Recent 02 WJ 4.7 HO Purchase, couple questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Recent 02 WJ 4.7 HO Purchase, couple questions

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Phil_Dunphy

Recent 02 WJ 4.7 HO Purchase, couple questions

Loving it so far, such a great vehicle for daily driving and messing around town in. This one has 85k miles and is a 2002 w/ the HO 4.7. It currently has two problems I am pretty confused about as I've searched around.

1. CEL due to 2 EVAP codes, one is for a small leak, one for large. I looked several times for vacuum hoses that looked cracked or completely off and could not find anything wrong. I went ahead and changed gas caps and it did not help anything. I went to change out the PCV valve just for the hell of it and although it's an 02 I had the older style/short PCV Valve (http://www.wjjeeps.com/pcv_wj.jpg). Kind of puzzling, seems odd that it would need a new canister if thats it, but who knows? Getting 13.5 MPG around town and peaking at 18.1 on the highway. May be worse than normal due to this.

2. Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System...I clear the code every time I start it. There are no tires reading high or low pressure and readings are consistent among all 4. This is the lesser concern of the 2 problems but would still like some kind of an idea?

Unread 06-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

I could be wrong but I didn't think the TPMS was available until 03?
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
cde02ltd

Available in 2002. May have the five tire system. Our 02 with the 4,7 h.o. does.
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Pibe_tuerca
2004 WJ 

I have a 04 with the TPMS with the same problem and the sensor last 9 years. If you check that the four tires are ok (check in www.wjjeeps.com how to do it) it is the spare, change the sensor and thats it. Good luck!
Pibe_tuerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Phil_Dunphy

Thanks guys. Any idea on the EVAP CEL?
Unread 06-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
insjim
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Dunphy View Post
Thanks guys. Any idea on the EVAP CEL?
My wife regularly does not click the gas cap when tightening and it makes my evap code pop, after tightening it it takes her jeep several starts before it clears....just maybe the cap you replaced will work after a few start ups.
insjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Phil_Dunphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by insjim View Post
My wife regularly does not click the gas cap when tightening and it makes my evap code pop, after tightening it it takes her jeep several starts before it clears....just maybe the cap you replaced will work after a few start ups.
It was a few tanks ago and already re-set ECU by removing negative battery terminal though.
Unread 06-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I had a tire shop replace my TPS in each tire, so it came down to my deduction that the EVIC was not receiving the signal. Replacing the EVIC finally fixed my problem. You can find them for sale on the classified section, if replacing TPS does not fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
cde02ltd

EVAP cel could be the lines going to the canister...or the ones going to the top of the gas tank. Had both go bad in ours. The gas tank had to be dropped to get to the lines on top of the tank. The rear bumper cover had to come off to get to the lines on the canister. I am at 81k on our 02, and just had the cam sensor replaced.
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
CA2VA
2004 WJ 

Had a bad vacuum line causing a large EVAP leak from the gas tank in an '04 Overland.
CA2VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
pkman
2002 WJ 

I finally took my '02 in to the dealer for a persistent P0456 code (Evap) and they said an update had never been added. Reprogrammed for $45 (CDN) and it took care of the problem.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.