Rear Suspension uneven? Left/Right +/- 1"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Suspension uneven? Left/Right +/- 1"?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Rear Suspension uneven? Left/Right +/- 1"?

Quick quesion?

I noticed tonight that my Jeep looked a little uneven in the back so I got under it and took some measurements. I found that the right rear is 1" lower than the left? I measured from the top of the uni-body to the bottom coil bucket and it is definately off. The only thing that can be off is the spring or the way the spring is seated and it looks normal on the top and bottom? I guess the only real way to tell is remove them and compare right?

Now, here is my real question:

I have only 3300 miles on this suspension and have only mildly wheeled it. I have fully flexed it but would/can that create a 1" difference that quickly? The lift has been installed for aprox 7 months and has 3357 miles on the Jeep. I never looked closely enough to determine if it has been like this for some time or just recently? I have the Teraflex coils, do you think they will stand behind their product or assume that I did something to cause the sag?

I wouldnt think you can collapse a spring with normal use but then again can flexing it do this?

Not sure what I should do?

Kevin J. Bentley

Bentley Project - Build Thread
lvum4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Try swapping springs from side to side. If the problem stays with the spring, exchange them through Teraflex.

IDK where you hell you measured from, but try measuring from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom lip of the fender.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Well, I cut the fenders to install the flares so I cant be sure they are evenly cut so I decided to run a tape measure straight up the spring to the bottom of the unibody so I feel confident is measured evenly for both sides. The spring is definately 1" shorter on the right side.

Has anyone heard of a spring variance after 7 months or 3300 miles? I dont know if it is possible for me to have caused it wheeling or is it obviously a defective spring? I would think you can flex all the springs fully and they should return to their normal size?

Kevin J. Bentley

Unread 03-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvum4x4 View Post
Has anyone heard of a spring variance after 7 months or 3300 miles? I dont know if it is possible for me to have caused it wheeling or is it obviously a defective spring? I would think you can flex all the springs fully and they should return to their normal size?
Wheeling within that short amount of time will not cause sag, especially just to one spring. The springs either came like that, or your Jeep just isnt level.

It will not be obviously a defective spring until you swap the springs side-to-side to determine if its your Jeep or the spring/s.

Yes, you can flex all the springs fully and they should return to their normal size.
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

How are your spring isolators? If one of those were in bad shape it could account for some of the variance, although not the full inch.

I just replaced my rear isolators, and one of them was in much worse shape than the other, that's why I mention this.

Probably the springs though, when I installed my Rancho rear springs I had the same problem, I ended up exchanging them and that fixed the problem, mostly.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Turn the Jeep around and park it in the same exact spot, facing the other way, and measure again. It could just be the way it's sitting.

Might as well eliminate the cheap stuff first, right?
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Make Sure the ground is level.
Swap springs side to side.
Inspect upper and lower isolators.

After doing those things you should be able to get a good idea of whats going on.

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan888 View Post
Turn the Jeep around and park it in the same exact spot, facing the other way, and measure again. It could just be the way it's sitting.

Yea make sure you're measuring on flat/level concrete.
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Thanks guys, I am going to tear into it this weekend and see if I can find out what is going on. I have to run my backup camera anyway so it looks like i can swap the springs out while I am in there...

I hope it turns out to be something simple because I dont think I have done anything abusive in terms of wheeling.

I will swap them out and take some good quality pics and post back with my findings.

Sucks because I should be out having fun but instead I am going to be under the Jeep

Kevin J. Bentley

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

If you dont think you did anything abusive, then im sure you didnt.
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I cant imagine any sort of wheeling would cause the springs to wear like that. Springs hold up pretty well. Another thing to check is some people I have seen like to carry big heavy tool boxs, subwoofers, fat chicks, tow ropes, and other goods in the back, Make sure its evenly distributed and not on one side or the other.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatman View Post
Another thing to check is some people I have seen like to carry big heavy tool boxs, subwoofers, fat chicks, tow ropes, and other goods in the back, Make sure its evenly distributed and not on one side or the other.
IMO that doesnt really matter. I once had a couple people sit on one side of my Jeep (maybe 350 pounds total) and it didnt affect my measurements. Then again maybe that was my Clayton springs and not the ****ty IRO springs.
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan888 View Post
I had a lot of wiring work to do on the Jeep this weekend so I didnt get a chance to look at the suspension until last night. Just as I was getting ready to start tearing things down to swap out/inspect the coils I decided to try CrazyIvan888's idea to turn the Jeep around in the driveway. Thanks for reminding me about checking for level ground. My driveway is long and flat (or so it appeared). I pulled the Jeep out and turned it around the other way and guess what, I was now an inch (or so) lower on the other side so I am relieved to say the least.

My ride is so nice that I have been leaving my front sway bar disconnected and I was told that leaving it disco'd will make it "float/rock" around much more and evidently it turned my Jeep into "the leaning tower of pisa" in my driveway.

Thanks again for all your help and if anyone has this issue, it is much easier to just turn the Jeep around in the driveway to see if it leans the other way before you start tearing things apart.

....so relieved I dont have to do any more wrenching.

Kevin J. Bentley

Last edited by lvum4x4; 03-22-2010 at 10:38 AM..
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatman View Post
I cant imagine any sort of wheeling would cause the springs to wear like that. Springs hold up pretty well. Another thing to check is some people I have seen like to carry big heavy tool boxs, subwoofers, fat chicks, tow ropes, and other goods in the back, Make sure its evenly distributed and not on one side or the other.
hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
IMO that doesnt really matter. I once had a couple people sit on one side of my Jeep (maybe 350 pounds total) and it didnt affect my measurements. Then again maybe that was my Clayton springs and not the ****ty IRO springs.
zing

lvum, thats funny too, awhile back my dad swore up and down that the jeep was tilted when he was driving behind me but i got on level ground and whipped out the tape and he seemed pretty embarrassed because he swore so adamantly that it was uneven and i was stupid for spending money on it.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

hahaha James I was afraid no one would catch my little joke there but you did. Nice!

Congrats, that was an easy fix.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.