Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear swaybar endlinks upper bolt pattern.

873 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jleves61 
#1 ·
I bought new rear swaybar endlinks. I can get the lower ones off easily and have soaked the upper nut/bots with PB to sit overnight. Anyone know the nut and bolt size for the upper connection to the frame? Its all OEM. Im sure I have to go any buy a bigger box wrench that will fit since they look tight and hard to get at.

One more thing, is the bolt holding the upper endlink welded to the connector box?

Thanks

#2 ·
I can't quite remember but something tells me 18mm and 15mm. I'm literally pulling that from the back of my mind where it was stored there about 5 months or more ago. Keep that in mind.

Edit: Oops. I re-read your post. You're wanting rear... Give me a second here...

Edit #2: I'm going to go with 15mm for the upper rear. Take my advice with a grain of salt. It's been a while.

Edit #3: This is what it looks like when the link is removed. You can see the nut is permanently attached on the inside of the mount:

#5 ·
If you have access to a small torch (propane, MAPP gas) it will help you a lot. Heat the nut, spray with PB, let it sit for a few minutes, give a few light taps with a hammer to break up some of the rust, repeat process, bolt will come right out.

#6 ·
I usually just use a propane torch, heat it up really well, then spray it with cold water. (spray bottle works best) Should come right out.

#7 ·
Too afraid to use flame next to the gas tank. I'm just a weekend tinkerer and my jeep is in my garage at home. My luck I'd torch it all. I was able to get at the bushings on the sway bar though.
As soon as my Stillens come in from Kolak I'll have my shop put them on with these.

Motorola Razr

#8 ·
I literally did this same end link change last week. I think the nut was 16mm. Might have been 15mm. I also found out the inner threaded nut was welded on, only the outer nut needed to come off to take the bolt out that holds the end link to the frame. What really helped me was some liq wrench and I bought a pipe that just slid onto my socket wrench. The length of the pipe gave me extra torque with the wrench and that freed the bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.