Recirc Door Failure/Creak/Groan code 20/52 **REPAIR** - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Recirc Door Failure/Creak/Groan code 20/52 **REPAIR**

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Wj Recirc Door Failure/Creak/Groan code 20/52 **REPAIR**

This won't work for all of you, but if your drive actuator cup has split and is spinning on the axle shaft, this is a relatively easy fix to regain functionality of your recirc door.
Before this I tried zip ties and crazy glue. The glue actually held for a while, but ultimately broke loose. It was a ***** to get the glue up there too!
I finally got something to hold though. I used a drill bit extension, electric drill, 5/64" drill bit and a spring type split pin (cotter pin).
I removed the glove box door (had to take it off altogether to get the drill in).
The small drill bit mounts way off center in the drill extension, but it will get the job done if you drill slow. I started the hole by hand.
Drill the small hole through the actuator drive assembly, you can just see it to the left of the recirc door.
Use a needle nose plier to insert the cotter pin.
Done.
-Make sure you match the bit size to the cotter pin you're going to use.
-Try not to drill near the existing split (recal system and see where it ends up if the split is facing you)
-Be mindful that if the system recalibrates while you're doing the job, or between when the hole is done and when you insert the pin it will screw you up.
I know that many of the failures are of the door itself or the axle, but the drive cup splitting is pretty common so hopefully this helps someone!
I can post pics of the repair and the tools I used if there's any interest.

"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
jcool1985

Wj

Yes mine has cracked on the actuator drive and is creaking. Could a small screw be used instead of the cotter pin. Seems like a screw would be more secure and easier to install. Could you post pics? Thanks
jcool1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

All pics here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10486...081?banner=pwa
I was actually looking for a screw when I came across that pin and I thought I'd give it a try. I think a screw would be fine as long as it was sized properly and didn't split things even worse. The other trick with a screw would be getting it up in there and turning it, it's a very tight fit. I'm actually really glad I found that pin, push it in and done.
You can see a black band around my actuator, that's just a tie strap from a previous repair attempt. I don't even want to talk about how long that took me to get in place. Grrrr.
Pics are hard to see, but once you are looking at it on your jeep they should make sense. Not having the recirc working was a PITA, I had it blocked to the fresh air setting but makes cooling off/warming up take a lot longer.

"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.