Rear view camera HELP !!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear view camera HELP !!!!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Tony562

Wj Rear view camera HELP !!!!

Hello I have been trying to install my rear view camera on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and it has been a fail all I get is a black screen when switching to the reverse gear but when selecting manually it shows the image on the screen any help would be appreciated. Here's how I have it installed:

1. Yellow RCA connected to back of pioneer avh p1400 DVD
2. Red power wire from camera connected to head unit power 12V
3. Ground connected to a good ground source
4. Purple double din wire connected to purple reverse tail light wire purple and white I believe (not sure if this is the wire for the back up taillight bulb?)
5. Camera source off as pioneer suggested
6. Polarity on battery

Any help would be appreciated!

Tony562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
mountaintracker
2004 WJ 

I've installed a few backup cameras, so let me see if I can help you. I am not however familiar with the pioneer headunit, so that may issues. Lets first start with a better understanding of your symptoms versus goals.

Are you trying to have it so that you have the display show your backup camera source when you go into reverse gear?

Typically, the way that works is by having the camera power or camera power trigger line wired into your reverse light, so that your camera is only on when in reverse, and your not drawing current all the time on it. Some actually put a threeway switch in there for reverse or manual activation.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by purple double din, if your trying to figure out which the reverse wire is, I would pull the back lens and check the color or the wires on your reverse bulb. It is two screws to swing it out. I can't remember exactly which color it is, etc.

You also mention that when you select manual, I presume on the pioneer unit, you can get the image. Are you talking the camera image?

If your camera is already working, then its up to understanding how to set up the pioneer unit so that either is always on the source channel for your camera or if it switches to that active channel, some don't. Typically there is a default channel or way to set up through the unit to switch to an active source. Then it is just a matter of wiring your camera trigger, or power depending on the camera, to your rear lights.

If you can answer those two questions and maybe describe to me the way you have it wired, and more importantly, what wires you have and what they do, that would really help. Also just what your intent is as far as overall goal. There are just a few too many configurations to know how best to answer help given what you've said. But there are only a few ways to do it.
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
DavisI
2002 WJ 

I'd make sure you have the correct reverse light wire, that seems like its the issue here.
DavisI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
mountaintracker
2004 WJ 

Ok I just read through the head unit manual so disregard some of my questions, I understand your list a bit better now. So if I understand right, you've got the camera black grounded and red to the head unit. I presume that is the only two wires? On the head unit you have the polarity set at battery which sounds right based on the manual. The camera RCA to the "RC in" on the back of the head unit. It sounds like there are multiple videos in, so that is one to double check.

The question remains over whether your camera is working or not. If it is, and your just not getting it to switch over on reverse, then I would say its something to do with the reverse trigger wire. Two things I would do there. The first is ensuring you have tapped into the reverse lights, by tracing as I suggested. I have a voltmeter with little piercing prongs so I clamp one to a good ground then test probe the wires till I get the one that lights up to 12 volts when I shift into reverse. Purple/white rings a bell, but its been a while. You just need to make sure your tapping a volt line and not ground return, as the head unit is expecting voltage to hit that wire.
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Tony562

Alright thank you very much I will check that as soon as I get home.
Tony562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
berndog67
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony562 View Post
Alright thank you very much I will check that as soon as I get home.
let us know how u make out and what the correct wiring is, cuz im thinking of doing a similar setup for a reverse camera to help while wheeling!
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.