Recovery D-rings in place of WJ tow hooks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Recovery D-rings in place of WJ tow hooks?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
oof_da
2004 WJ 

Recovery D-rings in place of WJ tow hooks?

I DID search, but didn't find a mention of a recovery D-ring that would bolt in place of the front tow hooks on my '04 Overland. I'm glad they're there, but just looking at them, I don't like the fact that they're open to allow a slack cable or rope to drop off.

Does anyone make a D-ring that will bolt in place? Lot's of D-rings out there, but any I've found are just the ring and pin, not any lug portion.

oof_da is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
kaestacrunch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oof_da
I DID search, but didn't find a mention of a recovery D-ring that would bolt in place of the front tow hooks on my '04 Overland. I'm glad they're there, but just looking at them, I don't like the fact that they're open to allow a slack cable or rope to drop off.

Does anyone make a D-ring that will bolt in place? Lot's of D-rings out there, but any I've found are just the ring and pin, not any lug portion.
Fawkes Fabrication makes great quality stuff. Saguaro (I believe that's the name?) makes a similar product, but I haven't used them, so I can't say.
kaestacrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oof_da View Post

Three options, I took of my Overland hooks and used a variation of the third option, actually a hole drilled through my winch mounting plate for a shackle.

1. There are bolt on and weld on D-rings available at about any rigging company. The problem is for some reason Jeep drilled the two OEM mounting bolt hole side by side instead of length wise to the Jeep like they should have been. So to have a D ring mounted work wise you either have to drill new holes or better yet weld it on. http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratche...-Mounting-Ring

2. You can make a strap retainer clip for your oem hooks like in this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...clips-1455009/

3. Or make a replacement out of 3/8" or 1/2" flat bar like in the picture, the pictured one is on a different brand 4X4.

Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Olese
2000 WJ 

Saguaro use to make really nice ones, I have them on my WJ but they were bought out or something by a company called Alpine something. I looked around and couldn't find their website, they may have gone under but they took over Saguaro and then made the much thinner, not as beefy as Saguaro.
The pic at the top are the Saguaro's on my WJ and the bottom pic are the Alpine's.
d-ring.jpg

d-ring2.jpg

Olese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

New and in-stock: WJ shackle tabs for $125
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I have these and absolutely love them. I would recommend them to anyone. I've used them to winch on and no problems at all!!
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

Aspen Creek (the company that bought out Saguaro) appears to have gone under, so it looks like we now stand alone (pun intended) in the WJ shackle-tab department.

Click to order:
WJ Stand-Alone Shackle Tabs.
WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Kits.

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com
Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Advertise that stuff! Now's an awesome time to make a few bucks. Christmas sale?
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
fast540
1999 WJ 

I keep a roll of black vinyl tape in the jeep and just puta couple wraps around the strap and hook to keep it from slipping off
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
texlurch
2002 WJ 

And they make great front rock sliders too!!!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
And they make great front rock sliders too!!!

While they're meant for pulling, I guess they can take a bump or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Advertise that stuff! Now's an awesome time to make a few bucks. Christmas sale?
There are threads up in the vendor display forum, but I hate spamming them to keep them up on the first page. As far as "sales" I wish I could afford to discount anything. As it is, prices will be going up in 2014.

Click to order:
WJ Stand-Alone Shackle Tabs.
WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Kits.

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com
Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

I would be in the fawking club, but found some overland hooks a week before I found out about you Kris. They are way better than the upside down hooks lol.
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I bought hooks before Fawkes was making these. I wish I had the front receiver with the D-ring mounts! If only I had waited! :-)
Unread 12-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Not to talk down the shackles at all (trust me, I've thought about getting them time and time again cause I like them so much, hah), but I have a simple solution to your straps falling off the hooks issue. I was getting similarly frustrated and actually ripped an eye end of a strap because it halfway-fell off the hook and the hook went right through it. I always have a couple of those produce rubber bands (the ones that hold broccoli heads together at the supermarket) in my WJ. Before you put a strap on the hooks, just take one of the rubber bands and put it higher up on the hook and then when you put the strap on, just pull the rubber band over the strap enough to hold it on. This certainly won't completely stop it from falling off in all cases, but it has often been just enough for mine not to fall off after letting go of it.

If you have a larger rubber band, you can actually pull it out more and twist it and then put it on the hook under the strap as well, tying the strap down to the hook. (If that makes any sense)
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
fast540
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename
Not to talk down the shackles at all (trust me, I've thought about getting them time and time again cause I like them so much, hah), but I have a simple solution to your straps falling off the hooks issue. I was getting similarly frustrated and actually ripped an eye end of a strap because it halfway-fell off the hook and the hook went right through it. I always have a couple of those produce rubber bands (the ones that hold broccoli heads together at the supermarket) in my WJ. Before you put a strap on the hooks, just take one of the rubber bands and put it higher up on the hook and then when you put the strap on, just pull the rubber band over the strap enough to hold it on. This certainly won't completely stop it from falling off in all cases, but it has often been just enough for mine not to fall off after letting go of it. If you have a larger rubber band, you can actually pull it out more and twist it and then put it on the hook under the strap as well, tying the strap down to the hook. (If that makes any sense)
thats a great idea I've been used vinyl tape to do the same thing
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.