Remote Start & Keyless Entry ... VERY EASY! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remote Start & Keyless Entry ... VERY EASY!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #31
pushead

I just installed my second remote start on one of my cars. They are super easy to do as stated in these post. Just make sure you solder all your connections and get a good wiring diagram. Bulldog Security has about every diagram you can need on their webpage. You can also purchase a refurbed viper 5301 re for $99.00 if you google them. These are 2 way systems with a ton of features and a three year warranty. I love that I can check my car temp and turn on my rear defroster from a block away. I would recomend getting one of those light probes that tell you if the wire is a (-) or (+). That thing is a life saver. I know yo should use a multi meter but this is way easier.

P.S. I forgot to mention you may want to add a heavy gauge wire from the battery to under the dash with a few pig tails. This will make getting constant power allot easier. I have a 4 gauge wire running to a T-Block for my stero equipment I used for pig tails.

Unread 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #32
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Coming from someone whos pretty experienced in installing remote starts, all the power you would need for a remote start is available through the ignition harness, not sure why you need an extra lead coming from the battery.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #33
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

this looks like a great upgrade and it would probably be worth doing!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
pushead

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Coming from someone whos pretty experienced in installing remote starts, all the power you would need for a remote start is available through the ignition harness, not sure why you need an extra lead coming from the battery.
So your not hacking into existing lines and adding an extra strain on them. I agree it's not needed but if you want to do it properly vs a hack and tap you should. Which is another reason I do my own installs. I would even bet it say's it in every installation book for any security unit.
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
jerrod710
2003 WJ 

Subscribed. To the OP, how does the system you bought and installed compare to the Viper Systems?
jerrod710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #36
pushead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrod710 View Post
Subscribed. To the OP, how does the system you bought and installed compare to the Viper Systems?
Do a google search on them. There are two kinds of remote starters. 2 way and a 1 way. They all can have a few diffrent features.

With a 2 way your remote has more options like providing the inside temperature of the car, a confirmation tone the signal was recieved and activated what you selected and a few other gadgety things.

Viper is just a name brand and the model I suggested is the 5301 Responder LE.
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #37
jerrod710
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushead

Do a google search on them. There are two kinds of remote starters. 2 way and a 1 way. They all can have a few diffrent features.

With a 2 way your remote has more options like providing the inside temperature of the car, a confirmation tone the signal was recieved and activated what you selected and a few other gadgety things.

Viper is just a name brand and the model I suggested is the 5301 Responder LE.
Will do. Thanks.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #38
tjlmbklr
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiguynyc View Post
I almost forgot... My review of the system itself!

The Avital 4103 in conjunction with the DBALL module works flawlessly! Install and programming, as you can see from the above post, was a snap. Everything works as it should, and the range on the unit far exceeds that of the OEM key FOB.

Price wise, I was quoted $350 from local sound / alarm shops and as high as $450 from the "big box" chains to have the same (or similar) system installed.

So for $125 and the 1.5 hrs it took to install and setup it up, I have ZERO complaints!
What would you say the range is? I read a review on Amazon that said he can't even start his from 20' standing on his porch.
tjlmbklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #39
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My Magnavox system, based on Avital, does way better than 20 feet. The video speaks for itself.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #40
jerrod710
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86
My Magnavox system, based on Avital, does way better than 20 feet. The video speaks for itself.
Video Link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz8ArMPTVoc
Where was the vehicle?
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #41
ducatiguynyc
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmbklr View Post
What would you say the range is? I read a review on Amazon that said he can't even start his from 20' standing on his porch.
If the guy on Amazon can't start his from 20', then he probably didn't hook up the included antenna, or if he did, it's possible the line got pinched, cut, or he's got a bad antenna module.

I can't put a exact number range in terms of how far the system works from, as it will vary from location to location, but I myself have started my car from inside my office (brick, 2 story building) with the car parked at minimum 200+ feet away, maybe even further.
ducatiguynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #42
nor7cal7
2004 WJ 

I got a couple questions to the original poster. So I changed out my passenger door window/lock control module because mine was shot. I got a used one out of a freedom edition. I never gr my comp reprogrammed so my key fobs would work because the dealer wants like 90 bucks. I figured that I would just do this install instead. These combined units bypass that passenger door module correct? So my lock unlock will run out of the new avitol system not the factory door module. So I don't need to get my door module reprogrammed by the dealer?
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #43
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiguynyc View Post
Hey guys, I thought I would share with you all my remote start experience on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee....

Total install time... 1.5 hrs

Good luck and enjoy!
Thank you so much for this write up. I ordered the Avital 4103lxl, xpresskit dball, and Xkloader2 off amazon. Took me a few hours to go over and double check the connections with the models I got and my 99 grand Cherokee but everything checked out and during the install I just followed your steps exactly. Awesome write up for the forum!
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #44
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushead
I just installed my second remote start on one of my cars. They are super easy to do as stated in these post. Just make sure you solder all your connections and get a good wiring diagram. Bulldog Security has about every diagram you can need on their webpage. You can also purchase a refurbed viper 5301 re for $99.00 if you google them. These are 2 way systems with a ton of features and a three year warranty. I love that I can check my car temp and turn on my rear defroster from a block away. I would recomend getting one of those light probes that tell you if the wire is a (-) or (+). That thing is a life saver. I know yo should use a multi meter but this is way easier.

P.S. I forgot to mention you may want to add a heavy gauge wire from the battery to under the dash with a few pig tails. This will make getting constant power allot easier. I have a 4 gauge wire running to a T-Block for my stero equipment I used for pig tails.
Hi man, i am about to install a Viper remote start, but i am a bit unsure where to trigger the rear defogger relay, can you pls tell me how you hooked up this feature. Did you tap into black/white wire going from JB to rear defogger or into 86 at rear defogger relay, i got different soluttions recomended,(from Ppl that didnt wire that feature) but i want to be sure, THANKS.
image-619527349.jpg   image-2565599792.jpg  
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #45
multmigs
2003 WJ 

has anyone installed one of these systems and used their factory key left inside the dash area to defeat the programmed key necessity? There are numerous threads where people do that to avoid having to pay for the dealer cost of programming keys as well as the much lower cost of standard key blanks? I realize that this move is not good if you are concerned about security.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.