Recall years - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Recall years

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Closed Thread
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #31
4Tom
2001 WJ 

^^
Very practical view and good solution.
Well done.

Tom
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #32
LouC
2007 WK 

Here's a pic of the ZJ skid, its pretty beefy and attaches with the same mounts as the trailer hitch. Check out the thickness of the skid....
zj-skid-hitch.jpg  
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #33
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2site View Post
bump... picture says it all.

I've heard all the the comebacks already...save your time...

P.S. If it were not for "alfaitalia" comments/attacks (as usual) I wouldn't have bothered posting on this... he seems to like to ignite tempers...
Are you trolling? Serious question. You keep stirring the pot in these threads.

MANY MANY MANY vehicles have rear-mounted fuel tanks. I have three, and only one of them is a Jeep. You seem to want to stir trouble after many people have offered you sound advice as to how to resolve your issue:

-sell your WJ to someone who will appreciate it
-trailer hitch + fuel skid (instead of brush guard)

Anything you do to change the structural integrity of your vehicle will void any claim you have against ANY insurance company, if you do ever have an issue from an accident(fire or not).

Your choices as of now:

-Go whine to the dealer, who is going to tell you there's no problem, and see if you can "score" a free hitch or tank skid.
-buy those items yourself and put them on

This is your last warning. Any more trolling and you'll have a JeepForum vacation.

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #34
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
This one dude:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...emedy-1541062/

Original poster asked for positive feedback and no mocking.

Usual anti-recall crowd replied negatively, mocked accordingly.

I accept there's no cause for panic with this issue, but I'm not sure why anybody is being mocked for discussing how to make their Jeep safer
Wow. That thread went on way too long. I stopped getting email notifications about it for some reason, so I didn't follow to the end. I wonder who closed it...

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #35
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Act of God closed that thread just before everyones head spontaneously exploded.

Tom
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #36
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

That thread nearly got rearended. Had to get it off the forum to make sure it didn't explode.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #37
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
You keep stirring the pot in these threads.
Hmmm....I started the thread about solutions...how is that stirring the pot?
And then I responded to the "better chance of getting hit by lightning" mentality...(which was put out to me in harsh tone)....what was wrong with that...am I supposed to be silent on that?

I guess if you have a different viewpoint then the majority here and want to come up with a real solution in a freeway speed impact than a hitch you get threatened with ostracizing. (P.S. The last victim had a hitch..in a WJ too.)

Like I stated earlier the ONLY reason I posted to this thread was in a knee-jerk reaction to so & so referring to some of us as "idiots"..we don't take kindly to be called "idiots"...would you??

I only know of Ford and Jeep/Dodge who put their tank in the back... just curious who else did ?
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #38
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I agree that name calling is not getting anything accomplished, however unless directed at a particular user, I can't do anything about it.

I have a Chevy Tracker (made by Suzuki--Vitara/Grand Vitara is same vehicle) and a Mazda wagon with behind the axle fuel tanks. The Honda Accord my wife had when we met was the same. There are MANY MANY vehicles with the tank mounted that way. It just so happens that A) some Jeeps sit at just the right height for this to be an issue, B) Grand Cherokees were one of the best selling vehicles ever, so there's TONS of them on the road--making the statistics higher for there to be an issue with them, and C)as stated in another thread, the NHTSA has always seemed to have "a thing out for Chrysler".

What it boils down to is that everyone concerned needs to visit their local Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer and ask for an inspection. If they state there's no issue, then all you can do is add a Jeep hitch and a Jeep skid to their Jeep vehicle to attempt to protect themselves. Anything more and you open yourself up personally, instead of the manufacturer, to lawsuits in the event of a crash and something bad happening. If adding these two items, and looking at the statistics don't satisfy your fears, then it's time to get rid of the Jeep for something you feel more comfortable driving.

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #39
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Toyota Nissan also in rear

The only car I can think of that was totally different was VW beetle it was under the front window with engine in rear didn't do good in front impacts.

Tom
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #40
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post

Wow. That thread went on way too long. I stopped getting email notifications about it for some reason, so I didn't follow to the end. I wonder who closed it...
Pretty sure it was billz.

This one needs to be locked too.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #41
LouC
2007 WK 

Well there are a number of vehicles that used rear mounted tanks, believe it or not, the Mercedes G-500 still does, go look under one.
Here are a few more
Ford Excursion
Older Chevrolet Suburbans
Older S10 Blazers
Bronco II
1st Gen Pathfinders
Older Mitsu Monteros
Ford CV, Mercury full size and All Lincoln Town Cars/Limousine variants.

Like I said all you can do is add the skid and hitch. It would be nice if the safety experts and NHTSA tested this to see if it actually helps. I think it would at least in some accidents but truthfully the rear structure of these Jeeps was not designed for the 50 mph rear impact test, and to expect it to pass that, is not reasonable.

One more thing, the first ZJs with this design were first sold in 1992, thats 21 years ago. The XJ which used a similar design, came out as an 84 model in 83. That's 30 years ago. Yes that long ago. Where were the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA and even Consumer Reports who tested XJs, ZJs and WJs numerous times and this was never mentioned. I'll tell you what I think, it took a few well publicized accident cases and the safety experts jumped on it, so they could be seen as "doing something about it". When no one was noticing, the accidents were happening then too. I find it interesting that the DOT/NHTSA did not change Federal Safety Standard 301 which has to do with rear impact safety from 1973 (set at 30 mph) until 2008, (set at 50 mph). If they felt this was a problem they surely were not in a hurry to "do something about it".
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #42
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

And even then, all the the people screaming about this didn't even consider it until the media put it in their heads. If they did, and still bough the vehicle, they can't blame anyone but themselves for the situation they are in.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #43
LouC
2007 WK 

One last thing, of the vehicles I mentioned, only the Ford CV was the subject of similar controversy and thats mainly because of police cruisers getting rear ended at well above design speeds. Those were well publicized cases. The other vehicles, well have not apparently had such cases, but the fallacy here, is that does not mean, that there have not been accidents and fatalities with them as well, in fact given their age and how long they were on the road, its more likely than not. But no one is talking about them.
And now that most SUVs have the tank moved from behind the axle, to under the driver side floor, what about side collisions? How soon before vehicles that met that standard, are going to get looked at when a few well publicized cases come up?
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #44
jamesnmandy
2001 WJ 

I think what a lot of people talking about "other vehicles with rear mounted tanks" fail to take into consideration is the rear geometry and bumper height of the WJ compared to the comparison vehicles.

Also what's even more important is the height and geometry of the front of the majority of vehicles that would be rearending a WJ combined with the WJs upturned rear end and prominent tank with no structure to protect it.

Even on level ground with vehicles still, most car front ends will be shoveling under a WJ rear. This become far more prevalent when you consider in most cases the driver of the car would likely have the front suspension bottomed out under emergency braking. When you combine the two I do think the WJ has a much higher propensity to sustain damage including fuel tank rupture. Of course this makes it more prone to a fire event.

I came here as a fellow WJ owner looking for verification of the same thing the OP simply asked. Is my 2001 WJ included in the voluntary recall or not? It appears it is. When convenient for me I plan to ask them to install the skid plate and or hitch which may help since it is usually my daughters and wife who are in it.

I think the people getting all emotional about this need a break. It's really easy to see there is a real increased risk and there is a real compromise that's been offered and nobody's opinion has anything to do with anyone else's decision to pursue or not a remedy.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #45
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnmandy View Post
I came here as a fellow WJ owner looking for verification of the same thing the OP simply asked. Is my 2001 WJ included in the voluntary recall or not? It appears it is. When convenient for me I plan to ask them to install the skid plate and or hitch which may help since it is usually my daughters and wife who are in it.
They will install it for you. Just bring the VISA
Closed Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.