• 1 Post By Ravenbar
  • 2 Post By 97Mule

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-20-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Rear storage system? Anyone have one?

I'm thinking about building a rear shelf/drawer system for the rear of my WJ. The intention being to elevate my cargo up just high enough that I can access the tire well without unloading my very heavy 3 drawer toolbox(75+Lbs). I'm thinking a 3-4" tall platform, that comes out 1/3 of the way from the rear seat(basically, where the front of the toolbox sits, when the back is up against the seat + an inch or 2 so I can open the toolbox).

I've also got a box that I store misc emergency/survival type stuff in asn a couple Ammo cans I keep fluids & spare bits & pieces in(zip ties, electric tape, nuts & bolts, etc). I'm thinking of having the toolbox on one side and having drawers on the other or putting the toolbox center(to center the weight in the vehicle) & having drawers(for emergency box contents)/slots(for the ammo cans) on either side. Also maybe having the toolbox slide forward(I have some heavy duty server slides that I think would work, but might bee too long). Anchoring would be bolting it down using the rear seat back mounting bolts.

I like having a space between the seat back and the toolbox where I can store long items such as my axe, snow brush, Mud'n'snow traction mats, etc, so I'd probably put a rear wall behind the toolbox

Anyone have pictures of anything like this they've done? Ideas/thoughts? Unsure if I want to build it out of wood, steel, or a combination of the 2. Biggest concern is carrying the weight of the toolbox to the sides far enough to clear the tire well cover.

lowendan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-20-2017, 10:24 PM
lowendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
I'm thinking about building a rear shelf/drawer system for the rear of my WJ. The intention being to elevate my cargo up just high enough that I can access the tire well without unloading my very heavy 3 drawer toolbox(75+Lbs). I'm thinking a 3-4" tall platform, that comes out 1/3 of the way from the rear seat(basically, where the front of the toolbox sits, when the back is up against the seat + an inch or 2 so I can open the toolbox).

I've also got a box that I store misc emergency/survival type stuff in asn a couple Ammo cans I keep fluids & spare bits & pieces in(zip ties, electric tape, nuts & bolts, etc). I'm thinking of having the toolbox on one side and having drawers on the other or putting the toolbox center(to center the weight in the vehicle) & having drawers(for emergency box contents)/slots(for the ammo cans) on either side. Also maybe having the toolbox slide forward(I have some heavy duty server slides that I think would work, but might bee too long). Anchoring would be bolting it down using the rear seat back mounting bolts.

I like having a space between the seat back and the toolbox where I can store long items such as my axe, snow brush, Mud'n'snow traction mats, etc, so I'd probably put a rear wall behind the toolbox

Anyone have pictures of anything like this they've done? Ideas/thoughts? Unsure if I want to build it out of wood, steel, or a combination of the 2. Biggest concern is carrying the weight of the toolbox to the sides far enough to clear the tire well cover.
No suggestions, but want to build something like that myself. I am thinking of something slim along either side of the spare well. Right now I have a milk crate held in place with a couple of bungees. Need something neater and more secure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 AM
WJBeau
2003 WJ 

I am getting an 03 Overland and my plan is to add a roof rack for the spare, then locate a second battery, compressor and tank in the well for air-ups after wheelin. I am going to locate a air intake, air nipple and toggle switch outside the well so it will not need to be accessed but for maintenance.

Since the well can now be covered, my plan is to build a set of long slider drawers and a couple cabinets for gear, camp stuff...bug out stuff...and probably an ARB 12v cooler

post #4 of 4 Old 08-21-2017, 10:38 AM
97Mule
2002 WJ 

Garage
This is what i got!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2135.jpg   IMG_2136.jpg  
tjmaximus and Ravenbar like this.

WHAT'S THE WORSE THAT CAN HAPPEN?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.