Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Remote Start & Keyless Entry ... VERY EASY!

186K views 336 replies 95 participants last post by  three_jeeps 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I thought I would share with you all my remote start experience on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee....

Total install time... 1.5 hrs

Equipment you will need...
1. Avital 4103 Remote Start & Keyless Entry System D2D compatible $75.
2. Expresskit DBALL Integration / Bypass Module $50.

Before we begin, let me start off by saying, although this is relatively an easy DIY install, if you feel you're not up to the task or do not really know what you're doing, leave it to a pro. The wire colors I have stated are what I used on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and from my research should be the same for all 99-04 Grand Cherokee models, but DOUBLE CHECK all yours to be sure. NEVER just go by what they say the wires are on paper, always TEST THEM to be sure!

Step 1...
A. Remove the plastic panel directly underneath your gauges, by prying it up and out. There are no screws that hold it in place. It simply will pop off.

B. Remove the large panel under your dash (the panel across your knees). It is held in place by a total of 5 screws.

C. Remove the steering wheel column cover. One recessed philips screw hold it together, and then you simply pull the two halves apart.

Now you have access to all the areas of your vehicle where you will need to tap / connect into to install your system.

Step 2...
A. On the DBALL module, connect the PINK (+) ignition input lead coming from harness 10 (there are five harness inputs, labeled 2, 12, 14, 4 and 10) to the YELLOW (+) ignition output of the Avital 4103.

B. Tap the VIOLET / YELLOW J1850 lead coming from harness 14 on the DBALL module to PIN 2 on the Jeeps OBDII diagnostic connector.

C. On the bottom side of the steering column, you will find the key immobilizer module. Cut the wire coming from PIN 3 (DARK BLUE / WHITE) and connect the immobilizer side end to the ORANGE / YELLOW wire coming from harness 14 on the DBALL module, and then connect the car side end to the YELLOW wire coming from harness 14 on the DBALL module.

D. On the left side of the steering column, you will find the headlight switch. Tap both the VIOLET / GREEN and VIOLET / BROWN wires coming from harness 12 on the DBALL module to PIN 11 (YELLOW) on the white headlight switch connector.

E. On the bottom side of the steering column, you will find the ignition switch connector. Tap the two RED 12V high current input wires coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the single RED wire on the ignition switch connector. Tap the PINK ignition output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the DARK BLUE on the ignition switch connector. Tap the VIOLET starter output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the YELLOW on the ignition switch connector. Tap the ORANGE accessory 1 output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the RED / BLACK on the ignition switch connector. Tap the PINK / WHITE ignition 2 output wire coming from "large gauge starting harness" on the Avital unit to the BLACK / ORANGE wire on the ignition switch.

F. Connect (or ground) the BLACK / WHITE neutral safety shutdown wire coming from the Avital 4103 unit.

G. Connect (ground) the BLACK ground wire coming from the Avital 4103 unit.

H. Plug in the extended range antenna to the Avital unit. Route and install in an appropriate location.

I. Plug in the valet / programming button to the Avital unit. Route and install in an appropriate location.

That's it for the wiring! You can tie up or cut all the extra unused wires and leads. Now it's time to program the module for D2D mode and finalize the installation.

Step 3...
A. Connect the D2D harness to the Avital unit but NOT to the DBALL module. Now connect harness 10, 12, 14 to the DBALL module. Press and hold the programming button, then connect the 4-pin D2D harness. Wait until the LED turns on ORANGE then release the programming button. The LED should now be RED. D2D connection is now complete!

B. To program the key bypass, insert the key into the ignition barrel and turn it to the ON position. The LED turns on solid GREEN for 3 seconds and the turns off. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key. Bypass is now complete!

And you're done!!! Give yourself a pat on your back!!!

Go ahead and test the system out, and if everything's working as it should, it's time to zip-tie and clean everything up. A good place to secure both the Avital unit and the DBALL module is right behind the fuse panel. It's a tight space, but everything does fit there nicely.

Naturally you can use any remote start / keyless entry system, but one that is D2D compatible (as with the the Avital 4103 and most late model Viper systems), really does simply everything. It eliminates the need to cut, tap and splice a dozen plus more wires.

Good luck and enjoy!
:2thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
I almost forgot... My review of the system itself!

The Avital 4103 in conjunction with the DBALL module works flawlessly! Install and programming, as you can see from the above post, was a snap. Everything works as it should, and the range on the unit far exceeds that of the OEM key FOB.

Price wise, I was quoted $350 from local sound / alarm shops and as high as $450 from the "big box" chains to have the same (or similar) system installed.

So for $125 and the 1.5 hrs it took to install and setup it up, I have ZERO complaints!

#38 ·
I almost forgot... My review of the system itself!

The Avital 4103 in conjunction with the DBALL module works flawlessly! Install and programming, as you can see from the above post, was a snap. Everything works as it should, and the range on the unit far exceeds that of the OEM key FOB.

Price wise, I was quoted $350 from local sound / alarm shops and as high as $450 from the "big box" chains to have the same (or similar) system installed.

So for $125 and the 1.5 hrs it took to install and setup it up, I have ZERO complaints!
What would you say the range is? I read a review on Amazon that said he can't even start his from 20' standing on his porch.

#5 ·
any pics at all to simplify this?

Also, do you have any links to where you bought the 2 items?

Thanks and great write up!!

#7 ·
Thanks for the positive responses!

Although I picked up the Avital 4103 system and Expresskit DBALL module from a local car audio shop, both units can readily be purchased through a number of online retailers such as Amazon, eBay, etc...

One place in particular that I can recommend (I've purchased from in the past) for both price and service is sonicelectronix.com

They actually have both units in stock (as of this posts time and date) for $109.98 with FREE shipping!

And yes, the system allows you to start / stop the engine and lock / unlock the vehicle. The Avital key FOB's also work at a far greater distance than that of the OEM key FOB's. I don't have an exact distance to report, but if I said they worked at 2-3x greater the distance of the OEM key FOB's I wouldn't be exaggerating. With that said, you do have to replace the OEM key FOB's with those supplied with the Avital system (you get two with the kit). The Avital key FOB's also allow you to retain full panic feature, found on the OEM key FOB by holding down the lock button.

If you do not want to swap out your OEM key FOB's (and are OK with their limited operating range), you can opt to purchase the Avital 4003 system, which does not include any key FOB's. The Avital 4003 allows you to remotely start your vehicle using your OEM key FOB's. You do so by hitting the lock button 3 times.

The 4003 is also D2D compatible, which means it too easily integrates with the Expresskit module and shaves off hours from the install.

Just to give you a better idea on how much D2D helps with the whole install, with a D2D compatible system, you usually only have to tap/cut 8-12 wires (for a typical remote start / keyless entry system), which are usually all directly underneath the dash. With a non-D2D compatible system you'll have anywhere from 22-28 wires to work with, and they could be all over the place, under the dash, inside the doors, under the hood.

More wires in more locations = more time installing, and more to hide...

I did snap a few pics during the install. I will post them in a bit...

#8 ·
Well done, I can see you and I would get along well, this stuff is right down my alley. Good solid information interesting how your bypass unit works mine has an external antenna ring that goes around the key cylinder and upon trigger from the remote start module it transmits a signal just like the sentry key normally would have. For anyone wondering his wiring colors are the same as the ones on my 01 and are supposed to be the same 99-04, but of course double check every wire before you tap it!

#9 ·
I've seen and read about the bypass units that utilize rings, as well as units that actually house a spare key within them, but what I loved about the DBALL module was it's simplistic and technologically advanced approach to bypassing the key sentry unit.

I'm no electrical engineer, or rocket scientist but what I can gather is that it stores, replicates and then transmits (via the single wire splice performed during the install) the keys unique chip frequency to the immobilizer to fool it into thinking the keys in the ignition during a remote start.

Attachments

#10 ·
Nice write up. I have 2 friends who do this kinda thing professionally for their jobs and I think I might use your write up to install my own and surprise them... and then give them the finger ;)

#11 ·
Funny you mention "professionals"...

When I was shopping around for a remote start / keyless entry system, I asked around to see which system would be the easiest to work with and I remember this one "pro" (claiming to have been in the biz for over 15 years) telling me that a remote starter in an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee was one of the MOST difficult to install of all cars, even a Lambo... Yes he really did compare the Jeep to a Lambo.

He said that it would take at minimum 3-4+ hours to wire up the electronics and the component costs alone were north of $300. Now I knew the prices he was quoting was more on the retail end of the spectrum, but the last thing I wanted to do is spend the 3-4+ hours wiring up my Jeep. It scared me a bit, but after doing some research online and speaking with others who had systems installed in their Jeeps, I quickly realized it wasn't as hard or time consuming as some of these "pro's" were saying it was.

I kind of feel as if they were saying that it was hard to install to discourage the DIY'ers (like myself) from giving it a go....

If you have basic automotive electrical knowledge, and can follow simple wiring diagrams (tap, cut, splice, connect), you CAN install this kit!

I say go for it!

#79 ·
Funny you mention "professionals"...

When I was shopping around for a remote start / keyless entry system, I asked around to see which system would be the easiest to work with and I remember this one "pro" (claiming to have been in the biz for over 15 years) telling me that a remote starter in an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee was one of the MOST difficult to install of all cars, even a Lambo... Yes he really did compare the Jeep to a Lambo.

He said that it would take at minimum 3-4+ hours to wire up the electronics and the component costs alone were north of $300. Now I knew the prices he was quoting was more on the retail end of the spectrum, but the last thing I wanted to do is spend the 3-4+ hours wiring up my Jeep. It scared me a bit, but after doing some research online and speaking with others who had systems installed in their Jeeps, I quickly realized it wasn't as hard or time consuming as some of these "pro's" were saying it was.

I kind of feel as if they were saying that it was hard to install to discourage the DIY'ers (like myself) from giving it a go....

If you have basic automotive electrical knowledge, and can follow simple wiring diagrams (tap, cut, splice, connect), you CAN install this kit!

I say go for it!
Actually, believe it or not, he wasn't exactly lying to you. What the OP has posted is a fairly new system. All these independent alarm shops have a specific brand they try to shove down your throat, and to make those specific brands work with a Jeep can be very expensive (I got quoted $600 for a compustar install lol)

#14 ·
:D I have no affiliation with Avital, the retailers I have mentioned, or anyway associated with the car audio / security industry. In fact, this was the first time I had installed and setup such equipment.

After seeing first hand how easy and "do-able" everything was, I figured I would share my experience with others that may be interested in such a system.

I hope my post gives those who are on the fence on installing a remote start system in their WJ, the courage and knowledge to go out and get it done! :thumbsup:

#224 ·
I have no affiliation with Avital, the retailers I have mentioned, or anyway associated with the car audio / security industry. In fact, this was the first time I had installed and setup such equipment.
Sure you think it's simple: your other ride's a Ducati! :laugh:

Seriously though, that's a great write-up, and you've just convinced me to do what I've been putting off for several years.
Thanks.

#17 ·
robby65 said:
This looks promising but
What about the factory alarm?
Is there anything I have to disconnect??
Id love to have the remote start for these cold mornings.
Bypass should automatically disable it through the bus before starting the jeep and then if you cancel the remote start it should shut down jeep and rearm alarm

#19 ·
The DBALL module does in fact have a provision to incorporate the OEM alarm into the remote start / keyless entry setup. If you have an OEM alarm, you do have one extra step...

You have to ground PIN 6 of harness 10 on the DBALL unit.

That's it! Nothing else to connect, or disconnect. Your OEM alarm will now be an intricall part of your remote start / keyless entry system!

#20 ·
Did you have to get jeep specific software loaded on to the DBALL in order to have it work? Or does it just cover many vehicles out of the box? Thats the only question i haven't been able to answer for myself about that module.

#22 ·
The DBALL module does require vehicle specific firmware. Usually the retailer you purchase your module from, will flash it for your specific application, but if they don't, you will have to do it yourself or get it done.

The vehicle specific firmware is available from their website, and in order to get it on to your module, you will need a special USB interface called an xkloader2. The xkloader2 sells for around $30-$35.

Most shops that work or install such modules, will in fact have an xkloader2 on hand, so if you receive a module that has not been preprogrammed, or want to purchase an xkloader2, you can always have a local shop flash your module for you. I really couldn't see them charging you anything for such a quick and easy service, but if they did, it couldn't be more then $5-$10.

#23 ·
Ducati, did you purchase from sonicelectronix.com?

If so, did they pre-program it for you?

If you didn't buy from them, can you let us know where you got it and if they pre-programmed it for you?

Thanks.

#24 ·
As I had mentioned, I purchased my module from Avenue Sound, a local car audio shop here on Long Island, NY. They had my unit flashed with the appropriate firmware in under 2 minutes.

I'm not sure if the folks over at Sonic can flash the unit prior shipping it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them. If they can't, I'm certain you could have it done at most any local car audio shop in your neck of the woods. From what I have gathered, almost everyone's using these modules in car alarm, remote start, and keyless entry systems, so finding someone who has an xkloader2 on hand shouldn't be a difficult or costly task.

#26 ·
This is fantastic. Once i finish fixing my DW i will be doing this. One thing at a time! Fantastic right up, great pictures. Overall well done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.