Recirc Door Actuator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Recirc Door Actuator

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
bluwtr49
2003 WJ 

Recirc Door Actuator

I think I have a bad actuator on the recirc door and wonder if it can be R&R'd without pulling the dash.

When I bought the Overland a month ago I was carefull to check the bled door operation and all was fine. I checked the recirc function by pushing the button but never really paid attention to if the door was actually changing positions.

Later I found the recirc door was stuck about midway but by giving it a nudge seemed solid so I did a calibration and it closed just fine. Further checking found that it would not move when commended by the control.

I also have noted that when shutting the car off, there is a groaning/ratcheting noise that occurs about a minute or so later. This noise seem to be directly behind the glove box which leads me to believe the actuator is trying to operate the door but is slipping.

Last, I do get a code 52 when doing the diagnostics.

Do the above symptoms appear consistent with an actuator that has failed??

Thanks for any input

Unread 12-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Check this
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...sound-1901010/
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Or this
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...p-azc-1809721/
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Or this
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...codes-1376418/
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Catching my drift here? Took me 5 minutes on my phone.
Unread 12-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
bluwtr49
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ View Post
Catching my drift here? Took me 5 minutes on my phone.
Yeh, I got the drift. Already had seen those but not as much help as I was hoping just some oblique info.
Unread 12-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

no chance FIXING the recirc door BACK TO original function. without pulling the dash.

There are ways to "band-aid" it with the blen-dor store product, but it wont work like OEM, it will only lock it into one position.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
bluwtr49
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
no chance FIXING the recirc door BACK TO original function. without pulling the dash.

There are ways to "band-aid" it with the blen-dor store product, but it wont work like OEM, it will only lock it into one position.
Hmmm, not what I wanted to hear. Since the door isn't loose and is solidly in the "outside air" position I was hoping that is was an actuator problem. Oh well, if that's what it takes to fix it, reckon I need to take it in and have it taken care of.

If they have to pull the dash and all, I suppose I might as well have them but new upgraded parts in the blend doors as well. Spending money in one thing, spending it twice is something else.

I would like to think that by now Jeep has upgraded the parts so there will not be a repeat performance in the near term.
Unread 12-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Pull the dash yourself... you will be charged $1100 in labor (it books about 10 hours to do it)

There is a great video on youTube and plenty of directions on the net.

Do the the heater core while you are in there also.
Unread 12-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwtr49 View Post

I would like to think that by now Jeep has upgraded the parts so there will not be a repeat performance in the near term.
Not likely, they most likely would not spend money to address an old product. Supply parts for, yes, but not R&D new parts to address "issues" that only showed up outside of warranty..
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
bluwtr49
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the info. I may put of the repairs for awhile since the recirc door doesn't seem to be causing any problems functionally. Until the weather gets really hot the not shifting from outside air to inside air is more of a nuisance than a hindrance.

Thanks to the advice on this forum, my lack of airflow has been fixed by reversing the blower wires. Checked everything again yesterday and, except for no recirc air, it works like a champ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.