering column, you will find the ignition switch connector. Tap the two RED 12V high current input wires coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the single RED wire on the ignition switch connector. Tap the PINK ignition output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the DARK BLUE on the ignition switch connector. Tap the VIOLET starter output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the YELLOW on the ignition switch connector. Tap the ORANGE accessory 1 output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the RED / BLACK on the ignition switch connector. Tap the PINK / WHITE ignition 2 output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the BLACK / ORANGE wire on the ignition switch.

F. Connect (or ground) the BLACK / WHITE neutral safety shutdown wire coming from the Avital 4103 unit.

G. Connect (ground) the BLACK ground wire coming from the Avital 4103 unit.

H. Plug in the extended range antenna to the Avital unit. Route and install in an appropriate location.

I. Plug in the valet / programming button to the Avital unit. Route and install in an appropriate location.

That's it for the wiring! You can tie up or cut all the extra unused wires and leads. Now it's time to program the module for D2D mode and finalize the installation.

Step 3...
A. Connect the D2D harness to the Avital unit but NOT to the DBALL module. Now connect harness 10, 12, 14 to the DBALL module. Press and hold the programming button, then connect the 4-pin D2D harness. Wait until the LED turns on ORANGE then release the programming button. The LED should now be RED. D2D connection is now complete!

B. To program the key bypass, insert the key into the ignition barrel and turn it to the ON position. The LED turns on solid GREEN for 3 seconds and the turns off. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key. Bypass is now complete!

And you're done!!! Give yourself a pat on your back!!!

Go ahead and test the system out, and if everything's working as it should, it's time to zip-tie and clean everything up. A good place to secure both the Avital unit and the DBALL module is right behind the fuse panel. It's a tight space, but everything does fit there nicely.

Naturally you can use any remote start / keyless entry system, but one that is D2D compatible (as with the the Avital 4103 and most late model Viper systems), really does simply everything. It eliminates the need to cut, tap and splice a dozen plus more wires.

Good luck and enjoy!

rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #92
rockyrivermark
2002 WJ 

OMG... thank you!!!!great write up but how was that missed. Maybe the older units didn't require this? I was going crazy until I remembered reading about grounding the blue/white wire to set it into D2D mode. This is also in the directions that come with the avital unit. Ground the white/blue wire (just hold the wire to a ground or bolt) , then power up the avital by pluggin in the heavy guage harness. after a few seconds unground the white/blue. now the unit is switched from "Biwrite mode to D2D mode". Otherwise the remote start will just start and shut down after a few seconds due to the security key module.
thanks, Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by busadave View Post
For the guys having troubles with the d2d did you ground the white with blue stripe wire before connecting your power harness on the avital to set the avital into d2d Mode.
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #93
malcolmm16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiguynyc View Post
I almost forgot... My review of the system itself!

The Avital 4103 in conjunction with the DBALL module works flawlessly! Install and programming, as you can see from the above post, was a snap. Everything works as it should, and the range on the unit far exceeds that of the OEM key FOB.

Price wise, I was quoted $350 from local sound / alarm shops and as high as $450 from the "big box" chains to have the same (or similar) system installed.

So for $125 and the 1.5 hrs it took to install and setup it up, I have ZERO complaints!

Hey so I had a quick question that I never saw brought up in here. On the avital website it says that you hold down the aux, lock, start button for 2 seconds and it turns on the defroster. Did that work on yours? I really wanna be able to set it up so when iím up here in Pullman, WA in those semi cold winters I can defrost my rear windows and mirrors before i get in.

Also I saw later that some guys were talking about having to program it with something bought online? But on your write up you never talked about that. Does it only need to be Flashed/programmed with a computer to use certain features? The only features I want is Lock/Unlock/remote start/defrost and maybe an aux function if it can do that.

thanks!
malcolmm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #94
rockyrivermark
2002 WJ 

i installed mine this past saturday 2/23. You will have to attach the H2/5 blue/white to (-) 200mA 2ND STATUS/REAR DEFOGGER OUTPUT. I couldn't find any wiring diagram noting that wire on the jeep and didn't want to take the chance on it so left it out. You need to push lock,start,truck release at the same time to activate it. I tried that thinking the bypass module may control it but no such luck. If anyone knows which wire is the correct one chime in. wiring diagram link below

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...008-07_web.pdf
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #95
jswerve
2001 WJ 

subscribed
jswerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #96
JimmydaGreek

2002 WJ 

Sorry if I missed it by I tried to read through all 7 pages. Does anyone have experience with the AVITAL 5103L that has security along with remote start? Would you still use the DBALL kit or PKALL kit as I've read works with it? A little confused and any help is greatly appreciated.
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #97
jeepmad

First of all let me start off by saying this is a great thread on the avital/dball setup over D2D! Ok now that I have got the good out of the way let me fill you guys in on where I am at. I have bought my Avital 4103 and DBall and flashed it with the firmware for my Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 WJ. Now I have done all the wiring including setting up the Avital into D2D mode bu grounding the white/blue wire and then ungrounding it. I have confirmed I am in D2D mode then when I go to step 3 when I need to program the key transponder to the DBall I get the oragange lights then a continaul red flashing led on the DBall rather than the green or orange led which then turns off. I have also noticed that the avtial lock and unlock does not work too after the programming steps to lock with the OEM fob or door lock button for 30 seconds and unlock. When I click on the avital lock and unlock buttons on the fob I hear a click on the Avital unit however, no lock or unlocking of the doors.

OK some more information that the remote start does work when no key is in the ingnition however the sentry key unit shuts off the car since there is not transponder to send the signal to allow for the motor to run. However, when I put the key in the ignition and have it in the on position and press the remote start button on the avital and the jeep starts and stays on.

Please any help on how to get around this would help. Oh yes I have flashed the dball with both version 1.09 and 1.04 of the Chrysler2 firmware.
jeepmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #98
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmad View Post
First of all let me start off by saying this is a great thread on the avital/dball setup over D2D! Ok now that I have got the good out of the way let me fill you guys in on where I am at. I have bought my Avital 4103 and DBall and flashed it with the firmware for my Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 WJ. Now I have done all the wiring including setting up the Avital into D2D mode bu grounding the white/blue wire and then ungrounding it. I have confirmed I am in D2D mode then when I go to step 3 when I need to program the key transponder to the DBall I get the oragange lights then a continaul red flashing led on the DBall rather than the green or orange led which then turns off. I have also noticed that the avtial lock and unlock does not work too after the programming steps to lock with the OEM fob or door lock button for 30 seconds and unlock. When I click on the avital lock and unlock buttons on the fob I hear a click on the Avital unit however, no lock or unlocking of the doors.

OK some more information that the remote start does work when no key is in the ingnition however the sentry key unit shuts off the car since there is not transponder to send the signal to allow for the motor to run. However, when I put the key in the ignition and have it in the on position and press the remote start button on the avital and the jeep starts and stays on.

Please any help on how to get around this would help. Oh yes I have flashed the dball with both version 1.09 and 1.04 of the Chrysler2 firmware.
Sounds like the DBAll isn't wired correctly. Recheck your wires and make sure they are going to the right places that the directions from Xpresskit say. In particular make sure the ones going to the decoder (little box under the steering column) and the one going to the OBD connector are wired to the right wires/pin.

I actually had something similar happen when I wired mine. I couldn't get it to program no matter what I did. Turned out that what I thought was the pink wire going to the ignition sense was actually a pink and white wire and I had the wrong wire from the DBAll going to the ignition sense so it would never sense the ignition being turned on to do the programming. Once I hooked up the all pink wire everything programmed and I was good to go.
briandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #99
rockyrivermark
2002 WJ 

If I remember right the D2D wiring harnass can fit into two different plugs on the avitial. double check to make sure you are in the correct slot.
RRM
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #100
jeepmad

rockyrivermark. I have double checked the other slot on the avtial 4103 and I think you are referring to sat. 4 pin connector and tested plugging into it an not power is draw from this slot, therefore I am sure the avital end is plugged into the correct slot which is colour coded in red to match one of the ends of the d2d cable.

briandor. While I was in the jeep checking and double checking the wiring it all looks good to me. there is nothing obiovious that stands out. Is there a proven way to diagnose the wiring and issue I am having? I am a pro now at installing and removing the avital and dball units now since I still need the car to get to work. The only harness I leave installed is the large avital harness that goes to the wj ingnition wires.
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #101
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmad View Post
rockyrivermark. I have double checked the other slot on the avtial 4103 and I think you are referring to sat. 4 pin connector and tested plugging into it an not power is draw from this slot, therefore I am sure the avital end is plugged into the correct slot which is colour coded in red to match one of the ends of the d2d cable.

briandor. While I was in the jeep checking and double checking the wiring it all looks good to me. there is nothing obiovious that stands out. Is there a proven way to diagnose the wiring and issue I am having? I am a pro now at installing and removing the avital and dball units now since I still need the car to get to work. The only harness I leave installed is the large avital harness that goes to the wj ingnition wires.
Are you sure it's flashing red? There really isn't a status code listed for flashing red just flashing orange. The DBAll definitely isn't working since it controls all the functions like locking/unlocking and the car would die right after remote start because it couldn't send the key's security code.

To me it sounds like a problem with the OBD connection. Make sure you're on the right pin there. The wire you want is yellow with a purple stripe.
briandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #102
jeepmad

Yes definitely flashing red on dball and the onboard diagnostics cable I am using is purple /yellow on pin 2. I'm going to do a video to show all connections so maybe someone can pick out the error in wiring I'm doing.

Thanks
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #103
jeepmad

Ok all jeep lovers I have got around to putting together a video to show you my wiring of the avital 4103 and dball over d2d mode. Here is the YouTube video:

Last edited by jeepmad; 04-07-2013 at 07:11 PM..
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #104
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome write-up! I'll be doing this when I move back north to those cold winter mornings.
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #105
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Wj

Followed the instructions and installed the Avital 4103 and the DBall today! All went well. Once I got the Avital into D2D mode it was smooth sailing.
dadamets is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.