Remote Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Remote Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
Im_Jeeprah
2004 WJ 

Remote Replacement

Hi all!

I am proud to say that as of this weekend I am now a part of the Grand Cherokee family. I am already in love with my 2004 4.0L blue Limited. When I bought the car from the dealership, the key did not come with a remote to lock/unlock the car. I'm looking to replace the remote and program it myself but am only finding expensive options that sometimes need to be programmed by a Chrysler/Jeep dealership.

Any ideas where I can find a self-programmable remote on the cheap?

Thanks!

Im_Jeeprah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Capt_Howdy

A self-programmable remote will not help you as the remote does not get programmed, but rather the Jeep is programmed to the remote.
Capt_Howdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Im_Jeeprah
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Howdy View Post
A self-programmable remote will not help you as the remote does not get programmed, but rather the Jeep is programmed to the remote.

so the process is fairly easy/inexpensive/can be done myself?
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

nah, there's a special unit at the dealer that gets connected to the Jeep, then you have to follow this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds6_jIIBPT8

I also seen this process in several places but doesn't seem reliable
http://www.ehow.com/how_5019251_prog...ntry-jeep.html

Mine only came with one key and remote. I want to have two sets and maybe get the memory seats etc working. I'm wanting to get everything back to OEM lol

Check out http://www.keylessride.com/
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
losttech

2000 WJ 

You really need to buy the FOB unit at the dealer I have had issues with generic/ebay ones not working.
I have bought keys online and had the dealer program them and that was OK but the remotes seem tricky and yes there expensive 130$ is what I think I paid for mine but its a one time thing.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
Capt_Howdy

I find it fairly easy and I can do it myself. Expensive or inexpensive this is a matter of opinion and will differ from person to person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Jeeprah View Post
so the process is fairly easy/inexpensive/can be done myself?
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Tailspin57
1999 WJ 

Quote:
I find it fairly easy and I can do it myself.
Please post - step by step – how you did this yourself … help us out.
Tailspin57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
Im_Jeeprah
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I find it fairly easy and I can do it myself. Expensive or inexpensive this is a matter of opinion and will differ from person to person.
show us your ways
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Are you sure you are not getting keys confused with fobs? Keys can be done yourself as long as you already have two. Fobs need the drb3 and so can only be done at the dealer or someone with the right kit......but I would love to be proven wrong so I could do it myself should the need arise!
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Im_Jeeprah
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Are you sure you are not getting keys confused with fobs? Keys can be done yourself as long as you already have two. Fobs need the drb3 and so can only be done at the dealer or someone with the right kit......but I would love to be proven wrong so I could do it myself should the need arise!
yeah I think I mean the fob. To be clear, I have a key but not one of these:

Unread 08-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Speaking of, is it easy to get a new key coded to the Jeep without already having the original? I want actual Jeep/Chrysler Key not something off ebay.

Someone suggested in another thread to zip-tie the transponder key to the transponder unit in the dash and just use any cut key I want.
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
losttech

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSilvia View Post
Speaking of, is it easy to get a new key coded to the Jeep without already having the original? I want actual Jeep/Chrysler Key not something off ebay.

Someone suggested in another thread to zip-tie the transponder key to the transponder unit in the dash and just use any cut key I want.
While I think you could do that it sure isn't the best way to do it.

I have bought these keys and they do work and much cheaper then dealer.
https://ikeyless.com/
I then took them to the dealer and they charged me 30$ bucks I think it was to cut and program them but I did buy a new FOB from them so they may have lowered the price.

I know most walmarts have programmers now for the newer keys so there a chance to get it done there cheap.
call around to locksmiths some have the stuff to do it and are reasonable some are not.

But your rig your rules
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Capt_Howdy

Someone has already posted my video, not sure how it will help you but here you go. This is how to program a remote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds6_jIIBPT8

Way too many too many assumptions are being made. In a world where nothing is equal what is easy for one person may not even be possible for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailspin57 View Post
Please post - step by step – how you did this yourself … help us out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.