Recall years - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Recall years

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Closed Thread
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #16
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
What is with all this talk? Do you know how many WJ's actually caught fire when rear ended and a ruptured fuel tank was the cause? If you want the world to be completely safe then stay inside. WJ's are safe vehicles. It's amazing how easy it is to put things in people's head and make them go crazy with fear. Same thing happened with the Ford Pinto. The media made it out to seem that the rear bumper cover was made of flint. And again, it was proven that they met all standards for the time they were made and even safer than some other cars on the road, same as the WJ today.
.....and the voice of common sense..........

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
4Tom
2001 WJ 

I know there isn't many WJ's in ireland and most of those are diesel. But never known or heard of one going on fire. However there is plenty of cars with wiring issues and poorly serviced catching alight while just been driven on motor ways.
I had a renault laguna that liked to burn its own wiring due to crappy switches and electrial connectors. Something I just don't have to worry about in the WJ.

Im not saying it never happens but I don't see posts "guess what my WJ burst into flames today" and there is a lot of WJ owners on here. The only thing I see is this type scare mongering thread being brought up from time to time. Its been debated to death many many many times.

I have to do a yearly state road test and its strict never a issue with the WJ and unless they forse me out of it I will happly continue driving it.

There is no such thing as a 100% safe vehicle, never was never will be.

Unless you do a tank tuck and move the tank into the spare wheel compartment then why ***** and moan and do nothing if its such a major concern. For what it is worth the only people who do the tank tuck is those wanting extra clearance off road.

Tom
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #18
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
What is with all this talk? Do you know how many WJ's actually caught fire when rear ended and a ruptured fuel tank was the cause? If you want the world to be completely safe then stay inside. WJ's are safe vehicles. It's amazing how easy it is to put things in people's head and make them go crazy with fear. Same thing happened with the Ford Pinto. The media made it out to seem that the rear bumper cover was made of flint. And again, it was proven that they met all standards for the time they were made and even safer than some other cars on the road, same as the WJ today.
If anyone is relying on the media as a sound source of factual information, they have bigger problems than their WJ potentially catching fire from a rear collision.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
If anyone is relying on the media as a sound source of factual information, they have bigger problems than their WJ potentially catching fire from a rear collision.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
This is sadly oh so true. The news media is way more concerned with entertaining people and keeping their attention and their own agendas then actually reporting factual news.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
It's not very nice to go around calling people idiots now is it.
In which case I apologise for the use of the word idiot......just give me a little time to think of a better, less offensive, one!
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
new2site
2002 WJ 

It's not a matter of odds/percentages...THE POINT is ...is that it's a horrible location...quit deflecting that with "how many / odds are"

Also, something else to chew on...goes without saying...but here's an article from a law firm with evidence/records of many of THESE that ruptured / leaked where the people got out....that DID NOT MAKE THE NHTSA list..or the 287 list... so a leak/rupture that was fortunately survived is JUST AS BAD.

From article:
" there have been fires (without fatalities) in these vehicles from rear impact crashes that have, or could have, led to deaths and injuries, and there have been leaks from Grand Cherokee and Liberty gas tanks from rear impact crashes that could have led to fire and death or injury. "
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2site View Post
It's not a matter of odds/percentages...THE POINT is ...is that it's a horrible location...quit deflecting that with "how many / odds are"

Also, something else to chew on...goes without saying...but here's an article from a law firm with evidence/records of many of THESE that ruptured / leaked where the people got out....that DID NOT MAKE THE NHTSA list..or the 287 list... so a leak/rupture that was fortunately survived is JUST AS BAD.

From article:
" there have been fires (without fatalities) in these vehicles from rear impact crashes that have, or could have, led to deaths and injuries, and there have been leaks from Grand Cherokee and Liberty gas tanks from rear impact crashes that could have led to fire and death or injury. "

Good luck living your life.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:

From article:
Really? You mean to tell me there's accidents happening every day where people could be injured or die? Say it ain't so!

How is this different from any other automobile on the road? There is potential for fire in just about any auto accident as there's lots of flammable fluids that can leak onto hot exhaust components besides gasoline.

I think the biggest problem people have with you is your entire approach to this topic. Every post is some snide comment about Chrysler, other forum members or using typical scare/hype tactics to 'prove' your points. You were even on NHTSA's side heralding them as champions of the safety of the common folk until the recall details came out at which point you quickly started bad mouthing them.

If you're that concerned about increasing the safety of your vehicle you'll drop all the political horse ****. I'll admit I was interested in the Firepanel stuff as a way to provide extra protection to the tank. All of your other ideas were complete garbage. In no way should anyone ever attempt to modify crush zones or add components that will transfer more impact energy into the passenger compartment in the name of safety. Especially if the vehicle is meant to be driven on public roads. I realize that many here add steel bumpers however the properly built ones bolt on to the existing substructure and allow crush zones to function as originally intended.

At this point you are your own worst enemy in trying to promote this topic, especially when posting photos of targets on the back of WJs. Keep it up.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
new2site
2002 WJ 

If it were not for "alfaitalia" comments/attacks (as usual) I wouldn't have bothered posting on this... he seems to like to ignite tempers...
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #26
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
If it were not for "alfaitalia" comments/attacks (as usual) I wouldn't have bothered posting on this... he seems to like to ignite tempers...
Give me a break. You and lazyWJ feed it just as much as he does.

But eye for an eye right?

Unread 07-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
new2site
2002 WJ 

No...WE discussed solutions.... "alfaitalia" attacked and mocked and stirred up the pot ..along with several others..YOURSELF included.
He responded back to "initial" attacks...maybe some responses should have been toned down a bit...
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #28
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
No...WE discussed solutions.... "alfaitalia" attacked and mocked and stirred up the pot ..along with several others..YOURSELF included.
He responded back to "initial" attacks...maybe some responses should have been toned down a bit...
And this why all your threads end up going no where. You need some thicker skin and the ability to ignore people if you want to play on the internet.

As for myself, I still stand by my statement that modifying your vehicle in such a way as to transfer more impact force into the passenger compartment in the event of a rear end collision is complete garbage. Which was the complete basis of your last thread save the last few pages, not to mention many posts in several other recall threads you posted in.

Good luck.

Unread 07-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
Marksikern

If all vehicles ran on diesel, I wouldn't give a second thought about it. Still don't really worry much because I'm not lifted and have a factory tow package and a skid plate. I'm just interested in what will happen when they start making them to run on LNG. That really ought to be interesting on how they manage to keep every vehicle from blowing up when they get rear ended.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
LouC
2007 WK 

For anyone who is concerned about this issue, you can install the factory heavy duty skid plate for the tank and the OE trailer hitch even if you don't tow. Both of these, shield that tank very well. The factory hitch sits between the bumper and the tank and the skid protects it from low cars under-riding the bumper. The factory tank skid (the standard on on the WJ is just a brush guard, the optional one is much thicker) on both the WJ and ZJs are strong enough to lift the Jeep from with a floor jack. I put the OE hitch and skid on my ZJ 15 years ago to make it as safe as I could. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact that should have been standard on vehicles with a rear mounted tank.
Closed Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.