Rear Wiper issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Wiper issue

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

Rear Wiper issue

Suddenly my rear wiper will not pick up from the ramp it sits in. If I turn on the switch I hear and see the arm try to pick up but it will not go anywhere. I assume the motor is good. I hear it trying to work. Would gears be tripped out or just something in the binding up the arm? I am kind of at a loss where to go on this issue so any help would be very much appreciated.

jamesrw30 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
jeepfvr

The nut that holds it from the back side may be allowing it to twist the motor itself inside the hatch. Take off the rear interior panel on the hatch turn on the rear wiper and see what it's doing.
jeepfvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

It sounds like the wiper blade is binding at the base of the glass.
Flip out the wiper arm as if you were going to replace the wiper blade and turn it on. That will tell you if it is capable of sweeping.
The arm may just need to be bent a little when parked to get he blade to go past the base of the glass.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

I have done both of these and gotten the same results. When I lift it as to change the blade it still doesn't sweep. Everything on the motor seems to be secure also. First thing I did was pull the panel off the inside of the door and everything seems to be as it should be.
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

take the wiper arm off and turn it on, then look to see if the motor shaft moves at all. I never use mine and it was crusted up from calcium/salt deposits and a little rust
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

Makes good sense. I have never pulled a wiper arm off an remember seeing something on wjjeeps.com that it requires a tool to do so. I think it said a battery terminal puller. Is this the case or can it be done without?
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

I used the claw side of a hammer and a piece of wood. to prevent dents.
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I did without. Remove the nut and tap the edges of the wiper base first though.
On the windshield wipers I was able to get a claw hammer under it and pry up with some layers of cardboard under the fulcrum point of the hammer to protect. Couple of taps, pull in different spot, repeat.
Rock the arm around a bit too. A little PB blaster sprayed in there will probably help.
Battery term puller is smarter though.

Re-assemble with anti-sieze on the shaft.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
DC99
2001 WJ 

In my case and others I read have the similar issue that the shaft get frozen in the housing from the elements. There is a nice right up but cant remember where I read it about removing the hatch cover, remove the motor assy and disassemble the motor to free it up, lube and reassemble. Maybe someone else can chime in on this issue. I did this with good results, never had a issue since.
DC99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

Thank you for the info everyone. I will look into this. Hopefully I can figure something out. It is at the body shop at the moment getting hail damage repaired so hopefully I can get on this once I get it back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.