red cable on alternator always hot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > red cable on alternator always hot

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
AliAbed
2004 WJ 

Wj red cable on alternator always hot

Hi guys what is the problem that make the red thick cable on the alternator always hot

AliAbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Are you pulling a lot of power? Subwoofer? Auxiliary lights? Big audio set up? Is your battery holding a charge well?
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
MadderThanMax

Bad Earth Mate!! Check all earths including starter..Heat in the cable = resistance or load.
MadderThanMax is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
AliAbed
2004 WJ 

Thanks guys, Its just a stock jeep with original equipments, No big loads,I buy a new battery and the alternator charge very well.where are the main earths cable locate.can bad rectifier make heat in the cable.

Last edited by AliAbed; 01-25-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
AliAbed
2004 WJ 

where are the main earths cable locate.can bad rectifier make heat in the cable.
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax
Bad Earth Mate!! Check all earths including starter..Heat in the cable = resistance or load.
^^^X2 check all your grounds and main power wire conections.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
MadderThanMax

Wj

Yer Vote of Confidence is appreciated Lols!
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
MadderThanMax

Best way to check bad earth is to follow the earth cable from the negative side of the battery down.

IMHO ONLY earth cable is either BLACK or BROWN pending on manufacturer.. so for instance on the starter there will be a red (Live OR + )and in general the opposite is BLACK/BROWN on the opposite terminal.

Re reading your post, clean the terminals on the alternator and re tighten and advise.

A photo may also help..
Unread 01-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
AliAbed
2004 WJ 

Thank you all
Unread 01-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
MadderThanMax

Yer welcome, that's what we come here for...
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
AliAbed
2004 WJ 

thank you a lot my friend i will swap and change this wire soon,IF I had a bad ground strap wire could this poor connection lead some sensors to work bad like knock sensor with code p0325
Unread 01-27-2014, 01:27 AM   #12
MadderThanMax

It's possible yes..it can knock a lot of things out.. I had a car that had a bad MAF (Mass Air Flow Meter) once was looking at a 500+ repair bill.. was told that it needed various parts including MAF. So I traded it for another.. afew weeks later there's my car gleaming on the forecourt. I asked the mechanic what was wrong.. changed out everything, coil packs, sensors, MAF, Lamba Probes (O2 Sensor) the lot, causing a lot of chaos & confusion ..his mate came over for a look and ask what was a wire that was supposed to be attached to the chassis leg doing hanging?? One new earth cable later and car was as good as new so I'm told..old one had corroded through.. So Yes, in effect it could..
Unread 01-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #13
Matrixxxx
2001 WJ 

The heat is caused by current flow, i would have thought if you have a bad earth it would limit the flow of current and some things wouldn't work (ohms law- increase in resistance lowers the current at a fixed voltage). the charge alternator is capable of putting out a lot of current , you need to put a clamp amp meter on the cable and see how much current is flowing. it may be normal. when you say hot, how hot , power cables are usually ok up to 80 degC then the insulation starts to melt.
Matrixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #14
AliAbed
2004 WJ 

Thanks Matrixx its burn and melt only the black cap on the alternator
v8ho2.jpg

Unread 01-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

Just to appease my curiousity, the next time you feel the hot red cable at the alternator, can you also feel the red and black cables at the battery side?
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.