rebuild door locks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rebuild door locks

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
grancherkee
2000 WJ 

rebuild door locks

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered but can't find it on various searches. Question is: has anyone cracked the rebuild of the door locks ie used substitute actuator motors in the oem door locks? There's a lot of coverage on adding aftermarket actuators for WJ's but nothing conclusive on rebuilding wj or similar oem doorlocks. Anybody done this or are people still shelling out for oem replacements or chancing 2nd hand units? Also, anbody know how the sensor part of the door locks work? My driver's door seems to have a sensor fault in that if I have the interior lights on and open the driver's door, the driver courtesy light goes out but comes on again if I close the door. All the other lights stay on but I have to turn on the ignition to reset the system before they will go off again. Thanks in advance for any info on either of these questions.

grancherkee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
torchd
1998 ZJ 

I'm curious too.. On my front pass. door, when you to lock/unlock the jeep, the door lock stays either locked or unlocked. Sometime it will cooperate if you lock/unlock the Jeep..

So can I buy a new mechinism?
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
grancherkee
2000 WJ 

Hi there torchd - living in the states i think u can buy a replacement latch assembly for around 70 bucks - over here in UK/France that's the price of a 2nd hand unit - which is just as liable to break as ur original. As far as I have researched the vast majority of faults are caused by the actuator motor or the plastic gearing wearing out (hence the quacking noise). I found a couple of instances on the web where someone had replaced an actuator motor in a Ford unit but nothing recent on this forum as to how to rebuild a JGC unit. That's what I was hoping to find here. If you wanna spend 70 bucks, the replacement process is well documented (wjjeeps.com) and pretty straightforward.
Unread 07-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

When mine went bad I picked a used one up from the pick-n-pull junk yard for 10 bucs. Has been working fine for 5 years. A pick-n-pull here has about 10 WJs so the parts are out there.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
grancherkee
2000 WJ 

I think that explains why nobody in the States needs to rip 'em apart. Over here junk yards charge 70bucks - if you can find a wj in there.

Tags
actuator , door latch , power door locks , sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.